RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 11:37 AM
SeattleLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just picked up a 2010 350 with 29,000 miles last Friday the 19th. I'm in Seattle and have run through about one tank of 92 gas. I'm currently seeing 15.5mpg as the average, which is a full 50/50 mix of highway/city. During the 210 miles we put on, the A/C was never on, and the outside temp has been about 50 degrees. I just came from a 2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T, which has an underpowered engine and saw 17.9mpg over the last 3 years.

I fully expect the RX350 to at least see 18mpg given our driving patterns. Read this whole thread, would love to hear some other opinions on how I can goose up the mpg.

thanks
Old 10-24-12, 12:18 PM
waapples
Rookie

Hey SeattleLS, I'm also from Seattle, picked up used 2010 RX350 with 24k miles over the weekend. My computer shows 19.x mpg so far, still on the original tank of gas the dealer filled in.
(a) Didn't reset the mpg computer before leaving the dealer.
(b) Not sure which grade of gas the dealer put in.

Enjoy!
Old 10-29-12, 04:47 AM
2move
Driver School Candidate

Try to use this solution - like in video -

it's claim to get 3 liters/100km, which is regarding the conversion site = over 58. MPG, - just like at the video ...

Originally Posted by SeattleLS
I fully expect the RX350 to at least see 18mpg given our driving patterns. Read this whole thread, would love to hear some other opinions on how I can goose up the mpg.
Old 11-05-12, 01:43 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some Porsches have tight engines and can take 20k to 30k to fully break in.
My RX FWD has 18k miles and gets 20-22 mpg with regular driving like you do. Ethanol does reduce mpg, so you need to keep that in mind. So maybe you just need enough miles to get it loosened up a bit. Also, Tire pressure will affect mpg. With nearly 20k mi driving To Chicago this week and 35 psig , I avg'd 23 mpg on 87 octane.

On a recent trip with about 18k miles on it, i was getting almost 25 in a tightly enforced 65 zone, then it dropped to around 22 when we hit the next state and moved the cruise control to 76-77 mph.

Last edited by 2011RX350; 12-22-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 04:26 PM
ncaler
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 RX350, with 24k miles, on 87 gas, 50/50 mix. When my wife drives, she averages 19.7 mpg. I can get it up to 20.7 mpg by being very easy on the gas.

One time, we filled the tank at Reno and headed down to Roseville. I averaged 28 mpg which was pretty cool. Yes, I drove very deliberately to save fuel.
Old 12-15-12, 11:30 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013 RX350 AWD. ~1,300 miles so far. On 87 octane gas. 40% city/60% hwy. 20-21 mpg so far.
Old 12-20-12, 09:04 PM
UTAS
Driver

Some are experiencing bad numbers for the hybrid RX - I've had the 2010 RX450h since mid '09, and I consistently average 29 mpg mixed driving using 87 octane in Illinois. City is usually 30+; highway 27-28. FWIW
Old 12-23-12, 07:20 AM
ovrpar6
Driver School Candidate

Wow, Did anybody think that the difference in milage is calculated based on your driving habits, your climate location, and the type of terrain (hills, or flat like the midwest). Also, I doubt very much anyone on this forum does Hypermiling! I have a 2010 350 with 21,000 miles. I drove out to Colorado (from Chicago) and back this past August. Over the 2,500 miles I logged, I averaged (at 75-85mph) (iowa and nebraska) about 27 per gallon highway and about 23 rural or city. At 55-65 I avg. almost 29mpg (in Illinois). Now that I'm home in Northwest Illinois my wife avg about 20 city (going to work). She doesn't practice any Hypermiliage techniques. Now if I drive it to work and practice a few (not all) I can average between 21-22mpg! That said, it's all in your driving techniques and climate. Oh, and I have experimented with 87, 89, and 91 octane too. With the cost of gas who wouldn't want to save a few bucks on gas! I did not notice much of a change in gas milage maybe 20 down to 19. Do the math, you save approx. the cost of a gallon of gas from Reg to Premium. but you lose a mile in gas milage. On a 18 gallon fill up you can go approx 342 mile on 87 oct. With 91 oct. you can go 360 miles. A difference of 18 miles or approximately 1 gallon of gas. Seems like a wash. In one month of driving with 91 octane it cost me $241.20 with 1,440 miles achieved. With 87 it cost me $226.80 but I only went 1,368 miles. To make thing equal in distance (a difference in 72 miles) or 3.6 gallons the difference was the cost of one gallon!
Yes over 12 months that's 12 gallons and approx. $180 there is a slight cost savings, but with that saving I bought a few BIG GULPS and my profit vanished only to show up in my belly that ended costing me more cuz I had to go to the gym more!!!!
Anyway here are some techniques to save more at the pump! I practice the first three!

Stop speeding: The harder you press the gas pedal, the more gas you’re using. If you’re driving over the speed limit, you might save time, but you’re definitely wasting gas and money. Slow down a little if you can so that you’re driving at or just below the actual speed limit.

Coast instead of braking: When you see a stop sign up ahead or a traffic light turning yellow, immediately take your foot off the gas and let your vehicle slow down by itself. If you wait until the last possible minute to brake, then you’re wasting all the gas you used when you could have been slowing down.

Cruise Control: One automatic setting that actually helps hypermiling is cruise control, which prevents “you from “creeping” up in speed without realizing it,” according to Epistolary.org.

Put your car in neutral: Coasting with your car in neutral takes the burden off your gas pedal preventing you from wasting fuel. If you’re not driving in heavy traffic, experiment with this effective money saver.

Lighten the load: The heavier your car is, the harder it has to work to propel itself forward. Empty out your trunk and backseat of ice chests, beach chairs, and other items that you’re not using to lighten the load.

Find a route that’s easy on your vehicle: A story in the Washington Post discusses the benefits of “optimiz[ing] your route” when implementing hypermiling tricks. Instead of taking the scenic route to work, which could include more hills, twists, and dips, try finding a route that features level roads and less traffic lights or stop signs.

Generally, “a longer route with better driving conditions” can use “less gas.”

Park in the sun: The blogger Joe Future believes that parking your vehicle in the sun is a hypermiling tip for two reasons: “On a cold day, parking in the sun keeps your car warmer.” Also, a warmer car “will get to “auto-stop” mode faster than a cold car, so you’ll sit idling at fewer red lights while you’re waiting for auto-stop to kick in.”
Roll down the windows if you’re not on the highway: After the scorching hot temperatures of the summer have retreated, stop blasting the air conditioner and roll down your windows. According to Drive.com.au, “It is generally accepted that air-conditioning increases fuel consumption by about 10 percent but winding down the windows increases drag, which is also an enemy of good fuel consumption.” If you’re going to be on the highway, keeping your A/C on low is still a good idea, but if you’re taking a joy ride, think about getting a little fresh air.

Turn off the car before putting it in park: Joe Future suggests turning off your vehicle before putting it in park to save gas. If you don’t, “the gas engine will come on before you shut off the car.”

Don’t leave the car running: It may seem like a good idea to let your car idle while you dash into the store to grab the milk or drop off a rented movie, but doing so wastes gas. Take the extra few seconds to pull into a real parking spot and turn the car off first.
Old 12-23-12, 04:33 PM
Hvarsov
Driver School Candidate

I have owned 3 rx350 suv's.....the latest being a 2013.......don't look for good gas mileage.....ain't going to happen.....I also drove a Prius......no matter how badly I drove I got over 40 mpg......get real everybody.......I love my rx350 and know that I get 15 mpg in the city and maybe 20 on the highway........I have a light foot but I am a realist.........you can justifynanything but don't look for good gas mileage on a rx350.........enjoy the ride and enjoy the suv.....
Old 12-24-12, 04:56 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's worth noting that here in CT in the fall they are required to switch to the winter blend of gas. I use the same 92 octane and my mileage drops somewhere between 1-2 MPGs. In my BMW the drop is even more pronounced.
In the spring the stations will switch back and things will be back to 'normal'.
Even so the RX doesn't get any better mileage than our Highlander, which is a much bigger vehicle so I can't say I'm not a little disappointed about that.
Old 12-24-12, 06:31 AM
ejm3
Driver

In addition to being a larger vehicle, the Highlander also uses 87 octane.
Old 12-24-12, 09:29 AM
Hvarsov
Driver School Candidate

Are you guys saying the highlander is bigger than the rx350.......no it isn't........not an inch worth of difference in size........check edmunds.com for starters, put them side by side and look at the spec facts for yourself........
Moreover you can use 87 octane in the rx350 with no problem.....I have been driving rx350 vehicles for years and love them.....my son has a highlander......no difference in size and actually the rx350 is a little less weight.....please check your facts..............
Old 12-24-12, 10:54 AM
ejm3
Driver

I own both an 09 Highlander and a 10 RX. I'm not sure what the actual physical dimensions are but I can tell you absolutely that the rear seats have noticeably more room and cargo space is significantly greater in the Highlander. If the cars are in fact physically the same size then that's kind of embarrassing quite frankly.
Update: Seems exterior dimensions are similar but cargo room the Highlandet is a full 10 cubic feet greater than in the RX.

Last edited by ejm3; 12-24-12 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 11:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ejm3
I own both an 09 Highlander and a 10 RX. I'm not sure what the actual physical dimensions are but I can tell you absolutely that the rear seats have noticeably more room and cargo space is significantly greater in the Highlander. If the cars are in fact physically the same size then that's kind of embarrassing quite frankly.
Update: Seems exterior dimensions are similar but cargo room the Highlandet is a full 10 cubic feet greater than in the RX.
But with the seats in place the Highlander only has 2.3 more cubic feet.
Old 12-25-12, 12:05 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default gas mileage

Originally Posted by ovrpar6

Stop speeding: The harder you press the gas pedal, the more gas you’re using. If you’re driving over the speed limit, you might save time, but you’re definitely wasting gas and money. Slow down a little if you can so that you’re driving at or just below the actual speed limit.

Coast instead of braking: When you see a stop sign up ahead or a traffic light turning yellow, immediately take your foot off the gas and let your vehicle slow down by itself. If you wait until the last possible minute to brake, then you’re wasting all the gas you used when you could have been slowing down.

Cruise Control: One automatic setting that actually helps hypermiling is cruise control, which prevents “you from “creeping” up in speed without realizing it,” according to Epistolary.org.

Put your car in neutral: Coasting with your car in neutral takes the burden off your gas pedal preventing you from wasting fuel. If you’re not driving in heavy traffic, experiment with this effective money saver.

Lighten the load: The heavier your car is, the harder it has to work to propel itself forward. Empty out your trunk and backseat of ice chests, beach chairs, and other items that you’re not using to lighten the load.
Hi I have already commented the item with more or less same indications some months ago but I agree with you, it is really important to remind this as rule of thumb.

However, there is something I do not understand in your text: "Put your car in neutral: Coasting with your car in neutral takes the burden off your gas pedal preventing you from wasting fuel. If you’re not driving in heavy traffic, experiment with this effective money saver"

What do you mean by this?

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread