RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Illuminated door sills installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 04:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sign up with Sewell, the discount is automatically built into the price. Welcome to CL!
Old 12-05-10, 04:58 AM
dinhle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank Kitlz, I just installed all LED light on my car, I ask the dealer, they said $350 each, but don't know what is color (blue or white) I am going to install LED monitor at back seat, it look much more VIVID then DVD, and the next one is body kit.
Old 12-08-10, 12:10 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Joeb427 (or any other DIYer),

Just to confirm the installation process, is it as simple as pulling the OEM sills off and snapping (after plugging in the electrical conduit) the new illuminated sills in ? I did not get printed instructions w/my Sewell order, but I vaguely recollect the removal/install process for my IS illuminated sills. Please advise. TIA
Old 12-08-10, 01:05 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD

Just to confirm the installation process, is it as simple as pulling the OEM sills off and snapping (after plugging in the electrical conduit) the new illuminated sills in ? I did not get printed instructions w/my Sewell order, but I vaguely recollect the removal/install process for my IS illuminated sills. Please advise. TIA
Yes sir, snap off, plug in & snap on the new ones. If it takes longer than 3 minutes a side....you're doing something wrong.

lar
Old 12-08-10, 04:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

1Neat_SC is correct.
I'd like to add when you pull the stock sills off, you have to remove the 4 black plastic grommets that are in the 4 holes under the Lexus script.
The new sills have those grommets on the unit.
Old 12-08-10, 01:42 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
1Neat_SC is correct.
I'd like to add when you pull the stock sills off, you have to remove the 4 black plastic grommets that are in the 4 holes under the Lexus script.
The new sills have those grommets on the unit.
Joeb is correct on that one.....I forgot about that. Give yourself 4 minutes a side... Good call Joeb.

lar
Old 12-08-10, 02:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
Joeb is correct on that one.....I forgot about that. Give yourself 4 minutes a side... Good call Joeb.

lar

lar,I couldn't understand why the sill wasn't popping into place.I was pushing down hard too.
Old 12-08-10, 10:48 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Now you guys tell me - tried installing last night, as Joeb said - couldn't figure out why they wouldn't snap into place, but eventually figured it out.

You guys forgot the step to remove the cap on the electrical connector in the frame. Again couldn't figure out why the connectors didn't snap together, but figured it out. Now need to figure out what to do w/the pristine OEM sills and connector caps . . .
Old 12-09-10, 04:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

^ Now you guys tell me - tried installing last night, as Joeb said - couldn't figure out why they wouldn't snap into place, but eventually figured it out.

You guys forgot the step to remove the cap on the electrical connector in the frame. Again couldn't figure out why the connectors didn't snap together, but figured it out. Now need to figure out what to do w/the pristine OEM sills and connector caps . . .
I got by the caps thing easily.
I'm storing my pristine OEM sills and when I sell or trade in the RX,I'll install the OEM sills and sell the illuminated ones on EBay.Probably would be worth $150+ if in very good condition.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-09-10 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 08:02 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

for future reference...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5645060-post20.html
Old 12-09-10, 08:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

We need to sticky this. Thanks for the link, jtrue28! Sorry about your GS
Old 12-09-10, 03:27 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
lar,I couldn't understand why the sill wasn't popping into place.I was pushing down hard too.
I'm not going to sit here and admit I did the same thing.. But if you don't know to take those little black thingys off the old sills, the new ones won't pop into place.... Oh yeah, don't forget to take the cap off of the plug... lol Sometimes a person just takes things for granted. lol

Put the old sills back in the box (the ones that don't have lights) and put them in the attic before the misses sees them. (That's important) You don't want her to think you're stupid for giving $4 for little lites do you?

I've learned something on this thread... to be specific and detail every step. I guess that's why some want pictures on each step. (me included)

Cheers all,

lar
Old 12-09-10, 03:54 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Well, coming from a 2IS, the installation was a lil' different than the RX. When you pulled the OEM sills off, there were no grommets left in the sill frame - and the electrical plugs did not have caps. That install was literally plug & play and less than 90 secs each side. The 3GS was a PITA, you had to splice into the electrical relay to power the sills, but at least Lexus supplied all 4 sills (yes the rear sills lit up too). The difficulty factor for the 3RX seems to fall somewhere in between . . .
Old 12-09-10, 04:09 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

socalJD, well said and no disrespect intended.. I think sometimes they change things just to make you work harder at it. How do they look to you? I'm assuming you put on the white lit up sills..?

lar
Old 12-09-10, 04:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
I'm not going to sit here and admit I did the same thing.. But if you don't know to take those little black thingys off the old sills, the new ones won't pop into place.... Oh yeah, don't forget to take the cap off of the plug... lol Sometimes a person just takes things for granted. lol

Put the old sills back in the box (the ones that don't have lights) and put them in the attic before the misses sees them. (That's important) You don't want her to think you're stupid for giving $4 for little lites do you?

I've learned something on this thread... to be specific and detail every step. I guess that's why some want pictures on each step. (me included)

Cheers all,

lar
Lar,I couldn't seem to get the black grommets off the new sills so I took the grommets out of the holes.

4$...you got a great deal!

Quick Reply: Illuminated door sills installed