RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX350 question: How to know if the 4 wheel is engaged?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 08:59 AM
vipros
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX350 question: How to know if the 4 wheel is engaged?

I got the new RX350 (AWD) this spring; now we just had the first snow in this season. I know this 3rd gen RX350 is a basically front-drive with AWD engaged ONLY IF necessary decided by the car computer system. How do I know if AWD is engaged? Is there any indication light to tell ?

Thanks,
Old 12-06-10, 01:16 PM
euroja153
Driver

i think it starts in AWD but quickly goes to FWD if the conditions are normal. you dont know when it makes the switch. if you want "perm" AWD then press the LOCK button near the centre arm rest and it will stay in AWD mode until 40km/h, you will see a light.
Old 12-06-10, 03:33 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can lock the differential if you're stuck otherwise snow mode will do just fine.
Old 12-06-10, 07:56 PM
vipros
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. If I understand from your replies, there is no way to know the current driving mode AWD or FWD. What about the green ECO light, does it imply the AWD if it goes off ?
Old 12-06-10, 08:02 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess the eco light has an indirect way of telling you whether you are using it. AWD = more gas = eco light off. However, the eco light does not take awd into account directly.

AWD comes on from a standstill to a few miles per hour, and only when you are slipping.
Old 12-06-10, 08:40 PM
yahj
Driver

there's a video on how the awd works

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/detai...fications.html

click the camera icon under drive wheels

I like watching those clips.
Old 12-06-10, 08:55 PM
flystone
Rookie

I test drove both the FWD and AWD and experienced much less body roll when getting on the same ramp (40mph, 360 degree complete circle type ramp) with AWD..
There is also much less under steering (almost none) w/ the AWD overall..
Old 12-08-10, 05:53 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might try looking at the energy display on the nav screen. I can see power going to the rear wheels, for example, with rapid acceleration from a stop.
Old 12-08-10, 09:46 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by ziggy1
You might try looking at the energy display on the nav screen. I can see power going to the rear wheels, for example, with rapid acceleration from a stop.
he is in a 350, not the hybrid
Old 12-11-10, 07:51 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
I guess the eco light has an indirect way of telling you whether you are using it. AWD = more gas = eco light off. However, the eco light does not take awd into account directly.

AWD comes on from a standstill to a few miles per hour, and only when you are slipping.
Not sure if it works this way. Most of time my ECO light is on. Does this mean my car never goes AWD?

Originally Posted by yahj
there's a video on how the awd works

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/detai...fications.html

click the camera icon under drive wheels

I like watching those clips.
The Lexus website says: Using a network of sensors that monitor such factors as G-force, steering angle, vehicle speed, braking and road conditions, the available Active Torque Control AWD system can deliver up to 50% of the available torque to the rear wheels only when it is necessary. During normal on-road driving, for instance, the RX sends 100 percent of the power to the front wheels for optimal fuel efficiency. Should the system sense the slightest amount of wheel slippage, it is designed to automatically allocate the necessary amount power to all four wheels to help maintain traction.

The system is so advanced, in fact, that it can predict your intended path around a turn and proactively provide the necessary amount of torque to help prevent front and rear wheel slip—whatever the road condition.

A LOCK switch can be used to manually select a 50:50 torque split for enhanced low-speed traction in conditions like mud or snow. Once the RX reaches 25 mph, the LOCK switch automatically disengages.
Download plug-inBroadband connection is recommended

My memory becomes fuzzy, I don't recall if these sentences above have existed for RX10. Anyway, let's assume they do.

After driving this RX350 for almost 20 months, I still don't trust this "smart" AWD system. It seems that this system will only work once the sensors detect the "slippage". And, once the "conditions" are gone, it will "immediately" turn back to FWD. I have been having a few occassions that my car lost the tracks in the regular turns on slight wet/snowy roads, but other AWD vehicles were smoothly passing those areas.
Old 12-15-10, 05:14 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this might be a silly question, but I just got a 2010 RX350 as a loaner and i can figure out whether its AWD or FWD.

i tried looking in the glove compartment but there is no manual and I cant seem to find my answer by searching in this forum. On the dash, an "eco" sign does come up every once in a while, does this mean the model is an AWD model?
Old 12-15-10, 06:04 PM
flystone
Rookie

on center console next to the cup holders, if you have 2 buttons, it is awd, if only 1 button, then it is fwd

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com...2010-img_4.jpg

buttons are located on the very right of the pictures
Old 12-15-10, 07:20 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

I have the 450h awd and I only have one button, not two like in the pic...

Originally Posted by flystone
on center console next to the cup holders, if you have 2 buttons, it is awd, if only 1 button, then it is fwd

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com...2010-img_4.jpg

buttons are located on the very right of the pictures
Old 12-15-10, 08:50 PM
RXSF

yea the awd in the RXh does not have the awd lock button
Old 12-15-10, 11:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oh wow that made things very clear! thank you for the post.

i was about to go find an empty parking lot and floor it to see which tire would break loose haha

Quick Reply: New RX350 question: How to know if the 4 wheel is engaged?