RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto Wipers - A mind of their own?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 04:10 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had that happen very very rarely on my 2011 RX 450h. I never had that with my 2007 IS 350.
Old 03-28-12, 03:44 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave my rain sensing wipers in AUTO but sometimes when it starts to rain, the wiper will not activate unless I toggle the switch to OFF and then AUTO. This only happens on occasion when I start up the car in rain with the switch already in AUTO position before I start the car. Has anyone else experienced this symptom?
Old 03-28-12, 04:35 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
I leave my rain sensing wipers in AUTO but sometimes when it starts to rain, the wiper will not activate unless I toggle the switch to OFF and then AUTO. This only happens on occasion when I start up the car in rain with the switch already in AUTO position before I start the car. Has anyone else experienced this symptom?
I do the same on my RX400h, but found I needed to adjust the sensitivity a little so they would come on with a "heavy drizzle" vs. just a "downpour". I just keep it in AUTO and that special sensitivity setting, and it works well for me most of the time.
Old 03-28-12, 05:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Because the device is designed with some 'logic' programed into it and variables such as bugs, dust, speed, condensation, etc, its not perfect all the time. There are times it will be lacking but most of the time it should perform well.

Mine screws up once in a while, but probably not as much as me . Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.
Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Old 03-28-12, 07:05 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the 400h's were bad in mist but the current model is worse. I've had to resort to leaving it off and then manually doing a single wipe during mist until it finally rains.
Old 03-29-12, 09:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I find the auto wipers typically need a boost to get going and do their job pretty well after. Fine mist is always problematic. Usually they'll work better at greater speed. Adjusting the sensitivity, even temporarily, helps too.
Old 03-29-12, 10:13 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i feel the sensitivity switch does nothing. lol

I keep it on off until it starts to rain, then I switch it to auto. Otherwise there are too many random swipes
Old 03-29-12, 07:58 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I find the auto wipers typically need a boost to get going and do their job pretty well after. Fine mist is always problematic. Usually they'll work better at greater speed. Adjusting the sensitivity, even temporarily, helps too.
This is exactly how my auto wipers work. It's mainly only when there's a misty-type of a drizzle going on that I have to help them along by toggling down to full wipe mode. Otherwise, they work like a charm. In fact, they work so well, I'm officially spoiled by them. Probably one of my favorite things that the RX has on it!
Old 03-29-12, 09:21 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

They work well here but we get over 65" of rain a year here so they get a good workout every week.
Old 06-23-13, 06:22 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I leave mine on auto and my windshield could be fully covered by water from light drizzle and the damn wiper still doesn't move until I move it manually...I have already adjusted the sensitivity but still doesn't work...oh well this is the most disappointing Lexus I ever bought...
Old 06-23-13, 08:16 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Mine used to not go on for mist and I'd keep turning them on/off, but last time my car was serviced they did some update and miraculously my wipers are a different animal.
Old 06-23-13, 10:20 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Mine used to not go on for mist and I'd keep turning them on/off, but last time my car was serviced they did some update and miraculously my wipers are a different animal.
Could you tell me what kind of update is it? Thanks!
Old 06-24-13, 06:07 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I hate to admit it, but I have no clue. They mentioned something about updating the navigation system, but whatever they did, it improved the windshield wiper efficiency. I did notice a change in the navigation display, too.
Old 06-29-13, 12:46 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davezaristo
I leave mine on auto and my windshield could be fully covered by water from light drizzle and the damn wiper still doesn't move until I move it manually...I have already adjusted the sensitivity but still doesn't work...oh well this is the most disappointing Lexus I ever bought...
Dave, are you sure the wiper stalk is in the proper mode? It can be difficult to tell if the stalk is in automatic mode. It's just one step down from the off position. To this day I sometimes have to check if the stalk is in off mode, particularly after I've turned it off when I'm in a car wash. I've had my RX for almost three years and except for mist-type rains, the auto wipers work great!
Old 07-04-13, 09:32 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Dave, are you sure the wiper stalk is in the proper mode? It can be difficult to tell if the stalk is in automatic mode. It's just one step down from the off position. To this day I sometimes have to check if the stalk is in off mode, particularly after I've turned it off when I'm in a car wash. I've had my RX for almost three years and except for mist-type rains, the auto wipers work great!
Yes I have checked many times and it was at the auto position..I have complained to the dealer once and we did the bucket water test and it worked fine in auto mode... the issue is when it is foggy and Misty and when the water builds up slowly, the auto mode does not work even the entire windshield is covered with water... the reason this function is very important is I live in the sf bay area and it is foggy all the time..anyhow the rx is in the shop now and I spoke to the SA and he acknowledge the problem but he said there is no fix! I am shocked to hear that and all he said was called 180025lexus to complain..I am already hating the car and it only have 4500 miles and with so many problems...anyway if any of you have experienced it and know of a fix, please share that with me as I now have to manually move the stalk all the time when it is foggy. .

Quick Reply: Auto Wipers - A mind of their own?