RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 05:50 PM
akim47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions

Hello all... I'm back in these forums after being away for a while since I sold my Lexus GS. To start, I've always been a fan of Lexus/Toyota. I had a '99 4Runner LTD that I drove for 150K miles (best car I've ever had) - and I'd argue the best design for the 4Runner even to date... Sold the 4Runner for the GS (big mistake in my opinion - GS has no "soul")...

In any event... I left for a while exploring other makes and am now making my way back... now that we have a family, we are looking for a family ride - NO MINIVANS, though! After conducting much research I am down to one of two cars - the BMW X5 and the Lexus RX350. Other cars that didn't make it -

Porsche Cayenne S - GREAT but TOO expensive for what I need it for
Audi Q7 - Don't like the overall styling. It's too big and looks like a bubble
Audi Q5 - I like the looks and the styling (especially the S line aesthetics). The interior design looks great. However, the car feels cramped inside, there's just not a lot of room. The 2.0T is a weak motor and the 3.2 wasn't all that impressive either. Hard to resist because I love the front LED styling. Also, I hate the panoramic sunroof in this car because you only get a "sheer" cover.
Mercedes GL/ML - I'm staying away from Mercedes. I'm just not big into the looks/design of either of these models. I was considering the ML Bluetec model (Mercedes IMO is a leader in diesel tech)... but passed...
Acura MDX - leather interior on new cars was creased and felt really cheap. Would even prefer "pleather" over what is offered. A few bells and whistles but nothing about the car excites me...

This brought us to the finalists. First, the X5:
2011 is the first year of the E70's LCI - the 3.5I boasts a 3.0turbo engine with 8sp transmission. Biggest plus for me was the new color coded bumpers that replaced the old black cheesy plastic ones. Looks great! The 8sp is a little excessive and unnecessary for daily driving, but hey not bad to have. Shifting is okay but i didnt really gun the car that much or anything. Handling was superb for an SUV/SAV. It really drives like a sports car (not compared to my 911 but great nonetheless). Also tried out the 3.5D diesel. Great car and TONS of torque!!! That's the good... the bad - I think it looks the best with 20" 214 style wheels - and when you add everything up, the car gets EXPENSIVE... even with BMW holiday cash (and $3500 eco credit for diesel), the car is pretty pricey when you option it out. While the no maintenance package seems great, its all BS... on my Mini, it just covers ur periodic servicing/ oil changes/ cabin filter, etc... I AM worried about the long-term reliability of these cars. I checked the BMW forums regarding 7-8 year old E53's... and they have ALOT of problems. Will the E70 have a lot of problems in 7-8 yrs? who knows? I would hope to keep this car for at least 7-8 yrs, if not more.

Then the RX350:
I really like the re-design of what the BMW dealer called "an oversized camry"... My initial impressions of the RX is that it's not a "sport driving" SAV. BUT I'm just looking for a baby mover so what do I care, right? At 19/26 MPG, it does it's job and is powered by a respectable 275hp V6. The car doesnt feel like a boat, and feels like it has enough acceleration to get the job done. I took it on the freeway onramp, and felt is was just fine. A lot more "roll" on this car over the X5 - so maybe in a situation where evasive manuevering is req'd it won't be as good. Passenger room is great, and I love the reclining and adjustable rear seat option. I also like the handles that let you put down the rear seat from the trunk. Also, I'm really counting on Lexus reliability with this car. My GS had no problems and my 4Runner was BULLETPROOF, but let's face it, it seems that Lexus/Toyota at some point moved away from quality. I've read it everywhere - from industry reviews to consumers - can Lexus re-establish their reputation? The RX is priced attractively (moreso than the X5), especially if the car runs forever. My sister has a 2004 RX330 with 120K miles on it that she says she will run till it stops. Good gas mileage with a decently comfy ride... what's not to lilke? The BAD is that the slanted rear roof somewhat limits what you can get into the rear cargo area. The car isn't as sporty as the BMW, but it looks nice nonetheless. Gas mileage between the 2 are comparable, but the BMW seemed to have a bit more "go" in it. The BMW is a bit larger, but also seems a bit heavier (and it is). I did seem to enjoy the interior Lexus a bit more (bringing me back to my jap car roots).

All in all... it's a toss up for me. The BMW performs a bit better and looks a bit better, but may not be the additional cost. JUST as a benchmark, I was able to get real life quotes of about $53K for the x5 vs. $41K for the Lexus with comp options. For $12K, I don't think the X5 would be justified necessarily. Especially in the long run as maintenance costs may add up after the 4yr 50K warranty is up. I'm still making my decision... so more to come later. Thanks.
Old 01-04-11, 07:14 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

We are all different (Thank goodness!!) and have different likes and dislikes. You need to pick the one that is right for YOU not us.

You really hit the nail on the head with the cargo area in the RX. We just took a trip to Toronto and ended up taking my son's GMC Yukon hybrid because the sloped rear on the RX prevented me from being able to pack everything that we needed to take with us. That would have been a much bigger issue with me when my kids were growing up and we were taking them to their hockey matches. It would never have fit in the RX. But the kids are gone now and 95% of the time there is nothing in the back, so I am happy with the vehicle.
Old 01-04-11, 09:28 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My policy is, "NEVER OWN A GERMAN CAR OUT OF ITS WARRANTY". If you plan on keeping the car for awhile stay with the Japanese models.
Old 01-04-11, 10:02 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ now lets not stay in the 90s here. The germans have come a long way now (some more so than others). Im not quite familiar with the X5 but I feel like that particular model has been out now for 4 years or so...meaning possible redesign in a few years. I dont know what your thoughts are on that, but I dont like my car being replaced so soon with a newer model
Old 01-04-11, 10:43 PM
akim47
Driver

E70 has been out since 2007. Some problems. 2008 was better. However the cheesy plastic bumpers has always been a neg. 2011 was the LCI (refresh) with the different motor options, 8sp tranny, etc... 2014 should be the new model but I think this one looks good... BMW better, but still not Lexus (at least perceived) in terms of quality and durability
Old 01-05-11, 12:12 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the X5 and ML before purchasing another RX.

The BMW X5 drove and handled well (not significantly better than the RX IMO) but was, quite simply, the worst built vehicle I have ever seen! "Efficient Dynamics" my @rse! Just an excuse to reduce Build Quality even further. Even with Lexus/Toyota's so-called reduction in standards (haven't seen it myself) they are light years ahead of the German Cr@p (which BTW is actually built in Alabama)!

The ML was the equal of the RX from a quality perspective and drove and handled as well as the BMW. It's due for replacement soon and used values of current models will plummet so I passed.

Good choice on an RX IMO. German Chevy's servicing costs are outrageous as well in comparison with Lexus.
Old 01-05-11, 04:33 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

My wife and I had the same option that akim47 has. The difference for us came down to two things:

reliability (cost after warranty)
price

When it came down to it the RX was a better option for us as the X5 was not worth the extra $12,000. We liked both though.
Old 01-05-11, 07:11 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
My policy is, "NEVER OWN A GERMAN CAR OUT OF ITS WARRANTY". If you plan on keeping the car for awhile stay with the Japanese models.
I'm with you, feels the same way.
Old 01-05-11, 02:26 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

I had a Q7 that was reliable but very expensive to service.
Old 01-05-11, 04:42 PM
ejvette
Driver

I posted this in another thread:

I have owned both vehicles so I can tell you from 1st hand experience I can only describe the X5 as being the sportscar of SUVs the handling was superb there is nothing about the vehicle that I didn't like...that being said NEVER own a BMW out of warrantee the service costs will break the bank. The RX I would describe as the luxury car of SUVs being dependable I would have no hesitation owning this vehicle out of warrantee. I'm really into luxury quiet and smooth ride now and the RX satisfys all those aspects. BTW my wife and I both have RXs that's how much I like this vehicle lol.
Old 01-05-11, 06:11 PM
tkman00
Driver

The RX is my first Lexus. I've previously owned Infinitis. My wife and I would have liked to have considered the X5, but in our collective opinions we felt it was too expensive to own. We were also looking to get away from the sportiness we became accustomed to in the G35 and the FX35. We have two young children, and wanted more space than a sedan would offer. So the three major factors were comfort, space and reliability. The RX is currently a lease, but we are considering a purchase of the hybrid after the redesign occurs.

As for space, your requirements may not be the same as ours, but we just got back from a 5 day trip from VT where we packed the trunk w/ 2 medium sized wheelie cargos, 1 duffel bag, 3 sets of snowboard boots and 1 toddler snowboard. With all that i was still able to pull the tounneau cover.
Old 01-05-11, 07:00 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for my new ride, I just bought an 2011 RX350. Waiting 120 days for delivery. After weeks of research and test drives I selected the RX350. I was considering the BMX X6, BMW X5, Lexus RX350, Audi Q7, and Infiniti FX35. I have test driven all of these. My impressions are as follows: (all good choices, though different)

1.) Lexus RX350 AWD: Pros: Smooth comfortable ride, with impressive option packages with a decent sell price, Navi system and Bluetooth interface are user friendly. Cons: Gas mileage average, >19" wheels not an option, limited external body colors, and unsure of handling in Snow. Lexus/Toyota build a fine car, they share platforms between car and trucks thus, there are compromises in build and handling. If you want to feel like you are sitting at home on the couch, this is what you want to pursue. They are pros at manufacturing and do things in packages. Labor rates for service are in par with all the rest.

2.) BMW X6 3.5: Pros: Solid ride and feel, ample blind spot vision, surprising cargo space. Cons: Options are Ale Carte, long delivery time, unsure of handling in Snow, and higher sell price than comparably equipped Lexus. The X6 is really not in the same class as the others, it would be considered a little more sporty or a step up than X5. Xdrive is electronic, no other manufacturer does this yet, no gears to drag down fuel economy, can be biased all the way to 100% fwd or 100% rwd, no one else does this. Vehicle is much more expensive. The platform is dedicated to both the X5 and X6 thus, purpose built for those vehicles. Built in South Carolina, they are now the number one exporter in the US. They added 5,000 jobs while expanding the plant. Four year 50,000 mile warranty and free maintenance during this period, brakes, services included. BMW can deliver one from time of order to dealership in about 4 weeks.

3.) Audi Q5: Pros: Quattro AWD, Panoramic Sun roof, surprising acceleration for 2.0 Turbo engine. Cons: tight space for driver and seats seem small, long delivery time, and higher sell price than comparably equipped Lexus. Heavy front end, tends to push in panic situations not 50/50 like the BMW. Larger interior space but, this is done by hanging more weight out past both wheels if you look at it, this throws off the balance. Great interior finish. Shares platforms with many other things, VW Skoda, again, compromises made to make this all work. Resale values are starting to drop.

4.) Infiniti FX35: Pros: Superb handling in Snow, stereo with sub-woofer, comparable sell price to comparably equipped Lexus. Cons: I previously owned one and not much has changed since my 2004, requires Premium fuel 92+ octane. Again, platform sharing. Not very good resale value. Big dealer $$ discounts given so, transaction prices are lower but they depreciate from there. Great sound, need snow tires if you get bigger wheels.

5.) BMW X5 3.5: It is a new motor and trans for this year, it just came out. New 8 speed trans, better gas mileage and smoother shifting. The turbo motor is fantastic and more powerful than the outgoing V8 with better fuel economy than the previous V6.

I hope my view helps but, I truly feel when I had to choose and drop that kinda $$, the Lexus RX350 bubbled to the top.

These all are diamonds, Lexus RX350 just has better quality and clarity.
Old 01-05-11, 07:13 PM
LexFather

I have to say the RX and X5 (and Cayenne) are my favorite mid-size SUVs. I will focus on the X5 here and I was amazed at the handling for a big SUV, even better than the first gen. smaller model. The extra 2 seats in back are great. Inside felt solid and very German. I could honestly see myself driving it. Felt bigger and wider inside. Great steering. I hated the joystick shifter

The RX is best in class and nothing for me to say really. Don't drive as sporty but interior is more stylish, its a better value, not much slower and handles decent for what it is.
Old 01-06-11, 07:42 AM
tbrx350
Driver School Candidate

I was in the same situation. I had owned BMW's for 12 years - cars only, and I wanted to move into the SUV world. Logically I thought the X5 was the SUV to have. I drove it - handled great, lots of power - then I optioned it out to what I would want and the SUV came to $58k. A friend told me to drive the Lexus just to compare. While the Lexus did not handle as well as the BMW, it did have adequate power (much more then I expected) and to tell you the truth, the Luxury ride was fantastic. The final determination came down to the price - the Lexus was $15k less and the options were comparable. Needless to say, I went with the Lexus and have never looked back. It has been a year now and I am still loving my RX. Here is a picture of my RX350
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions-lexus-post.jpg  
Old 01-06-11, 01:57 PM
dericious
Driver School Candidate

I agree, german cars come nowhere close to matching Japanese for creature comfort options for the $. German cars are very reliable mechanically if you ask me. Electronics are hit or miss.

The big difference is you break a german car and you break a japanese car, then compare the repair bills. They won't even be close. My other car is a MB AMG, which have ungodly repair bills if something breaks.... (think All Money Gone)

I love german cars, but i'm always a little uneasy driving them outside of a warranty.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions