RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 02:08 PM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the solution to improve the mileage if was getting in my 2011 RX350. I traded it in for a 2014 Acura MDX. Ok, not the answer everyone was looking for but since I did get the MDX I figured I would just share some info. I didn't completely abandon Lexus though as I also just got a 2014 ES350 as a daily driver. The MDX I got is the top of the line AWD Advance with Entertainment model and my previous RX350 was AWD as well.
MDX pros:
Better fuel economy. I get 28-29 mpg highway. On a recent ski trip including driving up the mountain to 8000ft, I averaged 25.4mpg for the whole trip. In the RX I used to get about 20-21 for the same trip.
The electronics are pretty amazing. The adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist are basically auto pilot. It accelerates, brakes, and steers for you. It's a little weird at first but pretty cool.
16" wide screen rear entertainment with 5.1 surround, split screen, and HDMI input is cool.
The third row is usable, even for small adults. This was the main reason why we switched to the MDX. The third row is even roomier than the BMW X5 and Range Rover Sport third row seats.
LED headlights are bright, especially the high beams.
Acura link app lets you lock, unlock, start the engine, find the car, check oil and gas levels, etc remotely.
The MDX handles much better when driven hard around corners.

Cons:
Fit and finish, though good, are not as luxurious as the Lexus.
Dealer experience is akin to buying a Honda and not nearly as nice as the Lexus experience.
The RX has a smoother ride.
Nav MFD is a little slow and the screen resolution is not great (on par with my 2011 RX350 but not as good as my 2014 ES350).

So, for anyone wondering how the MDX stacks up to the RX, there you go...
Old 02-24-14, 04:18 PM
coachlkg
Rookie

I drove from Indy to Orlando on 2/15. I returned today (2/24). I zeroed out the NAV settings before I left, and when I hit the Interstate, I set the cruise control for 75 mph. The Nav system indicated 22.8 mpg for the round trip. (I did not drive around Orlando.) My hand calculations were 23.0 mpg for the drive to Orlando and 22.2 mpg for the drive home.

I am disappointed with the fuel mileage, but apparently the computer in my vehicle is pretty accurate.

2013 RX 350 AWD
Old 02-24-14, 05:01 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not seen that type of accuracy but our driving right now is mostly around town. By calculation we were at 15-16 on our last two fill ups. We have a long trip planned in June so I'll find out more then. BTW, I'd be happy with 22-23 mpg, especially at 75 mph. What were you expecting and why did you think it would be much higher?
Attached Thumbnails The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread-0008.jpg  

Last edited by Tom558; 02-24-14 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added MPG graph.
Old 02-26-14, 06:56 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom558
BTW, I'd be happy with 22-23 mpg, especially at 75 mph. What were you expecting and why did you think it would be much higher?
Every vehicle I have ever owned has been worse than the EPA estimates for urban driving, but better than the EPA estimate for highway driving. My RX 350 is the FIRST to be worse in both categories.
Old 02-27-14, 09:18 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by coachlkg
Every vehicle I have ever owned has been worse than the EPA estimates for urban driving, but better than the EPA estimate for highway driving. My RX 350 is the FIRST to be worse in both categories.
So clearly it's your driving style.
A majority of owners here are getting milage within the EPA Estimates.
PLUS The rest of the world who don't post in forums like ours.

Think about it for a second, if your situation represents the NORM,
There should be tons of reviews from car magazines (. Motor trend, Consumer report) bashing LeXus.

Let's take the Ford C-max as an example.
There posted mpg was so far off from real world mpgs that they got called out for it.
Old 02-27-14, 10:31 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2012 Kia Sportage gas milage was so far off I get a rebate based on the miles I drive.
Old 02-27-14, 02:30 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Lots of factors can contribute to poor mileage. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml

I've never gotten below than the EPA estimates. My 2004 RX330 AWD averaged 23.1 MPG combined over the 10 year life of the car and the EPA rated it at 19 MPG. So far after 5 months In my 2014 RX350 AWD, I'm averaging 23.4 MPG combined and the EPA rated it at 20 MPG.

I'd call the EPA estimates somewhat conservative when compared to the actual measured results I am seeing. No complaints from me.

EPA estimates
2004 RX330 AWD city/highway/combined 16/22/19
2014 RX330 AWD city/highway/combined 18/24/20

Last edited by jfelbab; 02-28-14 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-14, 10:30 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
So clearly it's your driving style.
A majority of owners here are getting milage within the EPA Estimates.
PLUS The rest of the world who don't post in forums like ours.
Clearly it is not my driving style. My driving style has not changed over the years. I have always kept to the posted speed limit in town, and I have always set my cruise control to 75 on the Interstate.
Old 02-28-14, 10:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We typically hit the exact EPA ratings of 18/24/20 (city/hwy/combined). In our around town driving, we have been averaging about 18.5 - 19.5. I can get the advertised 24 mpg on the highway, but it takes some gentle pedal work to make it happen, not to mention cooperative traffic flow. Our highway mileage is usually anywhere from 22 to 23.5.
Old 02-28-14, 11:09 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coachlkg
Clearly it is not my driving style. My driving style has not changed over the years. I have always kept to the posted speed limit in town, and I have always set my cruise control to 75 on the Interstate.
I was simply reacting to your stAtement a few days ago where you said " every vehicle you have ever owned has been worse than the EPA Estimates etc etc" and that included the RX both for urban and highway driving.

As someone who have owned cars/ SUVs/trucks for more than 2 decades, and every single vehicle were within the EPA estimate, specifically the COMBINED number. There are only 3 reasons to explain your situation:

1. You Always get THE bad batch. Every car you bought was a lemon or some sort.
2. The EPA And the NSA are in cahoots to give you a very generous Mpg estimate.
3. Driving style

Now, i have posted a lot of pictures of my mpg way above the EPA Estimate and i was able to do so because of MY driving style.
Old 02-28-14, 04:25 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my new to me 11 RX, with 56k on it. Gas Mileage seems worse than my LS430. Going to switch it over to Mobil one and give it some techron to make it mine when i get to 60k.
Old 03-01-14, 07:10 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

I was simply reacting to your stAtement a few days ago where you said " every vehicle you have ever owned has been worse than the EPA Estimates etc etc" and that included the RX both for urban and highway driving.

As someone who have owned cars/ SUVs/trucks for more than 2 decades, and every single vehicle were within the EPA estimate, specifically the COMBINED number. There are only 3 reasons to explain your situation:

1. You Always get THE bad batch. Every car you bought was a lemon or some sort.
2. The EPA And the NSA are in cahoots to give you a very generous Mpg estimate.
3. Driving style

Now, i have posted a lot of pictures of my mpg way above the EPA Estimate and i was able to do so because of MY driving style.
You obviously did not read my entire post which said, every vehicle I ever owned BEAT the EPA estimates for highway mileage, except my RX 350.

If you read "Consumer Reports", you will find that most of the vehicles they test do worse than the EPA in the city and better than the EPA on the highway, too.
Old 03-01-14, 07:20 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

A majority of owners here are getting milage within the EPA Estimates. PLUS The rest of the world who don't post in forums like ours.
Have you actually read this 24 page thread? Every page has posts from someone NOT making the EPA estimates.
Old 03-03-14, 09:10 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes but:

Originally Posted by onefastdoc
I found the solution to improve the mileage if was getting in my 2011 RX350. I traded it in for a 2014 Acura MDX. Ok, not the answer everyone was looking for but since I did get the MDX I figured I would just share some info. I didn't completely abandon Lexus though as I also just got a 2014 ES350 as a daily driver. The MDX I got is the top of the line AWD Advance with Entertainment model and my previous RX350 was AWD as well.
MDX pros:
Better fuel economy. I get 28-29 mpg highway. On a recent ski trip including driving up the mountain to 8000ft, I averaged 25.4mpg for the whole trip. In the RX I used to get about 20-21 for the same trip.
The electronics are pretty amazing. The adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist are basically auto pilot. It accelerates, brakes, and steers for you. It's a little weird at first but pretty cool.
16" wide screen rear entertainment with 5.1 surround, split screen, and HDMI input is cool.
The third row is usable, even for small adults. This was the main reason why we switched to the MDX. The third row is even roomier than the BMW X5 and Range Rover Sport third row seats.
LED headlights are bright, especially the high beams.
Acura link app lets you lock, unlock, start the engine, find the car, check oil and gas levels, etc remotely.
The MDX handles much better when driven hard around corners.

Cons:
Fit and finish, though good, are not as luxurious as the Lexus.
Dealer experience is akin to buying a Honda and not nearly as nice as the Lexus experience.
The RX has a smoother ride.
Nav MFD is a little slow and the screen resolution is not great (on par with my 2011 RX350 but not as good as my 2014 ES350).

So, for anyone wondering how the MDX stacks up to the RX, there you go...
The MDX is a great car that actually does more than the RX. However, you failed to mention that the MDX requires PREMIUM FUEL, which in my area runs about 40 cents more per gallon, and would negate any mileage benefit. My son has an MDX and loves it, but says it is very noticeable if you use regular fuel by mistake.
Old 03-04-14, 10:11 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

total of 70 miles
Highway is 90% and city is 10%
Regular unleaded ( 87 octane) from Costco

Cruise Control set to 65, although i do 70-75 to pass other cars
meters reset to Zero
trip A reset to Zero
Tires 35psi
Temp 59 F

2 adults and 1 5 month old baby
stroller and mostly baby stuff in the trunk

DRIVING STYLE : pulse and glide ( something i have adapted from driving both a Prius and an electric SUV (RAV4 EV)
i put a lot of emphasis on driving style, because even with a gas guzzler like my Range Rover HSE, i am able to exceed the EPA estimate.
i have a 19 yr old brother who drives the Prius from time to time, and he's always 27-30mpg range, EVEN in the city. again.. driving style.

Last edited by markrivers; 03-04-14 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread