RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 09:06 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Most postings mean very little

I'll have to reiterate, that posting gas mileage for city driving, or around town, or mixed.......means very little for comparison purposes. There are much too many variables in both conditions, and the way people drive. Mixed, or city driving can be half interstate and half local roads or all local roads, flat or very hilly terrain, many stop signs (or lights) or just a few, long stops with idling or very little idling. On top of that, the way you drive has a big effect also. Every time you press on the brake, or the gas pedal, you are reducing mileage. When sitting at a stoplight, idling, you are getting zero mpg. Aggressive driving reduces gas mileage. Driver technique varies widely.
For those reasons, only highway or interstate driving gives a good comparison. Even then, driving technique, speed, hills, and heavy traffic can alter figures.....not to mention the variables in gasoline.
Old 06-07-16, 07:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
I'll have to reiterate, that posting gas mileage for city driving, or around town, or mixed.......means very little for comparison purposes. There are much too many variables in both conditions, and the way people drive. Mixed, or city driving can be half interstate and half local roads or all local roads, flat or very hilly terrain, many stop signs (or lights) or just a few, long stops with idling or very little idling. On top of that, the way you drive has a big effect also. Every time you press on the brake, or the gas pedal, you are reducing mileage. When sitting at a stoplight, idling, you are getting zero mpg. Aggressive driving reduces gas mileage. Driver technique varies widely.
For those reasons, only highway or interstate driving gives a good comparison. Even then, driving technique, speed, hills, and heavy traffic can alter figures.....not to mention the variables in gasoline.
Agreed ^^^^^
Old 06-13-16, 04:45 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
I would agree. Let me add---- a friend bought the new 2016 RX 350. I thought my mpg was bad on my 2013--- well--- the 2016 is worse,both on city streets and highway. Not only ugly-- my opinion--but horrid mpg. Has owned for about three months and ready to dump for a new Valvo SUV.
Old 06-14-16, 01:25 PM
msubee
Rookie

Originally Posted by snowman22
I would agree. Let me add---- a friend bought the new 2016 RX 350. I thought my mpg was bad on my 2013--- well--- the 2016 is worse,both on city streets and highway. Not only ugly-- my opinion--but horrid mpg. Has owned for about three months and ready to dump for a new Valvo SUV.
How much worse the mpg on your friend's 2016 RX if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-20-16, 04:58 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350BABY
How much worse the mpg on your friend's 2016 RX if you don't mind me asking?
This is just around town. No highway. Plus she has a heavy foot, I use to average in summer about 16 overall. Mine was a all,wheel drive. So is hers. Mine was a 6'speed automatic the 2016 is now 8 speed. Would think mpg would be better because of that alone. Anyway--- she says about 15-18 mpg. Now with that said-- the car was new. Not many miles at the time. Could be that would improve. Soooooo-- mpg is not all that much worse. She also,said the ride is much stiffer than her 2010 and the new seats seem hard in comparisons. Remember-- you could probably do better mpg with a lighter foot and better driving technique. She also,said the car is like a Thomas English muffin. So many nooks and crannies that washing is a pain--- yep-- a lady washing her own car---
So good luck. Enjoy.
Old 06-22-16, 05:44 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by snowman22
She also,said the ride is much stiffer than her 2010 and the new seats seem hard in comparisons. Remember-- you could probably do better mpg with a lighter foot and better driving technique. She also,said the car is like a Thomas English muffin. So many nooks and crannies that washing is a pain--- yep-- a lady washing her own car---
So good luck. Enjoy.
I completely agree with her on ride and seat quality. I drove 2016- I felt the seats were not as comfortable. They seemed like a minor step up from NX200t (which I have - my wife's car). 2015 drove like butter. It was not hard to go for 2015 even though we liked the interior of 2016 better. However, looks like 2015 is going to be my last RX unless they change seats and drive feel.

Update on my mpg: In warmer/summer months - its gone up to 23 mpg - 70% highway - 30% city. Winter is usually about 22. And that 23 is pretty bang on - i get about 345-347 miles with 15 gallons. I always use Premium gas (highest octane). I know it doesn't make much of a difference but I do have OCD. It will give me sleepless nights if I don't.
Old 06-27-16, 04:39 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by chandlervt
I completely agree with her on ride and seat quality. I drove 2016- I felt the seats were not as comfortable. They seemed like a minor step up from NX200t (which I have - my wife's car). 2015 drove like butter. It was not hard to go for 2015 even though we liked the interior of 2016 better. However, looks like 2015 is going to be my last RX unless they change seats and drive feel.

Update on my mpg: In warmer/summer months - its gone up to 23 mpg - 70% highway - 30% city. Winter is usually about 22. And that 23 is pretty bang on - i get about 345-347 miles with 15 gallons. I always use Premium gas (highest octane). I know it doesn't make much of a difference but I do have OCD. It will give me sleepless nights if I don't.
That probably follows my friends mpg. But hers is city street driving only. So I guessing mpg would follow,suit with what you would get. I tried the higher octane gasoline. My mpg actually dropped considerably. Don't know why. This was with my 2015 hybrid. Mpg was great. Then I had to diddle with it with high test, and son of a gun if it doesn't drop. One lousy tank mind you. It took months to regain the stellar mpg I was getting. It is now back to great mpg,but it sure took time. Someone said it was because of the computer and how it dictates mpg. I really don't know. I will say I'll never do higher octane gasoline again. Go figure. Also--- I will hang onto my 2015 as well. Leaning towards the new 2017 Volvo SUV. It is drop dead georgous. Take a look online or the latest motor trend mag. Lexus really messed up with their style department. Can't figure out what they were thinking.
Old 07-10-16, 06:41 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

On a non stop hwy drive, I avg 24-25.5 mpg driving around 75 mph. But it could get down to 16 mpg in city driving. When I'm driving the wife's RX350, I get about 2 more mpg than her.
Old 07-13-16, 11:06 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Remove all unneeded weight.
Use cruise control only on level roads. When it tries to maintain set speeds up hills it ruins gas mileage.
Remove roof rack cross bars.
I keep tires inflated to 2psi below max on tire sidewall.

Do I save money be using Regular gasoline which often is 20¢ less than MidGrade?
Or better to use MidGrade?
Thank you.
Old 07-18-16, 05:07 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by chandlervt

Took my 2015 450h in for a oil change and tire rotation. They gave me a 2016 RX 350 as a loaner. No offense to anyone that has one but my findings are---- first off cheap looking inside and out. Interior is laid out by a 3 year old. Goofy little cheap switches,dials,buttons and no rime nor reason where they are placed. Ugly dash with a hideous looking fixed screen on top of the dash. That's all you see when driving. Also has crap grafics. Seats are like a bleacher at the ball game. Exterior wheel openings with plastics,cheap inserts. Cheap feel and look. Then that ugly duck beek has the cheapest plastic grill I have ever seen. Flick it with you fingernail and it quivers. Very cheap. This car has to be a one year deal. If not Lexus IS going down the wrong path. Their whole lineup including Toyota as well are some of the worst looking vehicles I have ever seen. But the R X--- their flagship--- OMG--- what were they thinking. My next vehicle will have to be in the Volvo or --- even the new Lincoln or Cadillac SUV. Never thought I would say that,but it's the truth.
Old 07-19-16, 08:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

wow? i have yet to drive one. so now i`ll know what to look for thanks.
Old 07-19-16, 11:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's all personal taste. I think the 4RX interior blows the 3RX interior away.

But back to the thread topic of fuel mileage...

Recent weekend trip, 200 miles each way, speed limits 60 and 70 mph (about half and half). Returned just a hair over 23 mpg both ways in our '13 RX. Ours is AWD with about 29k miles on it.
Old 07-20-16, 07:28 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's all personal taste. I think the 4RX interior blows the 3RX interior away.

But back to the thread topic of fuel mileage...

Recent weekend trip, 200 miles each way, speed limits 60 and 70 mph (about half and half). Returned just a hair over 23 mpg both ways in our '13 RX. Ours is AWD with about 29k miles on it.
Whoops. Sorry. I did get off topic. Just got on a roll with what I saw and drove.
Old 07-25-16, 06:08 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
That is about what I have gotten on the highway since I bought my 2013.
Old 07-25-16, 09:08 AM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Recent trip encountering several stop and go traffic along the route (LA Traffic) and got 20 mpg 2015 RX350 8800 miles

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread