RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX dissapointment #13

Old 02-21-11, 12:25 PM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX dissapointment #13

Today I drove my daughther's RAV4 and to my surprise I saw that the image of the backup camera on the rear view mirror is double the size than on my wife's RX. The quality also seemed much sharper.
How is it possible that a $40K + car once again comes short to a $25K car, and from the same manufacturer to top it off!?
Old 02-21-11, 01:58 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lalin
Today I drove my daughther's RAV4 and to my surprise I saw that the image of the backup camera on the rear view mirror is double the size than on my wife's RX. The quality also seemed much sharper.
How is it possible that a $40K + car once again comes short to a $25K car, and from the same manufacturer to top it off!?
But the RAV 4 doesn't have the V6 with all the appts of the RX either.

And also it doesn't get serviced near the complimentary Latte bar while they hand you the $400 bill for 10K tire rotation and oil change
Old 02-21-11, 02:32 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter

And also it doesn't get serviced near the complimentary Latte bar while they hand you the $400 bill for 10K tire rotation and oil change
Actually, the RAV4 DOES have the RX's V6 as an option, its rated just 6 less HP (@ 269hp).
Old 02-21-11, 02:55 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter

That's not the point. I am not saying that the RAV is a better car than the RX.
My complain is that Lexus took the cheap road in MANY instances compared with cars that cost almost half of it.
Just a couple of examples:
My Pilot shows which tire is low and which door is opened. The RX does not.
The Pilot as ALL the buttons lit up. The RX does not.
Every single Toyota V6, and even MANY 4 cylinder cars have dual exhausts. The RX has one.
No full size spare tire.
A coin holder designed for a 99 cent store.
No sun glasses holder.
All those improvements dont add up more than a couple hundred dollars, especially at the manufacturers level.
A luxury car that is supposed to be "the pursuit of perfection" and omits such basic things falls quite short in my book.
Old 02-21-11, 03:02 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

That's not the point. I am not saying that the RAV is a better car than the RX.
My complain is that Lexus took the cheap road in MANY instances compared with cars that cost almost half of it.
Just a couple of examples:
My Pilot shows which tire is low and which door is opened. The RX does not.
The Pilot as ALL the buttons lit up. The RX does not.
Every single Toyota V6, and even MANY 4 cylinder cars have dual exhausts. The RX has one.
No full size spare tire.
A coin holder designed for a 99 cent store.
No sun glasses holder.
All those improvements dont add up more than a couple hundred dollars, especially at the manufacturers level.
A luxury car that is supposed to be "the pursuit of perfection" and omits such basic things falls quite short in my book.
All worthy valid points. I'm wondering if you didn't test drive enough vehicles before you decided to buy the RX?
Old 02-21-11, 03:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wait...the size of the nav on the Rav4 is double that of the RXs? I highly doubt that. The RX nav screen is quite large by industry standards. thats 8 inches diagonally, unless you didnt get nav and got the rearview camera in the rear view mirror.

also I would like to address that the RX does show which door is opened on the multi information display.
Old 02-21-11, 03:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
wait...the size of the nav on the Rav4 is double that of the RXs? I highly doubt that. The RX nav screen is quite large by industry standards. thats 8 inches diagonally, unless you didnt get nav and got the rearview camera in the rear view mirror.

also I would like to address that the RX does show which door is opened on the multi information display.
Never let facts get in the way of a good rant!!
My Camry has the same NAV screen as the RAV4 and it's smaller.
He's got to be talking about the rear view mirror camera picture.
Old 02-21-11, 04:24 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF

Of course I am referring to the image in the mirror. I clearly stated that on my initial post
("Today I drove my daughther's RAV4 and to my surprise I saw that the image of the backup camera on the rear view mirror is double the size than on my wife's RX. The quality also seemed much sharper")
Old 02-21-11, 04:25 PM
ejvette
Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
The RAV4 V6 is also a thousand pound lighter and much faster, 0-60 is about 6.2 sec. on the RAV4 V6. I think the OP should trade in his RX immediately for the RAV4 V6.
Amen brother ! sell that rx immediately and get yourself a rav4 you shouldn't have to tolerate that small blurry backup camera another minute LOL!
Old 02-21-11, 04:43 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't want to sound like the Lexus Nanny, but one should not be depending solely on the rearview mirror camera while backing up. Kids or people darting from the sides can easily be missed until they are right in your path. It is an adjunct, unless one is stuck in a neck brace I suppose. We are quite happy with our mirror camera display. We're not looking to avoid pebbles, but larger objects like kids, bikes, skateboards, dog, cat...all of which can easily be seen with the Rx mirror camera size.

Regards,

Lexus Nanny
Old 02-21-11, 05:11 PM
RXSF

Of course I am referring to the image in the mirror. I clearly stated that on my initial post
("Today I drove my daughther's RAV4 and to my surprise I saw that the image of the backup camera on the rear view mirror is double the size than on my wife's RX. The quality also seemed much sharper")
yes I missed that. apologies on that part.
Old 02-21-11, 05:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy a 3.5" size screen rear view mirror from Gentex.You probably have the standard Toyota 2.4" screen.
Makes a big difference.
Old 02-21-11, 08:15 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little off topic here, prior to purchasing the RX I got to test drive also the Q5 as another vehicle choice back then. The backup camera on that one has the grid lines which shows you approximately how far your rear bumper is away from the object. I just wish the RX camera has that feature also
Old 02-21-11, 09:16 PM
RXSF

the RX camera does have grid lines overseas, but its not enabled for the US. Im sure some secret menu (if we knew how to access it) would have an option to turn it on
Old 02-21-11, 09:45 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

My RX has a massive backup camera buried in the dash. And a nifty camera under the passenger side mirror. And parking sensors. I really have no problem figuring out how far I am from obstructions.

And dual exhaust? Really? There is NO need for that on an RX. It's not like a dual exhaust is going to flow any better or be any quieter. Aesthetically, the exhaust is pretty much hidden anyways.

The only shortfall I've found is the lack of backlighting in the overhead buttons. Things that make you go "meh."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX dissapointment #13