RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Just Washed My Car For The First Time...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 01:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Just Washed My Car For The First Time...

...and I appreciate it so much more now. Seriously, they aren't lying when they say that it takes a close inspection to fully appreciate a Lexus. There are so many more curves and crevices in the design of the car than on the second generation and especially the first.

Some of my favorite parts of the car are the hood (there are indents towards the windshield), the rims (PITA to clean, but a lot of curvature to the spokes), and the lower part of the front bumper (you rarely bend over to see it but the metal curves just under the fog lights).

Just some notes:

Who would have thought a little rain here in Cali would make the car so dirty! Took me a good hour and a half to clean everything, and I was trying really hard to beat the sun which was beginning to loom onto my property. The wheel liners are just as predicted, a magnet for debris. I also noticed that because the designers extended the bottom of the doors (the black plastic area) to cover the sills more, there is a lot more debris in that area when you open the door.

Anyways, this car looks better and better each day. And with some sun, you can really appreciate the stargazer black color.
Old 12-23-10, 01:35 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

And where are the pictures of your beautiful stargazer black RX?

I'm sure you changed the way you wash. I know I had to. At least there is no debris coming out of side door protectors anymore. The doors do get dirtier on the bottom a little more. Nothing a quick wipe can't handle. Do yourself and get some wheel woolies, all three sizes, to clean the wheels. I use Sonax and it makes for super easy cleaning. Then again, there isn't much brake dust to clean. Enjoy your clean RX in the sun!
Old 12-23-10, 02:12 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Anita, this thread needs photo evidence that your RX is clean. How can we just take your word on it, huh?
Old 12-23-10, 10:50 PM
RXSF

Here she is...hopefully you can see the metallic paint. I also have a picture of my plastic floor mats that I just picked up

Old 12-23-10, 11:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

soooo clean!!
Old 12-24-10, 04:47 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gorgeous colour! I have to say, Lexus paint is beautiful!
Old 12-24-10, 04:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

RXSF, great color! I can see the undertones you were describing. Hope it stays nice and clean for a while
Old 12-24-10, 05:26 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
...and I appreciate it so much more now. Seriously, they aren't lying when they say that it takes a close inspection to fully appreciate a Lexus. There are so many more curves and crevices in the design of the car than on the second generation and especially the first.

Some of my favorite parts of the car are the hood (there are indents towards the windshield), the rims (PITA to clean, but a lot of curvature to the spokes), and the lower part of the front bumper (you rarely bend over to see it but the metal curves just under the fog lights).

Just some notes:

Who would have thought a little rain here in Cali would make the car so dirty! Took me a good hour and a half to clean everything, and I was trying really hard to beat the sun which was beginning to loom onto my property. The wheel liners are just as predicted, a magnet for debris. I also noticed that because the designers extended the bottom of the doors (the black plastic area) to cover the sills more, there is a lot more debris in that area when you open the door.

Anyways, this car looks better and better each day. And with some sun, you can really appreciate the stargazer black color.
It looks great in the photos.
A lot of folks think it's a chore to clean their car and just let it go for months until someone shames them or they just can't see out the windows anymore .

But like you, I enjoy the hands on and extra attention to cleaning and inspecting it. Something you can't appreciate every day is the way the protected area underneath stays factory fresh. Next time you have it in the shop, ask to look under it when it's on the lift. You'll be amazed at how factory new the transmission/engine area still looks. The way it's protected it seems none of the normal road film/rain spray gets into that area .

I already see you've found all the special areas to clean. Last week I was at Parson's getting some Christmas stuff and parked nose to nose in the parking lot with a 2010 RX350. The lady driver and I were getting into our cars at the same time and she kept giving it the once over while loading her stuff. She finally asked if I had customized mine in some way because there was just something different, especially in the front. I had to point out the grill was wider, the slit under it, the chrome rings around the fogs, the different wheels, the electric blue 'L' logo front & rear. Then told her it wasn't the 350 but the standard trim on the 450h. Even though it's Christmas, I think she left a little down because her hubby didn't get her the 'best dressed' model .

Enjoy

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-24-10 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-24-10, 05:39 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Easy extra protection to vunerable area

Something that hasn't been talked about for a while (fortunately) is the lower grill area in the front bumper. It's pretty large and after some folks complained on this forum about large stones or debris damaging their A/C condenser (expensive) Anita, myself, and a few others found an easy fix. Ace hardware or any hardware store has flexible vinyl gutter guard material in black and black vinyl ties. For about $10 or less and a few minutes of your time you can cut the stuff with scissors and tie it with the black ties inside the plastic frame in that area. You can't see the material unless you get down to look at it but after 10 months or so it's still providing great protection. My 450h technician wouldn't do it for me so I did. Now that he's seen it he's advising others how to do it but the dealer won't let him do it for some liability reason I guess. Anyway, just a thought for you.
Old 12-24-10, 05:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Here she is...hopefully you can see the metallic paint. I also have a picture of my plastic floor mats that I just picked up

Great color and the metal flake really pops in the sun.
Old 12-24-10, 06:13 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. The 19" wheels really give it a nice look. Are those LED lights?
Old 12-24-10, 11:15 AM
RXSF

Thanks for the comments!

Something that hasn't been talked about for a while (fortunately) is the lower grill area in the front bumper. It's pretty large and after some folks complained on this forum about large stones or debris damaging their A/C condenser (expensive) Anita, myself, and a few others found an easy fix.
Yes I remember those threads about the lower grill being too open to the radiator. I will look into it, although I didnt experience any problems with my other two RXs which had the same design flaw.

Very nice. The 19" wheels really give it a nice look. Are those LED lights?
Yep, those are the LED lights
Old 12-24-10, 11:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

RXSF, I didn't experience a problem either with the radiators on my RXs but they sure took a beating. It literally cost me $5 with plenty of screen left over to do a dozen more. Use the plastic kind in a roll and several plastic ties. Like Jim said, it doesn't take away from the looks of the car.

How do you like the LEDs?
Old 12-24-10, 01:37 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black looks great after being washed.
Old 12-24-10, 03:06 PM
RXSF

love the LEDs, Im sure people are right when they say that the LEDs are not as bright as the bixenons, but Im fine with the lighting output.

it looks the same to me

however, I noticed that on one side, the bulbs are more purple, and on the other side, they are more white...not sure what is causing that.

Quick Reply: Just Washed My Car For The First Time...