RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

$350 for 15K Service???!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 12:25 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $350 for 15K Service???!!

Now that oil changes are every 10K miles, how can Lexus justify $350 for the 15K service. As far as I can tell, they only rotate the tires, clean the A/C filter, torque some nuts, fill up the fluids, replace the remote battery, and do a vehicle inspection.

Is this right? Or is my local dealer ripping me off? (I do live in Scottsdale, AZ so probably not the cheapest dealer around).
Old 01-09-11, 04:59 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by krypttic
Now that oil changes are every 10K miles, how can Lexus justify $350 for the 15K service. As far as I can tell, they only rotate the tires, clean the A/C filter, torque some nuts, fill up the fluids, replace the remote battery, and do a vehicle inspection.

Is this right? Or is my local dealer ripping me off? (I do live in Scottsdale, AZ so probably not the cheapest dealer around).
They do all the above 'AND' scrub your checking account , Priceless !

When you go in for routine service, you should specify exactly what is in your book for that maintenance unless your conditions warrant more. If there are somethings you can do yourself (like change the remote battery you can buy at Radio Shack or online) that will save you tons. Many things you can actually do w/o special tools or training (like clean/change the A/C and engine air filter) and the parts can be purchased online. Just google the parts #'s and they'll come up.

I drive the RX450h and my largest service bills will be oil changes and rotating tires, and fuel filter, that sort of thing.
Old 01-09-11, 05:16 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprise you didn't do all that yourself. Yeah, i'd look at the book as well to check whats required and will do the most I can. Not because you take your car at the dealer means they do the best jobs. I know the dealer around my area (Cerritos Auto Square) here in california, most of the mechanics if they are - are all a bunch of somewhat kids or at least they look like one. Many are like doing internship or mechanic apprenticeship. Trust me when I say that. I know the area and have known quite a few people. I had friends inside that are true mechanics and they tell me stories and thats what are going on with most dealership there...... Google Cerritos Auto Square. Its about maybe quarter mile of dealerships from Smart Car, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Infinity, Acura etc....

Anyway, just saying. Have more confidence in yourself if you could do the job yourself. If you are just a straight **** bawler, well, more power to you and pay to get it done. I'd probably have someone wash my own butt if I was bawlin' LoL...
Old 01-09-11, 05:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Jim, I have news for you. The cost for our hybrids is only a few bucks cheaper. I checked out the 15K service on my dealer's website. It is considered the first major service. Like you said there are a few things on there that are easy DIYs. The cabin filter, wiper blade inserts and key fob battery changes come to mind. Parts cost maybe $35. I've done them all myself and will tell them to skip it when I bring mine in later this year. They can take care of everything else. My SA will make the appropriate adjustments to the cost.
Old 01-09-11, 06:49 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always clarify what the work is and what the price is prior to having them work on a car. Time to negotiate the price and/or work done is before you have work done on a vehicle. Suggested prices per Edmunds (which maybe only your local auto shop would come close to meeting ?);

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenan...5000&zip=97470
Old 01-09-11, 09:02 AM
garfull
Rookie

my 15k was about 180 and 20k 160(after 10% disc). 350 is excessive unless there was something fixed outside of the service and not under warranty.
Old 01-09-11, 09:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

$124 for the 20K so it looks like most of the 15K service cost is in the labor. The flat rates the dealer charges can be killer. I made that mistake once when I had them install a new front end mask on my 300. Never again! All in all, the cost to have them service my RX hasn't been bad considering the repairs I don't have to make and/or pay for. Plus I barely break 50K before I trade in.
Old 01-09-11, 10:37 AM
gladiator9
Driver

I agree totally, you can do a lot of work yourself, like the cabin air filter and the engine air filter. Also, many local garages will rotate your tires for free. An oil change may cost slightly more because of the requirement for full synthetic, but you would pay substantially less than $350.00. I intend to call the local Toyota dealer to ask about the oil change at their place including a tire rotation. The rest, I'll do myself. There are instructions on this site on how to install your cabin air filter.
Jim
Old 01-09-11, 12:20 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer labor charges or set prices for 15 K, 30 K services can be a killer. You might want to see what the charges are at your local Toyota dealer. I used to take my Acura MDX to the local Honda dealer for services such as brakes (using oem acura/honda brakes), where it was 50 % cheaper for labor costs.
Old 01-09-11, 08:44 PM
ajs
Driver

My neighborhood Toyota dealer will not service Lexus vehicles.
Old 01-10-11, 02:42 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Service

I have my work done at the local Toyota dealer. If yours wont. Try another.
Old 01-10-11, 04:19 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Anybody in the Phoenix area gotten a more favorable quote at another dealer?

I didn't get the work done at Scottsdale (for obvious reasons).
Old 01-10-11, 05:01 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody in the Phoenix area gotten a more favorable quote at another dealer?

I didn't get the work done at Scottsdale (for obvious reasons).
I go to Arrowhead Lexus, they are great. I asked them when I was there one time how much for the service and they quoted me a little less than $200. They own Bell Lexus as well, so I would call and get a quote.

Good Luck.
Old 01-10-11, 05:37 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me its excessive. Is there anything that was done or replace other than the items listed in the 15k maintenance schedule?
Old 01-11-11, 12:49 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

The $350 was just the quote for ONLY the 15K service.

Quick Reply: $350 for 15K Service???!!