RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 05:58 PM
akim47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome comparison pics....

Regardless if they are in the same class or not, these were the cars I was comparing... As of today, I'm leaning towards the Rx350. I've been seeing them on the road and really dig the Obsidian...
Old 01-09-11, 06:00 PM
LexFather

Awesome side by side pics.
Old 01-12-11, 09:57 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The comparison photos did it for me. The RX looks like an egg compared to the sculptured lines of the X5. Of course you pay for it too. You have to decide if the difference is cost is worth it.
Old 01-15-11, 05:11 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth, I got the RX350 for almost the exact same purpose you mentioned in your original post. We had a baby and needed a people mover.

Old car was an 2004 Infiniti FX35 , real sporty and I loved the car, but it's too small for the car seat and full size stroller.

We seriously considered the 2011 FX35, 2011 Porsche Cayenne, and Acura MDX.

I'll say this, compared to a more sporty SUV like the BMW or Infiniti, the RX is pretty dull. What it does well is what makes it dull to me. It's comfortable, smooth, isloating. It seems to make you feel like you forget you're diriving. Here's an example of what I mean. In my FX35, on my 60 mile daily commute in LA traffic, I always drove in the fast lane and would occassionally get frustrated if there was a slow driver in the fast lane. In the RX, sometimes I merge onto the freeway chatting on the BT and before I knw it, I've driven 20 miles in the number 3 lane behind some 18 wheeler. It's taken the stress out of my drive and the excitment as well.

But in the end, I'm happy with what we have because it's a people mover. It puts me in a bubble so my state of mind is relaxed which ultimately is best when i'm driving my wife and baby around. I don't need to be tempted to test a car's handling on freeway onramps in this situation.

The only thing I sometimes wish for is a bit more room and extendable sun visors. Sometimes for a fleeting moment, I find myself wondering "what if" about the MDX.

If you have questions, PM me. I can tell you all about the pro's and con's of using the RX as a family mover, how it works with car seats and strollers and the insane amount of equipment to support a baby.
Old 01-15-11, 05:28 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Originally Posted by vtec26
... car seats and strollers and the insane amount of equipment to support a baby.
Old 01-15-11, 05:46 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

The sun visors on the RX are extendible, just pull on them, they are on sliding rails.
Old 01-15-11, 10:42 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
The comparison photos did it for me. The RX looks like an egg compared to the sculptured lines of the X5. Of course you pay for it too. You have to decide if the difference is cost is worth it.
To my eyes, the RX seems to be the more sculpted vehicle.
The X5 looks a little blocky when you see the pics side by side. Although, I will admit that when viewing the RX, it can seem like you're looking at two different vehicles, where certain views, it looks really nice, and then other views make it look a little strange at certain angles.
Oh, Well. To each his own!(LOL)
Old 01-15-11, 10:46 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Regarding Vtec's comments about the driving dynamics of the RX.
I know a lot of the magazine critics always say the same thing about the RX being a "dull ride." But for me, what others feel is dull is total serenity to me. I feel like the RX is almost like a soothing, blood pressure reducing drive for me. Sometimes I think that's just what I need when driving in the urban jungle out there on the highway and around town.
Old 01-16-11, 07:07 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vtec26
....I'll say this, compared to a more sporty SUV like the BMW or Infiniti, the RX is pretty dull. What it does well is what makes it dull to me. It's comfortable, smooth, isloating. It seems to make you feel like you forget you're diriving.
Excellent description and comparison. I have driven BMW's and Lexus vehicles side by side for many years. I still have both brands and couldn't agree more. I read an article in a car magazine a couple of years ago and it described the Lexus as being similar to driving a coffin because of it's comfort, it's isolation from any road feel, and the quietness of it's ride.
Old 01-16-11, 07:45 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I know a lot of the magazine critics always say the same thing about the RX being a "dull ride." But for me, what others feel is dull is total serenity to me. I feel like the RX is almost like a soothing, blood pressure reducing drive for me. Sometimes I think that's just what I need when driving in the urban jungle out there on the highway and around town.
I agree totally with your comments. The quiet isolation seems to just put you in a better mood! That is why you don't read about Lexus drivers being arrogant road hogs or rage machines!
Old 01-16-11, 08:30 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to agree with the RX making you feel serene when you drive. I was a much more aggressive driver when I had my IS 350. Now my driving is much more relaxed.
Old 01-19-11, 11:46 AM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MEP7557
The sun visors on the RX are extendible, just pull on them, they are on sliding rails.
thanks! i fee like a dork now that i didn't try to pull on it. i just looked for the plastic extenders and didn't find them.
Old 01-19-11, 03:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Lexus works hard to create a synergy in the car that "makes life easy for the owner". This includes things like how the glovebox opens and the choices of color for the interior.
Old 01-20-11, 08:03 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

I've owned an X5 out of warranty and have had a better experience then most here

It was a 2001 and I put 80k miles on it

Pros for the X5
1) The handling for a SUV is phenomenal. Accident avoidance in this car is unbelievable for its size and weight. Great brakes, agility and crashworthiness are very very good
2) Even the small engine x5 is peppy. That said, avoid the 3.5i with the turbo. Buy used to get the 3.0i from the 1st year
Cons for the X5
1) MPG was 18 on the best of days
2) You have to maintain the x5. Things will break; I average one repair per yr out of warranty period

What I thought of the rx350 (older version) when I tested it
1) It's smaller than the x5
2) It floats more on the road
3) The transmission programming makes it sort of sluggish
4) I think it holds value better

I think you have to drive them both for an extended period of time on different roads. Load them up with your stuff and test the daily stuff (turn signals, lights, cubbies, etc) and follow your instinct

I also have a GS400 (1998) and I am not sure what year your GS was but the 2nd gen (98-05) have much much better build quality than the 3rd gen FWIW
Old 01-21-11, 01:19 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
BMW's design mission is to make a car feel fast and perform well, while Lexus' design mission is mask those characteristics. With that said, let’s look at the numbers. The 2010 BMW X5 3.0i 0-60 7.8 sec, 60-0 braking 116 ft. The 2010 RX350 0-60 7.5 sec 60-0 braking 118.8. As you can see, the numbers are very close, but somehow the X5 feels much quicker than the X5 and the brakes feel stronger. Either BMW is doing a good job with performance engineering or Lexus is doing a good job with designing an isolated comfortable ride. Of course if we look at the slalom numbers, the X5 will have a big advantage, but the trade off is, the X5 rides like a truck and the Lexus rides like a limo.
Unless the ride has changed drastically from 2001 to 2007, the x5 handles like a chubby 5 series (not sure what you mean about truck-like). To me the secret to BMW is how they program and gear the transmissions--higher revs, less lugging. Also the 0-60 times are directional but 0-30, 30 to 50 to 70 (stoplight and highway onramp / passing are more useful measures)

I hear you on the design mission statement though. BMW has figured it can hose owners as long as the cars are the sportiest around while Lexus can't get away with that.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions