RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 12:07 PM
akim47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec26
For what it's worth, I got the RX350 for almost the exact same purpose you mentioned in your original post. We had a baby and needed a people mover.

Old car was an 2004 Infiniti FX35 , real sporty and I loved the car, but it's too small for the car seat and full size stroller.

We seriously considered the 2011 FX35, 2011 Porsche Cayenne, and Acura MDX.

I'll say this, compared to a more sporty SUV like the BMW or Infiniti, the RX is pretty dull. What it does well is what makes it dull to me. It's comfortable, smooth, isloating. It seems to make you feel like you forget you're diriving. Here's an example of what I mean. In my FX35, on my 60 mile daily commute in LA traffic, I always drove in the fast lane and would occassionally get frustrated if there was a slow driver in the fast lane. In the RX, sometimes I merge onto the freeway chatting on the BT and before I knw it, I've driven 20 miles in the number 3 lane behind some 18 wheeler. It's taken the stress out of my drive and the excitment as well.

But in the end, I'm happy with what we have because it's a people mover. It puts me in a bubble so my state of mind is relaxed which ultimately is best when i'm driving my wife and baby around. I don't need to be tempted to test a car's handling on freeway onramps in this situation.

The only thing I sometimes wish for is a bit more room and extendable sun visors. Sometimes for a fleeting moment, I find myself wondering "what if" about the MDX.

If you have questions, PM me. I can tell you all about the pro's and con's of using the RX as a family mover, how it works with car seats and strollers and the insane amount of equipment to support a baby.

Yeah, I'd like to hear car seat/ stroller comments. Is there room for passengers with the car seat in the middle? Where do you change your baby when needed? In the back seat or in the rear cargo area? We bought a smaller stroller (Bugaboo Bee) so I don't think that should be a problem. It's just when we make our way to the market or costco that our current family car is busting at the seams.
Old 01-26-11, 12:14 PM
akim47
Driver

i've also been hearing of some recent problems from current RX owners. Ranging from tranny problems to electrical...

i am absolutely convinced that lexus has dropped in overall build quality the past few years, partially evidenced by the amount of recalls and bad press. i know some 06-08 IS owners who aren't thrilled about the latest recall with the fuel pressure sensor.

all this has narrowed the gap between lexus and other manufacturers. in addition, lexus maintenance isn't all that cheap either. owning a 911, i've grown accustomed to having to service something on your car on an annual basis. replaced a heater core ($300) and an oil pressure sensor ($60) last year. Luckily my buddy is a pcar mechanic and hooks me up. regardless, i'm not opposed to spending on maintenance, so long as it is within reason (which is why I wouldn't get a RR Sport - best looking SUV IMO).

so back in the middle am I, continuing to ponder on the overall value of different SUVs... I'm not in any rush, so I may just wait around for the best deal and go with it. Maybe pick up an '11 closer to the end of the year, a '10 CPO (although the resale on these cars are amazing and the prices on CPOs are not that far off from new cars)...
Old 01-26-11, 01:49 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
i've also been hearing of some recent problems from current RX owners. Ranging from tranny problems to electrical...

i am absolutely convinced that lexus has dropped in overall build quality the past few years, partially evidenced by the amount of recalls and bad press. i know some 06-08 IS owners who aren't thrilled about the latest recall with the fuel pressure sensor.

all this has narrowed the gap between lexus and other manufacturers. in addition, lexus maintenance isn't all that cheap either. owning a 911, i've grown accustomed to having to service something on your car on an annual basis. replaced a heater core ($300) and an oil pressure sensor ($60) last year. Luckily my buddy is a pcar mechanic and hooks me up. regardless, i'm not opposed to spending on maintenance, so long as it is within reason (which is why I wouldn't get a RR Sport - best looking SUV IMO).

so back in the middle am I, continuing to ponder on the overall value of different SUVs... I'm not in any rush, so I may just wait around for the best deal and go with it. Maybe pick up an '11 closer to the end of the year, a '10 CPO (although the resale on these cars are amazing and the prices on CPOs are not that far off from new cars)...
I agree 100% that Lexus has dropped their quality standards. I have a 2006 IS350 and can't believe there is yet another recall. I will say I was happy when Lexus extended my warranty to 100,000 miles. My mom still has her 1992 SC400 and that thing screams quality. After almost 20 years she still drives it on 300-400 mile trips with ease. My 2001 IS300 and 2002 GS430(still own this one) drove/drive way better than the current IS350. This thing really feels cheap. My girl got a 2011 BMW 328I and ever since I've driven that I want one. The only thing holding me back is the repair costs. I tend to put a lot of miles on my car (20-30k a year), so I don't wanna risk it. The Lexus mechanically is amazing, but the build quality isn't what it used to be.
Old 01-26-11, 09:43 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Recently I got my first Lexus, while owning all German cars for most of my life (still have 3 of them). You cannot deny the fact most German cars are more fun and arguably better looking, but most of them are basically accidents waiting to happen. As someone said, you better not own them out of warranty. That being said, they complement each other and they are better in different ways. Daily driving with Boxster & 335 makes me smile all the time, but weekend getways with my small family - I cannot think of any better SUV than RX.

If your decision is mainly based on handling and fun, you should test drive 2011 X3 and see if you still like X5 handling. 2011 x3 was the clear winner to me, but let's be honest - when I was sitting at the rear seat, x3 feels so cheap and uncomfortable. That being said, I think RX has the BEST combination of handling(really!), comfort, and luxury at the most reasonable price. For family car, I wouldn't hesitate choosing Lexus over BMW on next purchase, as long as they prove me their reliability is as good as I hear.

If you already have BMW sedan, why not try Lexus SUV. I believe they are the best combo.

Last edited by JiniJazz; 01-26-11 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 08:51 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
I must disagree, the best combination of handling, comfort and luxury are SUV like the Q7 or ML. The RX is luxury and comfort, thats is. Most people buy the RX because it comfortable and reliable, not for its handling and looks.
You forgot one of the key points Jinijazz mentioned, price. The Q7 will run anywhere from eight to ten thousand more than the RX. If you are going to be driving your luxery SUV like a sports car then the extra cash might be worth it.
Old 01-27-11, 09:17 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

I must disagree, the best combination of handling, comfort and luxury are SUV like the Q7 or ML. The RX is luxury and comfort, thats is. Most people buy the RX because it comfortable and reliable, not for its handling and looks.
ML? I do have ML in my drive way, and we stop driving that ever since we got RX. It is more spacious, not necessarily more comfort. RX gives the "just right" comfort. If I were not lazy, ML should have been sold long ago.
Old 02-02-11, 01:54 PM
Blackberry
Driver School Candidate

I switched over to a BMW X5 last year after a couple of bad experiences with my Lexus dealer. I enjoyed my RX, but I have to say I like the X5 better. Has a much more solid feel than the RX.
The interior feels more luxurious. Feels roomier inside. Heavier doors that add to solid feel. It also feels more secure driving in bad weather conditions like snow, no doubt due to the much heavier weight of the vehicle. It also has not cost me as much servicing as the RX because of the free maintenance with BMW. I have had zero issues with the X5, and the dealership experience has been stellar.
The real advantage of the RX is that it is less expensive. I also like the screen of the navigation system. Looks are subjective so I will not comment on that. Overall, you can't go wrong with either choice, but if price is a big factor go with the RX.
Old 02-02-11, 04:48 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't agree that the X5 interior is more luxurious looking, but I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and thus we all have different opinions. The BMW interiors are one of the things that have kept me from purchasing BMWs, I just don't think they look great.
Old 02-02-11, 04:51 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I've always been a big fan of wood interiors and the RX really toned it down for the aluminum stuff. Not a big fan of that, I think the X5 has a lot more simple interior that is just more elegant then the RX.
Old 02-02-11, 05:07 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW - nice exterior, not too much on the interior they all look the same

Lexus - nice interior, for the exterior it will depend on the person
Old 02-03-11, 03:11 PM
Blackberry
Driver School Candidate

If money is no object, I would buy a Porsche Cayenne turbo or Range Rover Sport. The fact remains, the BMW X5 Sport Activity cost almost $20000 more than the RX, it should be a more solid car for that additional cost. The BMW's so call free maintenance is nothing more paying the $1000 pre-paid maintenance up front, its only 4 oil changes and a few HVAC filters. Reliability wise, the X5 is less reliable in general and warrenty service is not as good as Lexus. Interior wise, the X5 is pretty boring looking, it may have better material, but the X5's interior belongs in a funeral home If you compare the GX460's to the X5, which is closer in price, the GX460 has a much nicer interior than the X5 material and design wise. Although I think the X5 looks better from the outside.
The OP had said it came down to the X5 and RX for his decision. I gave him my honest opinion from my experience of owning both. He wants a family mover so why would he go for a Cayenne turbo? As for the interior comments, I used to think that the RX interior was nice until I got the BMW.
The RX uses way more plastic feeling materials, and very little real wood. For driving a family around the X5 feels safer which I think is important to a new family man. As for the free maintenance being just pre-paid up front costs, you don't think paying extra at the Lexus dealer for service, knowing they are using much less expensive parts you can get at the Toyota dealer nearby, feel like a money grab?Like I said before, if price is a big factor go for the RX. It is a great vehicle, but I think he would like the X5 just as much or more.
Old 02-03-11, 03:31 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems your more concerned with looks rather than reliabilty, with that being said what ever you buy there will always be things you don't like about your car. I'd honestly say go for the Lexus, the whole BM trouble U thing is a pain in the butt after 36k/6 years
Old 02-05-11, 09:13 PM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akim47
Hello all... I'm back in these forums after being away for a while since I sold my Lexus GS. To start, I've always been a fan of Lexus/Toyota. I had a '99 4Runner LTD that I drove for 150K miles (best car I've ever had) - and I'd argue the best design for the 4Runner even to date... Sold the 4Runner for the GS (big mistake in my opinion - GS has no "soul")...

In any event... I left for a while exploring other makes and am now making my way back... now that we have a family, we are looking for a family ride - NO MINIVANS, though! After conducting much research I am down to one of two cars - the BMW X5 and the Lexus RX350. Other cars that didn't make it -

Porsche Cayenne S - GREAT but TOO expensive for what I need it for
Audi Q7 - Don't like the overall styling. It's too big and looks like a bubble
Audi Q5 - I like the looks and the styling (especially the S line aesthetics). The interior design looks great. However, the car feels cramped inside, there's just not a lot of room. The 2.0T is a weak motor and the 3.2 wasn't all that impressive either. Hard to resist because I love the front LED styling. Also, I hate the panoramic sunroof in this car because you only get a "sheer" cover.
Mercedes GL/ML - I'm staying away from Mercedes. I'm just not big into the looks/design of either of these models. I was considering the ML Bluetec model (Mercedes IMO is a leader in diesel tech)... but passed...
Acura MDX - leather interior on new cars was creased and felt really cheap. Would even prefer "pleather" over what is offered. A few bells and whistles but nothing about the car excites me...

This brought us to the finalists. First, the X5:
2011 is the first year of the E70's LCI - the 3.5I boasts a 3.0turbo engine with 8sp transmission. Biggest plus for me was the new color coded bumpers that replaced the old black cheesy plastic ones. Looks great! The 8sp is a little excessive and unnecessary for daily driving, but hey not bad to have. Shifting is okay but i didnt really gun the car that much or anything. Handling was superb for an SUV/SAV. It really drives like a sports car (not compared to my 911 but great nonetheless). Also tried out the 3.5D diesel. Great car and TONS of torque!!! That's the good... the bad - I think it looks the best with 20" 214 style wheels - and when you add everything up, the car gets EXPENSIVE... even with BMW holiday cash (and $3500 eco credit for diesel), the car is pretty pricey when you option it out. While the no maintenance package seems great, its all BS... on my Mini, it just covers ur periodic servicing/ oil changes/ cabin filter, etc... I AM worried about the long-term reliability of these cars. I checked the BMW forums regarding 7-8 year old E53's... and they have ALOT of problems. Will the E70 have a lot of problems in 7-8 yrs? who knows? I would hope to keep this car for at least 7-8 yrs, if not more.

Then the RX350:
I really like the re-design of what the BMW dealer called "an oversized camry"... My initial impressions of the RX is that it's not a "sport driving" SAV. BUT I'm just looking for a baby mover so what do I care, right? At 19/26 MPG, it does it's job and is powered by a respectable 275hp V6. The car doesnt feel like a boat, and feels like it has enough acceleration to get the job done. I took it on the freeway onramp, and felt is was just fine. A lot more "roll" on this car over the X5 - so maybe in a situation where evasive manuevering is req'd it won't be as good. Passenger room is great, and I love the reclining and adjustable rear seat option. I also like the handles that let you put down the rear seat from the trunk. Also, I'm really counting on Lexus reliability with this car. My GS had no problems and my 4Runner was BULLETPROOF, but let's face it, it seems that Lexus/Toyota at some point moved away from quality. I've read it everywhere - from industry reviews to consumers - can Lexus re-establish their reputation? The RX is priced attractively (moreso than the X5), especially if the car runs forever. My sister has a 2004 RX330 with 120K miles on it that she says she will run till it stops. Good gas mileage with a decently comfy ride... what's not to lilke? The BAD is that the slanted rear roof somewhat limits what you can get into the rear cargo area. The car isn't as sporty as the BMW, but it looks nice nonetheless. Gas mileage between the 2 are comparable, but the BMW seemed to have a bit more "go" in it. The BMW is a bit larger, but also seems a bit heavier (and it is). I did seem to enjoy the interior Lexus a bit more (bringing me back to my jap car roots).

All in all... it's a toss up for me. The BMW performs a bit better and looks a bit better, but may not be the additional cost. JUST as a benchmark, I was able to get real life quotes of about $53K for the x5 vs. $41K for the Lexus with comp options. For $12K, I don't think the X5 would be justified necessarily. Especially in the long run as maintenance costs may add up after the 4yr 50K warranty is up. I'm still making my decision... so more to come later. Thanks.
If this car is for you to drive, and you enjoy driving, there is no question the X5 will be more enjoyable. I have had several Lexus and BMW cars recently, at the same time, and the cars had specific roles. The Lexus was for my wife, the BMW was for me. I love sports cars (I have a 2008 BMW M3), and love driving, so from that standpoint I really don't like the Lexus cars (LF-A and IF-S excluded obviously). My wife likes comfort, luxury, reliability, and an easy to use Nav system, so she hates the BMWs we've had.

Now, X5 vs RX. I ordered a 2011 X5. Loved the way it drove, so much better than the RX. If it was going to be my daily driver, the X5 was definitely for me. However, this car was for my wife, and after she drove the X5, we realized the RX was for her. The RX has a softer ride, warmer and more inviting interior, and much better Nav interface than iDrive. I was a little bummed and not getting X5 (which I was planning on modding to 400hp like my previous 335i) but it did save me $15K and ultimately made the wife happy which is probably the most important aspect.

So, it depends on who it's for and what qualities you want in a car/SUV. The RX is cushy, comfy, has lots of features (I like the bluetooth audio), and is easy to drive (just not fun to drive). The X5 is just fun to drive.

On a side note, I chose the M3 over the IS-F because it just felt much better in terms of ride and handling. That was in 2008. I just drove the 2011 IS-F which has significant improvements. It's night and day. So much better than the 2010 IS-F. It's so good, I would even consider getting it, except that both cars seem slow to me now. The M3 is for sale. Next up....GTR or 997 Turbo....the debate continues...
Old 02-18-11, 07:30 AM
CaMaSa2010
Driver School Candidate

We compared the BMW X5 x35i and the Lexus RX450H and decided that the best purchase would be the RX because of 1.) True Cost of Ownership 2.) Gas Mileage 3.) Available Options & Pricing.

If you get the same options in the X5 AND the RX, you'll be paying about $10K more on the X5. Plus, RX450H gets an avg 30 MPG and it is cheaper to maintain (granted BMW has 4 years free scheduled maintenance, but what about after the warranty?)
Old 02-18-11, 05:41 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's an easy answer here.

Buy the RX350 with the Sport Package.

Luxury, comfort, AND handling.

Sandi

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions