RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoying Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 08:59 AM
WindProb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally am not trying to smear Lexus's reputation, but with all honesty, the RX's main problem lies in the very poor wind reduction, and it's causing me a lot of pain. I really don't feel that interested in letting the techs at Lexus check out this problem. All I need to know is where exactly the noise coming from? I bought 3 meters of foam tapes that are used to insulate some openings in mid-size RC air planes preventing wind from intruding and I thought it might work on my RX, but where shall put them? Any ideas?
Old 09-28-11, 03:46 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update on this wind noise problem that's been a torn on my side.

I basically stumbled into where the noise is coming from. On the driver side window, I hear wind rustling/whirling noise from the bottom of window while the window is completely rolled up. If I roll down the window just a smidge, say 1mm, the noise is gone!!! Roll it back up, and the noise is back.

This is easily reproduced in the morning while it's still relatively cold outside. Once the car has been out in the sun, it's no longer easy to reproduce this problem. Must have to do with the seals expanding when it warms up.

Now I can't wait until I bring this back to the dealer. I need to wait for it to get cold around here in N. California first. That should happen in a few more weeks!
Old 10-03-11, 01:04 AM
WindProb
Driver School Candidate

I also figured out the source of the wind noise, and that's the rear pillars of the front windows, both of them. I noticed that when I lowerd down the windows, air was causing a great buff like noise when it's hitting the pillars. When I raise up the windows, the sound is still audible. All I need to do is find a way to open those pillars and install the insulation foamies. Hopefully it'll work.
Old 10-03-12, 07:35 PM
CharlieP
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 RX350 Wind Noise Resolved

I have an early build (04/09) 2010 RX350. The wind noise at 60 MPH+ was substantial enough to cause me to wonder if something was amiss. There was no air leakage, too much noise compared to how quiet the rest of the car was. I took it into the Lexus dealer to be checked out. They called me back the next day and said that the wind noise level was normal. If I had not had a 2012 RX350 loaner that was substantially quieter I probably would have taken them for their word. I protested and they offered to do a ride-a long with me about this and another mechanical rattle issue they told me didn't exist either. Before going in I did my homework and found a TSB issued for early build RX350 models that had poor acoustic glass quality. The TSB recommended that the dealer replace both front windows with updated acoustic glass. After reminding him about the TSB, sure enough the tech confessed that the wind noise was more than usual and offered to replace the glass. It's now much quieter!

p.s. the mechanical rattle turned out to be a bad steering column. I'm glad I pursued both issues further!

Last edited by CharlieP; 10-03-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 08:28 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieP
... They called me back the next day and said that the wind noise level was normal...
This drives me nuts! It's amazing how often people hear "it's normal", or "it's within specification" as the first response. Especially when it's for something like excessive wind noise. Passenger comfort and an isolated passenger environment is supposed to be a Lexus focus. Isn't that why they even HAVE acoustic glass in the first place?

I'm just glad you had the will to not accept their answer, and found the resources to determine the cause. How many others would have just been unhappy with their purchase because of a lazy service department?

Well done!
Old 03-10-13, 08:53 PM
hammer350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krypttic
Just roll the window down halfway and look. Dual panes have two pieces of glass on either side, with a darker piece of grayish plastic between them. There's an older thread on here with photos if you search.
I have a 2010 that I purchased two years ago. It's an early 2010 that does not have the double pane acoustic glass. Do you think this is covered under my CPO warranty as I have noticed high wind noise at highway speeds.
Thanks much
Old 03-10-13, 09:59 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hammer, I believe there is a TSB out for that and they replace it with acoustic glass. Just tell the dealer about your problem and they should be able to fix it for you.
Old 03-11-13, 06:13 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

My RX is the quietest vehicle I ever had. I have a 2012 AWD.I thought the 19" wheels would be noisy,glad I had the Dealer swap the Dunlops for the Michelins. I also don't have roof cross bars.