RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 04:03 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

2010 RX350.

Just got home from a trip over the mountains to Denver. 250 miles each way. All freeway with speeds ranging from 65-75 mph.

23.6 mpg on the way over, and 26.2 on the way home (downhill most of the way).

I'm pleased.
Old 11-20-13, 04:16 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2013 RX350 on regular unleaded

Los Angeles to Las Vegas.
3 adults + 2 month old baby plus strollers and weekender bags at the trunk.
as you can see, cruise control is ON.
i normally do 70-75 when on a freeway, but if i'm all alone especially at night i follow the posted speed limit.
trip meter was reset to 0 before the trip

Last edited by markrivers; 11-20-13 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 04:08 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, with the cold weather my MPG's are dropping as expected. I usually average 23 mpg or so. Winter time cuts it to 20-21 mpg.
Old 11-22-13, 01:31 PM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by ejvette
I have 1 K miles just took a road trip on the highway I got 26 mpg averaging 50-70 mph mostly around 70. Around town I'm avg 16-17 but I do a lot of short trips
I just bought 2013 with 11,000 miles on it. I will be thrilled if I get mileage similar to yours.
Old 11-22-13, 01:57 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it would be helpful if folks identify if they are reporting the actual calculated MPG or the RX reported MPG. The last time I filled up at about 1/2 tank the RX reported 19.9 and the actual calculated MPG was 16.4. The difference is not always that great but I trust calculated a lot more than RX reported.
Old 11-22-13, 02:20 PM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom558
I think it would be helpful if folks identify if they are reporting the actual calculated MPG or the RX reported MPG. The last time I filled up at about 1/2 tank the RX reported 19.9 and the actual calculated MPG was 16.4. The difference is not always that great but I trust calculated a lot more than RX reported.
Yeah, the computers are programmed to make you feel good about your MPG.
Old 11-28-13, 12:40 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

My one way commute to work is 24 miles. ( mostly LA freeway)
i Normally use the RAV4 EV because of the white sticker which let me drive in the diamond lane ( carpool lane)
at all times.
Anyway, today i decided to bring the RX 350.
trip A was reset to 0
average mpg reset to 0
average speed reset to 0

driving speed was 65-70mph, cruise control when possible ( 45%)

so here's the result: 29.6 mpg

so EVEN if you factor in the difference of the RX posted vs actual calculated, let's say 3.3 based on coachlkg mathematics.
the RX 350, on regular unleaded, still did an awesome 26.6mpg with ( city 20%/highway 80%) driving.

and to answer the skeptics, i'm not driving the RX like a Prius. BUT i don't do a jack rabbit as well.
if i want a Torque Fix.. i have an electric car for that.

Last edited by markrivers; 11-28-13 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 05:50 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
My one way commute to work is 24 miles. ( mostly LA freeway)
i Normally use the RAV4 EV because of the white sticker which let me drive in the diamond lane ( carpool lane)
at all times.
Anyway, today i decided to bring the RX 350.
trip A was reset to 0
average mpg reset to 0
average speed reset to 0

driving speed was 65-70mph, cruise control when possible ( 45%)

so here's the result: 29.6 mpg

so EVEN if you factor in the difference of the RX posted vs actual calculated, let's say 3.3 based on coachlkg mathematics.
the RX 350, on regular unleaded, still did an awesome 26.6mpg with ( city 20%/highway 80%) driving.

and to answer the skeptics, i'm not driving the RX like a Prius. BUT i don't do a jack rabbit as well.
if i want a Torque Fix.. i have an electric car for that.
I will be very happy if I get 26.6 on the highway.
Old 12-02-13, 04:08 PM
STB63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Well, with the cold weather my MPG's are dropping as expected. I usually average 23 mpg or so. Winter time cuts it to 20-21 mpg.
Im new at this, so please keep that in mind. IN reading this thread I have to share my own experience as it is perhaps a little different. Bottom line? Keep a light foot, keep the speed down and have spec. oil changed as required or more under circumstances (i.e. cold weather, heavy loads, high heat, 'hard' driving.) Results? ????? I recently returned from a trip from Seattle , WA to Portland, OR. I acheived 27.3 mpg. Set cruise at 59 mph. Very few hills. Temp 48F. 15,xxx on the odometer. Burning 50% Shell vpower 92 and 50% Chevron 92 with Techron (not additionally added by me). The worst I've had is 18.8 mpg on tank in mostly stop and go city driving with jumping on and off inter city freeways.

I have no clue as to what more I can say. A light foot, slower speed, freeways with few hills, a moderate load (two passengers with luggage) and temperate zone.......IMHO equals better milage. The number didnt lie. I hear much about 'Top Tier' gas and Chevron Vs. Shell V Power......what can I say? BTW. This is both RX computer (27.1) and calculated (27.5)MPG

Last edited by STB63; 12-02-13 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-03-13, 12:05 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STB63
Im new at this, so please keep that in mind. IN reading this thread I have to share my own experience as it is perhaps a little different. Bottom line? Keep a light foot, keep the speed down and have spec. oil changed as required or more under circumstances (i.e. cold weather, heavy loads, high heat, 'hard' driving.) Results? ????? I recently returned from a trip from Seattle , WA to Portland, OR. I acheived 27.3 mpg. Set cruise at 59 mph. Very few hills. Temp 48F. 15,xxx on the odometer. Burning 50% Shell vpower 92 and 50% Chevron 92 with Techron (not additionally added by me). The worst I've had is 18.8 mpg on tank in mostly stop and go city driving with jumping on and off inter city freeways.

I have no clue as to what more I can say. A light foot, slower speed, freeways with few hills, a moderate load (two passengers with luggage) and temperate zone.......IMHO equals better milage. The number didnt lie. I hear much about 'Top Tier' gas and Chevron Vs. Shell V Power......what can I say? BTW. This is both RX computer (27.1) and calculated (27.5)MPG
I agree with you on most points.
BUT I don't think the kind of fuel plays a major role.
I used to have a 2011 ( premium recommendation) even with a regular 87 im still getting high mpgs.
And i gas up at Costco or AM/PM which are not considered top tier.
Old 12-09-13, 09:07 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I frequently take a trip that has about 500 miles of Interstate driving. I understand there are variables, but on the average I have been getting around 23.5 MPG on my 2013 RX 350. I take those readings from the MPG since last fill up, which gives me a better read on the highway milage. However, my last trip up achieved only around 21.5 MPG for a the 500 mile trip.
I am wondering what the significant variables are in this case. I know wind, elevation change, tire pressure, temperature and gasoline quality can affect results.....but how much? 2-3 MPG seems like a lot, for the same drive. I'm particularly interested in the effect of gasoline quality and ethanol percentage on milage. BTW, I do generally get the cheapest regular gas along the interstates, and at home.....Sams, Costco, Love, Pilot and Raceway.
Old 12-09-13, 12:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
I frequently take a trip that has about 500 miles of Interstate driving. I understand there are variables, but on the average I have been getting around 23.5 MPG on my 2013 RX 350. I take those readings from the MPG since last fill up, which gives me a better read on the highway milage. However, my last trip up achieved only around 21.5 MPG for a the 500 mile trip.
I am wondering what the significant variables are in this case. I know wind, elevation change, tire pressure, temperature and gasoline quality can affect results.....but how much? 2-3 MPG seems like a lot, for the same drive. I'm particularly interested in the effect of gasoline quality and ethanol percentage on milage. BTW, I do generally get the cheapest regular gas along the interstates, and at home.....Sams, Costco, Love, Pilot and Raceway.
Maybe winter blend fuel drawing down your MPG?
Old 12-09-13, 02:06 PM
STB63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by erom43
Hmmm, It may well be severel variables at play here. First, you may try a "TopTier" brand of gas such as SHell, CHevron, Exxon, Mobil to name just a few (there is a thread on this site discussing top tier gas) and see if this variable just may be the biggest culprit to lower milaege. Secondly, are your remaining variables e.g. sppeed <65mph, hills, a light foot, cargo etc held as constant as possible to prevent unecessary gasoline usage? I know in my prior post, I accounted for these variables adequately to determine that the 27.x MPG was in fact an achieved realistic figure. I would be curious to see if the two largest variables, a lead foot/top speed less than 65 as well as using a 'Top Tier' gass would improve yo
ur millage. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-09-13, 02:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There's also discussions about a break in period of 5,000 miles in the forum. How many miles do you have, erom43? I wouldn't sweat a 2-3 MPG difference in one trip. Might've been bad gas.
Old 12-09-13, 05:15 PM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusGo4
Bought my 2011 RX 350 on December 23rd and so far I have 1500-2000 miles on it. I am only averaging 17.5 mpg and this frustrates me considering that 75% of my miles driven are highway miles.

I called my dealership and they told me the engine is just breaking in and the mpg should improve. They also said it will improve as the weather up here in Minnesota warms up.

Is this information correct? If so, how many miles do I have to get to until I see my average mpg after refueling get over 20 mpg. Not much to ask for since it is suppose to average 24 on the highway and that is where I drive the most.

Also, I burn Premium 92.
I have a 2013 and burn regular unleaded and average 19.4 mpg. I drive a lot of highway miles too and I drive more on the aggressive side re acceleration. Had a 2012 RX with same results
Jay1

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread