RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto Wipers - A mind of their own?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 09:48 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrington
Yeah, mine does that too. Some of those systems pick up sound so something may have triggered it? I drove down 101 near Brisbane and mine wiped 1 time. For the most part it works well. All these features are nice and hopefully we don't have a lot of problems with it. I'm lost when I drive my 04 4runner, I still need to turn on the headlights, wipers, dim the high beams, push a button on the remote to get in and put a key in the ignition to start it. Hey on a side note I see you are from San Bruno, are you a Toto's Pizza Fan?

LOL! That sounds like me whenever I've driven a rental car. I feel lost without all the little nice techie things that are on the RX; i.e., the auto headlights, auto high beams, auto wipers, smart access, power tilt steering wheel, memory seats, memory mirrors. Geez, the RX really spoils us, doesn't it?
Old 03-15-11, 10:00 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I leave it off when driving in sunny day. Just turn it on when it rains.
Porsche turns it off automatically when engine off. That's great design because you will never get accidental wipe.
Old 03-15-11, 10:05 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
Porsche turns it off automatically when engine off. That's great design because you will never get accidental wipe.
Not sure what you mean by that. In our case they just randomly wipe while driving on a dry day and set to auto. I do not think they wipe when the car is off.
Old 03-15-11, 10:16 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
No such issues with my rain-sensing wipers on my 2010 RX. This is one of my favorite features on my car, and I loved having it on the '07 RX also. The only time I might have to help the wipers along is when there is a light mist-type rain and they don't always come on when I think they need to, so i do a quick flick with the wiper stalk. But, otherwise, they work great!
Thanks for rubbing it in to us sad sack 2011 owners
Old 03-15-11, 11:47 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by ggravant
Not sure what you mean by that. In our case they just randomly wipe while driving on a dry day and set to auto. I do not think they wipe when the car is off.
Many people manually turns it off when they turn off the car to avoid the random wipe next time. (The random wipe happens because it is on/auto). The wiper in Porsche goes to off automatically when you turn off the car.
Old 03-16-11, 12:38 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

but...that is only good if you are operating on the assumption that you want to manually return on the auto wipers everytime it rains.

A lot of drivers like myself leave it on auto all the time for a reason -- so that it wipes automatically when it starts to rain so that we dont need to turn it on in addition to not needing to adjust the timing per wipe. So in this case, the porsche system would drive me nuts haha
Old 03-16-11, 05:54 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
but...that is only good if you are operating on the assumption that you want to manually return on the auto wipers everytime it rains.

A lot of drivers like myself leave it on auto all the time for a reason -- so that it wipes automatically when it starts to rain so that we dont need to turn it on in addition to not needing to adjust the timing per wipe. So in this case, the porsche system would drive me nuts haha
x2. I now realize that he meant that it automatically takes it out of auto mode when you turn off the car. That would be kinda frustrating ...
Old 03-16-11, 09:28 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF

True. If you want it to leave it as auto, Lexus way is better. I turn it off to prevent any accidental wipe in car wash etc, so Porsche way is better for me. Can't make everyone happy
Old 03-16-11, 09:32 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by ggravant
x2. I now realize that he meant that it automatically takes it out of auto mode when you turn off the car. That would be kinda frustrating ...
Most of rains sensor manufacturers recommend to turn it off for the reason I stated above. Using it that way for many years, I agree with their recommendation.
Old 03-16-11, 12:39 PM
srhoda
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like this might be a issue with 2011 models. My wife's ES and my RX (450h) both randomly wipe even on sunny days (both are 2011 models).
Old 03-16-11, 03:08 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
Most of rains sensor manufacturers recommend to turn it off for the reason I stated above. Using it that way for many years, I agree with their recommendation.
I think the reason it is frustrating is that if it turns off every time, then you will get conditioned to not use it at all and they just end up being not much more convenient or useful than regular intermittent wipers.

I personally do not care that much about it since it does not rain that much here in Colorado, but it is interesting that the 2010s seem act differently than the 2011s. Who knows ... maybe a TSB is in our future :-)
Old 03-19-11, 09:02 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually turn it off when I don't need it.

But, sometimes I leave it on and they never sweep across the windshield when no rain. However, when in the dark condition during the rain, my wipers sometimes will not act until it's getting brighter or I turn-off-on again.
Old 04-14-11, 07:01 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by zak21
I guess I'm in the minority here. I love the auto function and leave it on all the time. It always works flawlessly for us although I do have the sensitivity set all the way down.
I also like the auto feature. Where can I find the sensitivity setting?
Maybe I should read the manual but I thought you may have a quicker answer.

Old 04-14-11, 08:06 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sensitivity adjustment is right on the stalk with all the other controls for the wipers.
Old 04-16-11, 09:02 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

I have turned mine off as well, as they have randomly wiped a few times over the past week. Not really much of an issue here, though, in upstate NY since it rains at least 4 days a week!

Quick Reply: Auto Wipers - A mind of their own?