RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

power trunk door

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 02:55 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy to hear that your dealership got your door programmed correctly. My dealership has still been unable to figure it out.

Do you know which setting in the PCD section that was changed to get your power open to work?

This way, I can tell my dealership just what settings need to be updated.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-11, 05:31 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you bring your car in you expect that they know what they're doing! Fortunately, my dealer's service has been excellent. If its a problem they've never seen the service advisor and mechanics research the answer. Through the years I've had great trust in mine. I'd look for a more competent service department if I were you.
Old 07-11-11, 06:12 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexuschar, I am sorry to say that I do not have an answer for you. I should have paid more attention. I was just happy to even get them to do it at that point. If you search this thread you will find the names of several dealers who have done the job. Maybe your dealer can give them a shout.
Old 07-11-11, 07:36 PM
alanadler
Driver School Candidate

Lexuschar, don't know if you are in SoCal area, but I had Lexus of Cerritos do the change on my RX350. At first no one had any idea what to do but I finally got the service manager to check on it and they figured it out. This forum was a real help since I was able to print out that picture from the computer to show him the area to check. I'm amazed that Lexus HQ has not sent out a service bulletin on this. And as someone mentioned, none of the salesmen have any idea this can be done. I showed my salesman after it was changed and he was blown away. I doubt if he's going to tell the other salesman so that he can offer something they can't. Anyway contact the service manager at Lexus of Cerritos.
Old 07-11-11, 07:45 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Arrowhead Lexus in Peoria AZ did it without question or hesitation. Yes sir, we will do that for you. No drama. They are what a Lexus dealer should be. Their customer service is what sold me.
Old 07-11-11, 07:54 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lexus of Bridgewater did my '10. The tech wouldn't tell me how but it took him no time to program it. BTW, I've had the same service advisor for like 13 years, she looks out for me and makes sure things get done. No BS
Old 07-12-11, 03:45 AM
dlgreg
Driver School Candidate

McGrath Lexus of Chicago was finally able to program this - on my third visit. The first two times I was told that it could not be done. On the third visit I brought a copy of a post from this thread that said where in the settings for them to find it. With that info they were able to finally set the back "soft button" to power open the hatch.
To the person that posted that information - THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 07-12-11, 08:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by The X Men
Can someone please post the direction for the auto open hatch programming so I can show my dealer at my 5000 miles check up.
X, I think this is the whole purpose of this thread. Nobody knows how to do it but it can be done. I thought about slipping a little money to the tech but his English was not too good. I don't think he would have told me anyway.

Also, for those of you who had this change, is it worth while to do beside the cool factor? It sounds like the auto open will actually take longer to open then if I do it manually and opening the hatch manually is pretty easy, closing is the hard part.
Convenience, like when I clean the cargo area. I completely unlock the RX with the key fob and put it away. If I need to open the tailgate, I press the long button once. The tailgate will open. The key fob does not need to be in range. And how about when it's raining and you want to get in the cargo area quickly? It can be a real PITA when you can't find the key fob right away.
Old 07-12-11, 09:34 AM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

I posted the pictures of the TechStream display earlier in this post. Since Lexus of Westminster has been unable to get the door to power open, the pictures show the wrong settings.

Maybe someone who had this done correctly on their 450 can have their tech or service manager look at the pictures and point out what options have to be changed to what settings.

Since some dealerships have been able to do this and others have not, you would think they would talk to each other and share information. The last time I tried this a Lexus of Westminster, the tech gave up without even trying, saying it could not be done. The service writer tried for about 20 minutes, but could not figure it out, although he did give it a good try considering it is really the tech's job. Even though I gave them names of other dealerships that did this correctly, they did not call them.

In the big picture, this is a minor annoyance. Especially compared with our stiff steering problem. Still, it is a feature on the vehicle and it would be nice to have it work.
Old 07-12-11, 12:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

But Kiltz, as long as the key fob is in range, the tailgate will unlock as soon as you hold the tailgate handle.
And then press the key fob button to open the tailgate or lift it up manually? I'm just saying as long as the doors are unlocked, I don't need to have the key fob within range. That's especially helpful when I'm washing the RX. Lessens the risk of getting the key fob wet.
Old 07-12-11, 02:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

regardless of functionality, if Lexus states it is possible in the manual and if some users are able to get it programmed, then I still feel it is wrong for the service departments to put up such a fight
Old 07-12-11, 03:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Do you think its faster to open the tailgate manually or use the button to activate the auto open function?
Opening manually is quicker but awkward and defeats the purpose of having a power tailgate.

Are you going to ask the dealer to program yours?
Old 07-12-11, 03:14 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alanadler
I had Lexus of Cerritos do the change on my RX350. Contact the service manager at Lexus of Cerritos.
Do you have a name of someone there who knows how to do this? I could schedule a visit and drive down there.

Having the door open with power is slower than manually opening it, yet sure would help when your hands are full and you can barley reach out and push the button a couple of times. That is where it is useful. I don't mind waiting a few moments for the door to power up if it means I don't have to put all the groceries down only to pick them up again after I open the door.
Old 07-13-11, 03:49 AM
dlgreg
Driver School Candidate

Can someone please post the direction for the auto open hatch programming so I can show my dealer at my 5000 miles check up.
Post # 46 of this thread is the one I printed and gave to my dealer. With that info the dealer's tech was able to program it to auto open.
Old 07-13-11, 06:56 AM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dlgreg
Post # 46 of this thread is the one I printed and gave to my dealer. With that info the dealer's tech was able to program it to auto open.
I think you may mean to say Post 47.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6198561-post47.html

I laugh since I posted that picture. It is of the Techstream display at Lexus of Westminster where they could not figure our how to get this to work. It might be time for me to find another dealership to handle this.

Quick Reply: power trunk door