RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 05:43 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With mixed driving, about 60% city, 40% highway, I'm at 20.3mpg. When I'm exclusively highway, my avg goes up to at most 25. With city exclusively, I'm usually down in the 16-18mpg range.
Old 06-09-14, 07:14 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rparian636;8574266The Hyundai has a better ride. [/QUOTE]

Does it have "cooled leather seats"?
Old 06-09-14, 08:55 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

You're comparing gas milage of a V6 to a V4? The better ride is also in the eye of the beholder. I've ridden in Tuscons and Santa Fe's. Looked at Highlanders and Pathfinders. Of those 4 and the one I ended up with, there's absolutely no comparison in my mind that the Lexus has the quietest and the most comfortable ride of any of the 5 that I test drove.
Old 06-09-14, 10:29 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ you meant V6 and an i4
and i agree with all points, the Lexus isn't in the same league as the others.
Toyota' s best kept secret is the mighty V6, which feels a lot powerful and smooth vs the competition

Last edited by markrivers; 06-09-14 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 12:01 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Richard, I'm glad you like your new car. It seems like legal speeds were giving you mileage within reasonable range of the RX's EPA ratings or about what most get. The RX is and has been since it's inception the largest selling luxury crossover sold in this country so Toyota/Lexus is doing something right with it. Plus as others mentioned, the car you bought is in a different league and price point.

So to come into the RX Forum and encourage people to consider another brand is a bit over the top. This is a forum of Lexus enthusiasts and I'm hoping you maintain a little respect of that fact. Have you visited the 'Car Chat' forum?

Question; I couldn't tell from your post if you kept the RX for yourself and bought the Hyundai just for your wife or traded the RX. Can you elaborate on that please?
Thanks
Old 06-09-14, 01:39 PM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rparian636
I have tried using premium gas in my 2010 RX 350, where it is recommended. I have never seen
any difference in MPG. I ran the tank almost empty a few times and filled with 92 octane paying $.30 more per gallon with no increase in gas mileage. On the highway I can get up to 24.5 MPG if I keep my speed below 70 MPH. If I increase to 75MPH my mileage drops to 23 or 22 MPG. City or mixed driving and I will see my MPG go as low as 16-17 MPG. I just bought my wife a Hyundai Tuscon.
The same driving and she will get 29-30 MPG highway and 25 MPG city. And... wait for it...
The Hyundai has a better ride. Since I drive over 24,000 miles per year that type of gas mileage would represent a savings of over $1,000 per year. ??? Something I am wrestling with, as I am disappointed in the MPG with the RX. And if I used the premium, as recommended, it would be a
deciding factor. Thankfully, I have seen no difference in performance or milage paying the extra cost.
The car is nice, but $1,000 per year is real money, not just pennies. Anyone considering a RX should take a close look at the Hyundai Tuscon Limited. You could buy 2 of them for the price of 1 RX and save real money as gas. And trust me you will not be disappointed.

That's funny cos the Tucson and RX are in totally different classes. I have a 2012 Sportage AWD that is on the same platform as the Tucson. The ride of the Sportage is no where near the comfort of the RX AWD hands down. Even with the tiny i4 engine in the Sportage it doesn't get much better mpg's than the RX (18 / 21 & 18 / 20 respectively). With the mpg's being insignificantly different, I'll take the RX any day of the week over the Sportage. I've read on the Sportage forums people getting 26+ mpg mixed even with the GDI engine, unfortunately that's not the case for me. So all in all, I'm getting rid of the Sportage and looking to get into a 2012 RX AWD in the near future.

This is based only on my experiences.

Enjoy your Tucson
Old 06-09-14, 06:06 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I just completed a 348 mile trip from Milwaukee to Minneapolis using 12.7 gallons of gas (27.4 mpg) in my 2014 RX350AWD. Fuel was Shell 87 octane E10 gas and I averaged around 65 MPH. Fuel economy is improving.
Old 06-09-14, 06:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have tried using premium gas in my 2010 RX 350, where it is recommended. I have never seen
any difference in MPG. I ran the tank almost empty a few times and filled with 92 octane paying $.30 more per gallon with no increase in gas mileage. On the highway I can get up to 24.5 MPG if I keep my speed below 70 MPH. If I increase to 75MPH my mileage drops to 23 or 22 MPG. City or mixed driving and I will see my MPG go as low as 16-17 MPG. I just bought my wife a Hyundai Tuscon.
The same driving and she will get 29-30 MPG highway and 25 MPG city. And... wait for it...
The Hyundai has a better ride. Since I drive over 24,000 miles per year that type of gas mileage would represent a savings of over $1,000 per year. ??? Something I am wrestling with, as I am disappointed in the MPG with the RX. And if I used the premium, as recommended, it would be a
deciding factor. Thankfully, I have seen no difference in performance or milage paying the extra cost.
The car is nice, but $1,000 per year is real money, not just pennies. Anyone considering a RX should take a close look at the Hyundai Tuscon Limited. You could buy 2 of them for the price of 1 RX and save real money as gas. And trust me you will not be disappointed.
Hypothetically, rparian636. She may get those numbers. Maybe better... maybe not. For a fair comparison you would need to drive her Hyundai for a number of tankfuls to get a proper baseline for a comparison. Even a different driver can make a big difference in MPG in the same vehicle. Also, keep in mind that the RX is some 700 lbs heavier than a Tuscon. As the others have commented, they are not in the same class.
Old 06-16-14, 04:39 AM
rparian636
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Tuscon for my wife and still own the Lexus 350. I can not argue with the fact that the Lexus holds the premium edge and is a smooth and comfortable ride. My point is that the Tuscon is a fine ride at 1/2 the price. I am a bit disappointed in the over MPG in the Lexus 350. That is all. It seems there are enough posts on this thread that others have a similar feeling and we are all looking for help to improve the situation.
Old 06-16-14, 06:04 AM
domonas
Driver School Candidate

I bought the Tuscon for my wife and still own the Lexus 350. I can not argue with the fact that the Lexus holds the premium edge and is a smooth and comfortable ride. My point is that the Tuscon is a fine ride at 1/2 the price. I am a bit disappointed in the over MPG in the Lexus 350. That is all. It seems there are enough posts on this thread that others have a similar feeling and we are all looking for help to improve the situation.
I was getting the feeling that you're saying that the Tuscon is a "better" ride than the Rx, which I disagreed with. I have no doubt that the Tuscon is a fine ride. And for the price, it's probably a "good" deal when compared to that of the Rx. I think the gas mileage really has to do with driving style. I'm getting ~20mpg to/from work. I just filled up this morning and decided to drive a lot more gingerly, and I got 24.5mpg with no highway miles. So I think the Rx CAN get good mileage, just have to be more ginger with the acceleration. Good luck!
Old 06-16-14, 08:14 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Cool California Gas vs. Other States

My neighbor says when he travels from California to Nevada and beyond, he can feel the difference in power, and gas mileage, when he replaces California gas with Nevada gas. I've read that California refineries blend gas differently for Cali because of air pollution rules, thus reducing MPG. Also, I've read that we have summer blend and winter blend gas, and this is supposed to justify the high price of gas here. Go figure.
BTW, we are hovering around $4/gal for regular in the Sacramento area.
We get 20-21 MPG in mixed driving in our '11RX, same for the Highlander.
Any comments? Maybe this is why your mileage may vary, as they say.
Ray A.
Old 06-16-14, 04:09 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

It's called ethanol and it is the worst thing to happen to gasoline in this decade. All it does it dilute the gas and provide approximately 5-10% less mpg than the tested rating since the EPA only tests against 100% pure. The only gas in my area that is ethanol free is v power by shell.

Originally Posted by raylor4
My neighbor says when he travels from California to Nevada and beyond, he can feel the difference in power, and gas mileage, when he replaces California gas with Nevada gas. I've read that California refineries blend gas differently for Cali because of air pollution rules, thus reducing MPG. Also, I've read that we have summer blend and winter blend gas, and this is supposed to justify the high price of gas here. Go figure.
BTW, we are hovering around $4/gal for regular in the Sacramento area.
We get 20-21 MPG in mixed driving in our '11RX, same for the Highlander.
Any comments? Maybe this is why your mileage may vary, as they say.
Ray A.
Old 06-16-14, 08:33 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRX
It's called ethanol and it is the worst thing to happen to gasoline in this decade. All it does it dilute the gas and provide approximately 5-10% less mpg than the tested rating since the EPA only tests against 100% pure. The only gas in my area that is ethanol free is v power by shell.
Thanks. I'll check around to see what the ethanol content is here.
Ray A.
Old 06-16-14, 09:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRX
There are more ethanol-free stations in Ontario than you think...

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON
Old 06-17-14, 03:11 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Thanks for the link although most of the non shell stations are hours away from the Toronto area. It's unfortunate that there are no 87 nearby. Our 91 carries approx a 70 cent premium per gallon. Price gouging at its best.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
There are more ethanol-free stations in Ontario than you think...

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread