RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 05:04 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuang
Hi Guys,

I just bought a l/certified rx 350 2012 and drove it for 3 months.It has 64,000 miles now.

I'm in Chicago and it usually 30F this winter.I usually use it for shopping food. Any trip is below 20 miles. I totally use it on local street. The car computer told me my avg speed is 9 miles/h. I found that my mpg is unbelievable low. it's around 14 mpg. Is that normal?
Read my past quotes. I tried everything to get better mpg. Your 14 is just about the same even though I did get below that at times. I know others say they get 20plus mpg city but I never ever came close to that. I had the car checked several times and nothing anyone could do. One certified dealer mechanic even told me my mpg of around 12 was the norm.
Old 01-11-16, 06:20 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Hi Guys,

I just bought a l/certified rx 350 2012 and drove it for 3 months.It has 64,000 miles now.

I'm in Chicago and it usually 30F this winter.I usually use it for shopping food. Any trip is below 20 miles. I totally use it on local street. The car computer told me my avg speed is 9 miles/h. I found that my mpg is unbelievable low. it's around 14 mpg. Is that normal?
I think 14 MPG driving around Chicago in 30 degree weather is rather decent. Consumer Reports got 15 in their tests for urban driving, and they don't test in winter weather.
Old 01-11-16, 08:03 AM
Drjohnbee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your purchased a 50K car

I'm amazed we have purchased a 50K car and we're worried about gas mileage. I'm around 17 city to 22 highway on long trip but who cares....gas is now 1.78 a gal in Virginia so burn it up while it's cheap....If gas mileage is an issue purchase a small car. Your not going to get over 17 in local driving and 23 on the highway ....that's it. You could drive 50 on the highway but will probably get run over trying to save a buck. Enjoy the ride it's a beautiful vehicle. Happy New Year
Old 01-11-16, 01:04 PM
davrober
Rookie

I aslo satrted a thread on here due to what I consider poor mileage. I get around 17 and Im by no means in a city . Highway Its great around 25 so give credit were it is due. Part of my issue is my car is AWD and verses front wheel only it can make a 1-3 mpg difference locally and maybe 2 on the highway. Still if your going to claim 17 on you sticker for what is considered city type driving then it should get at least that. When i bought it the sales manager said he had the same car and out here where we live he was getting 18.5 local. I ma still disappointed . Unfortunately they have also made what I consider a butt ugly front end on the new models . They look like Sherman Tanks from the Normany invasion with hedgerow mine removers on the front.[

Old 01-11-16, 01:42 PM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not sure if that is normal

Hi Guys,

That sounds low, but so does your average speed of 9 mph. My local driving is closer to 30 mph, and I get around 18 +/- local driving, and 23 +/- highway. Not sure if you can believe that average speed either, but a lot of stop and go, and sitting at lights takes its toll. Remember, anytime you step on the brake....or accelerate.....gas mileage suffers. Could be you're in a rough city to drive in.
Old 01-20-16, 09:35 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Getting 22 now in mix mode driving. I am using premium but I will try 87 to see if there is any change. I agree with the person who said why are we worried about gas mileage on the car. I mean this is a big SUV. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I went from CT200h with 45mpg to this car. I will never own a hybrid again. The lethargic acceleration from start will get you killed on Texas highways. I never let my wife drive it due to safety issues. If you are in a big city like LA or San Fran you can get away with it.

Most of the regular crossovers give decent gas mileage above 30. Just drove a hyundai Tucson - fun to drive and over 32mpg. Hybrids are completely overrated.
Old 01-25-16, 07:02 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by chandlervt
Getting 22 now in mix mode driving. I am using premium but I will try 87 to see if there is any change. I agree with the person who said why are we worried about gas mileage on the car. I mean this is a big SUV. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I went from CT200h with 45mpg to this car. I will never own a hybrid again. The lethargic acceleration from start will get you killed on Texas highways. I never let my wife drive it due to safety issues. If you are in a big city like LA or San Fran you can get away with it.

Most of the regular crossovers give decentshed gas mileage above 30. Just drove a hyundai Tucson - fun to drive and over 32mpg. Hybrids are completely overrated.
I would agree. Many hybrids are just that ----lethargic. I had two Prius's a Camry hybrid,a Kia hybrid and now the RX 450h.The Prius was just,slow. The Camry nice but no up and go. Th Kia had great power and go--- but--'would hesitate at take off to the point you took your life in your hand whenever you pushed the gas. Would it go Or just studder. I got rid of that junk real quick. Now the RX hybrid has all the get up,and get you would want. Like a rocket with that electric motor tork. Good mpg-- not excellent--'but good. The RX 350 I traded in had power as well. Problem was the mpg was horrid. AWD got 12-14 winter and 16.4 summer. I do n't know how many say they get 20 plus. Dealer told me 14 was average. A friend has a new Tucson. He only gets 18 mg winter driving city. Highway 26.
So I don't understand where others get these great numbers from.
Old 01-25-16, 07:29 AM
davrober
Rookie

Originally Posted by snowman22
I would agree. Many hybrids are just that ----lethargic. I had two Prius's a Camry hybrid,a Kia hybrid and now the RX 450h.The Prius was just,slow. The Camry nice but no up and go. Th Kia had great power and go--- but--'would hesitate at take off to the point you took your life in your hand whenever you pushed the gas. Would it go Or just studder. I got rid of that junk real quick. Now the RX hybrid has all the get up,and get you would want. Like a rocket with that electric motor tork. Good mpg-- not excellent--'but good. The RX 350 I traded in had power as well. Problem was the mpg was horrid. AWD got 12-14 winter and 16.4 summer. I do n't know how many say they get 20 plus. Dealer told me 14 was average. A friend has a new Tucson. He only gets 18 mg winter driving city. Highway 26.
So I don't understand where others get these great numbers from.
I'd venture they are 2 wheel drive versions , awd seems to kill the milage a lot more than the milage sticker says it will. Im around 15.5 local (not city by any means) and 22 highway in winter if Im steady at 55 for an hour or so . , Im 16.7 and 24 summer . It really seems as soon as the temp goes below 45 it begins to get low.Wonder if the computer is not set right for the colder air but the dealer says no.
Old 01-29-16, 05:44 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by davrober
I'd venture they are 2 wheel drive versions , awd seems to kill the milage a lot more than the milage sticker says it will. Im around 15.5 local (not city by any means) and 22 highway in winter if Im steady at 55 for an hour or so . , Im 16.7 and 24 summer . It really seems as soon as the temp goes below 45 it begins to get low.Wonder if the computer is not set right for the colder air but the dealer says no.
You might be right! I have FWD. Also in Texas, temperature does not stay below 40 for long. Tucson I drove was between Dallas and Houston. It was really fun to drive but when push comes to shove, who will pay $30k for a Hyundai - I wish they had better resale value to justify the price.

Coming back to mpg, stop-n-go traffic is a real killer for RX. In the morning when my commute is on free roads, I get easily above 24. In the evening, in heavy traffic it falls back to below 20. Also, going easy on throttle helps. If its freeway you are fine because you will make up for the lost mileage but driving around in city will hurt the mpg.
Old 01-29-16, 07:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Mine is AWD.
Old 01-29-16, 08:14 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is a graph of my 2014 RX350 MPG in various city/highway conditions. You can clearly see how stop and go driving negatively affects fuel economy.

Old 03-10-16, 09:21 AM
xxjeffxx
9th Gear

I bought my 2011 rx350 last year and i average around 19.5 mpg. With my aggressive driving style i'm pretty happy with that, and also considering my last car was a cayenne s that barely got 10mpg.....
Old 03-11-16, 01:12 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that my company moved to being just off the interstate vs two miles through city traffic, I'm averaging 20.3 mpg.
Old 03-14-16, 05:54 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by davrober
Both were in fact AWD. That's a given when it comes to mpg. Your numbers are better than I ever got with my 2013 RX. That's why I got rid of it with only 12000 miles and picked up the new 450 hybrid. Big difference in mpg. With the summer gas blend and a bit warmer temps my 450's mpg is now holding an average of 26-27 mpg. That is all city side street travel. I,really could not be happier. For a large SUV--- all the bells and whistles-- and beauty to boot--- I'm a happy camper. If I would have held onto that 350 gas hog I would be pounding my head against the wall--- even with the lower gasoline prices. But as we all know--- those prices are volitile and will rebound to higher limits.
Old 03-14-16, 10:49 AM
rparian636
Driver School Candidate

Default Gas mileage regular vs cerium

I have posted this before in this thread but it has been awhile so I will repeat.
I have tried numerous experiments with regular vs. premium gas and have never seen any
noticeable difference. Doing the math, premium is usually .30-.40 cents more per gallon and the mpg increase would need to be significant to just break even. But it never helps. I think your dealer is making up an answer about breaking in the engine. That was in the old day, not before synthetic oil.

My service advisor used to work for Mobil. He told me that mpg would depend more on the cleanliness of the fuel and if the gas stations are changing their filters. He recommends staying with a major oil company and using a busy station that gets a lot of attention from the distributors.

Also, all us in the winter climates have to deal with Winter Mix gas. That will effect your MPG more than anything else. I will see a 3-4 mpg increase once the fuel mix is changed to a summer mix.

Overall, many, including me, have been disappointed in the mpg on the RX 350. A few tricks I have used to help.

Overinflated the tires - SLIGHTY - by about 2-3 lbs. This made a difference.
Use cruise control whenever possible.
Careful on acceraltions from a dead stop as this is a fuel burner.
Keep weight in car at a minimum. Remove anything heavy from trunk
Driving with windows and sunroof closed actually helps by a 1mpg.
Have the "dealer" explain to you specifically why he thinks it will improve with "break in". Ask
where he gets his info? This is old school thinking, like wearing clean underwear in case you
need an ambulance
Save your money on premium fuel. Trust me, it doesn't help.

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread