RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 01:04 PM
djenk3141
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX 350 Rear End Noise

I have noticed a thumping noise from the rear end when I go over a series of bumps....speed bumps don't cause the same noise...usually happens at a road intersection when the pavement is uneven...sounds like it's cause by vibration..comes and goes.any suggestions?...tailpipe is secure not coming from inside the cabin
Old 12-08-10, 01:48 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would search for complaints and TSB's here to see if they have problems identified :
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm

Drive shaft flange bolts are to be re-torgued every so often, but have no idea of other components that might cause a noise/vibration.
Old 12-09-10, 01:28 PM
djenk3141
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 rx350

Thanks for the info...taking it in sat for a look..I'm not real sensitive to squeaks and minor rattles..this seems to be something more..other than that its a great ride
Old 12-09-10, 09:25 PM
garfull
Rookie

take a look at the spare tire or anything else that can be loose in the back.
Old 12-11-10, 07:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ever having the squeezing noise from the rear suspensions everytime I went over the bumpy roads. The dealership replaced them to get rid of the noise. A few of owners here did get the same problems.
Old 12-13-10, 07:27 AM
debo
Driver School Candidate

2010 RX 350 Rear end noise!

Please keep the forum updated as to your noise problem. I have a 2010 RX 350 with 4000 miles. A month ago it started to make a noise going over bumps and uneven surfaces. It sounds like the tailgate on a truck is loose or a rattle sound. I'm going to take it in tomorrow for a service. I have noticed a few other forums that other people are having the same issue but no one has determined a solution.
Old 12-13-10, 08:21 AM
djenk3141
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 RX350 rear end noise

OK...took my car in and the service tech rearranged the spare and the tools....seems that it did some good..no strange noise....however, the fuel tank was nearly empty so I fill up with gas...and there it was again. I'm now thinking it has something to do with a full tank of fuel. I was suspicious of that before but now I'm sure that is where it's coming from. Could be the low fuel sensor? I too have 4500 miles.
Old 03-10-12, 07:03 AM
RonSINY
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 Rear Squeaks

I own a 2010 RX350. Experienced sqeaks coming from the rear of the vehice when I went over speed bumps or hit a dip in the road. More of a sqeak/creaking noise as opposed to a rattle. Tough to diagnose. Had it checked out numerous times by the Dealer; lubrication, changed struts , rear seats, tailgate, etc. didn't help. Finally I think we got it. Dealer replaced both rear trailing arms with updated ones. Part Nos. 48760-48060 & 48780-48090 - Traling Arm Assembly, 431011A - Lower Arm Assembly. I hope this helps. ron
Old 07-24-12, 02:56 AM
Yunsok
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Sounds like tailgate loose or a rattle sound

Originally Posted by debo
2010 RX 350 Rear end noise!

Please keep the forum updated as to your noise problem. I have a 2010 RX 350 with 4000 miles. A month ago it started to make a noise going over bumps and uneven surfaces. It sounds like the tailgate on a truck is loose or a rattle sound. I'm going to take it in tomorrow for a service. I have noticed a few other forums that other people are having the same issue but no one has determined a solution.
I have 2007 RX350 and had the same problem. After taking it to several maintenance shops including the local Lexus dealer, I had no solution. The fix came after reading this Club Lexus posting. The fix is to lock your cargo curtain mount after removing the curtain. I just help my next door neighbor with the same noise. Hope you have found your solution by now, but if you haven't I feel confidant that this suggestion will get rid of the noise within 10 seconds.

Last edited by Yunsok; 07-24-12 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-24-12, 05:29 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2005 RX300 had this problem. It used to make a thud every time it went over some bumps or uneven surfaces. It was something to do with the suspension. It was on the right side on the rear suspension but after i had it checked out and sorted, it never came again until it happened on the left side after a year. Had that side checked and fixed and never came again. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-12, 06:14 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most likely is the rear trailing arms or the shocks that are leaking.
Old 07-25-12, 03:25 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatro40
Most likely is the rear trailing arms or the shocks that are leaking.
Had the same problem. Dealer replaced a leaking shock under warrantee.
Old 02-28-13, 05:41 PM
BossTime
Driver School Candidate

I've had a scraping like noise in the rear for almost a year. Lexus attempted many corrections. Thought it was corrected last October but the noise recently resurfaced. I've been working with a Lemon Law attorney as Lexus response was there is no solution. I told them I didn't spend all this money for a car with a scraping noise so they better find the solution.
Old 02-28-13, 07:33 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Concetta
Welcome to C/L and the RX forums. Sorry to hear that for your 1st post. As you look around I know you'll see that isn't normal.

Just saying scraping noise isn't very descriptive, can you be more precise? Is it when you brake? Or all the time? Have you been back since it resurfaced? Hopefully they'll get things worked out for you.
Originally Posted by BossTime
I've had a scraping like noise in the rear for almost a year. Lexus attempted many corrections. Thought it was corrected last October but the noise recently resurfaced. I've been working with a Lemon Law attorney as Lexus response was there is no solution. I told them I didn't spend all this money for a car with a scraping noise so they better find the solution.
Old 03-01-13, 03:39 AM
BossTime
Driver School Candidate

Hi, the best way I can describe it is when I go over a speed bump or a dip in the road, it sounds like the rear of the car scapes on the road. Lexus has tried many of fixes including changing many parts. I'm not sure what the next fix will be.

The service tech who drove with me to hear the noise indicated I wasn't the first complaint about this. Also the loaner car they gave me while the service was being performed had the same noise. I told Lexus to fix that car before they continue to change parts on my car.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Rear End Noise