RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

power trunk door

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 02:16 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership here is trying to configure the Power Back Door (PBD) on our 2010 Rx450h to unlock on the first press of the rear door button (above the license plate) and then power up on the second press of the button.

I see that others in this forum thread have this working ok. It seems to be a hard thing for some dealers to properly configure. I would guess that they do not have much documentation on how to program this feature.

Attached is a screen shot of the current PBD Techstream configuration. Does anyone know what these settings should be set to? This way I can tell the dealer how to set them.

They are trying to set this, yet now after they tried, the door no longer unlocks from the button above the license plate unless all the doors are already unlocked using the door handle or smartkey first. The unlock feature from the rear button was lost somehow while they were trying to get the door to power up. The small round Lock button back there still works ok to lock all the doors.

They also some how set the read door beep buzzer to sound the entire time the door is power closing. The door used to only beep twice at the start of the closing motion.

It would be great to set it as other owners have it working: 1 press, the rear door unlocks, 2 presses, the rear door powers up.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails power trunk door-pdb-option-screen.jpg  
Old 03-07-11, 04:49 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

I just had this done on my 2010 with a build date of May '10. It seems that this feature was removed from RX's built after May for some reason. I asked the service advisor to at least try to get it done on mine. Good thing I did as they were able to get it to work.

Now, there were several other RX's in for service. Some with a later build date. When they heard me asking for it they inquired about getting it done. A couple worked but for most built after May of '10 the feature was not present.
Old 03-07-11, 05:45 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was built after May and the dealer was able to program it.
Old 03-07-11, 06:14 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

I just read this whole thread and Wow-- if you step back and look at the big picture, this thread is kinda funny. While other vehicle owners are dealing with leaking sunroofs, defective parts, etc., we're agonizing over how to program the rear door to open the way we want it to-- or how to convince/teach the dealer to do it.

Having said that, I still want mine done...

Here's to hoping this is the most serious issue I will ever have to deal with....
Old 03-07-11, 06:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy
I just read this whole thread and Wow-- if you step back and look at the big picture, this thread is kinda funny. While other vehicle owners are dealing with leaking sunroofs, defective parts, etc., we're agonizing over how to program the rear door to open the way we want it to-- or how to convince/teach the dealer to do it.

Having said that, I still want mine done...

Here's to hoping this is the most serious issue I will ever have to deal with....
I think what's even funnier is most of the guys here says it's their wives' car

The power tailgate programming was done on mine before it was even an option. Not complicated to do but a pain for those who live far from the dealer or has one that isn't familiar with it. Mossy, did Lexus skip the 30 day check? That's usually when they do all the programming. It takes that long to figure it out anyway Who knew it would be so difficult, LOL. And don't worry, you won't be visiting the dealers for real problems, just maintenance, first two free
Old 03-08-11, 02:52 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I think what's even funnier is most of the guys here says it's their wives' car
Anita....I'm warning you....do NOT start the soccer mom discussion...stop...now.
Old 03-08-11, 03:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Anita....I'm warning you....do NOT start the soccer mom discussion...stop...now.
Or 'is the RX a chick car' That was classic. I see plenty of guys driving RXs. I have to wonder though, is it their wives' car too BTW, I don't know any moms that play soccer, geez

And now back to regular programming...
Old 03-08-11, 03:02 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a guy and quite proud to say I'm an owner and primary driver of an RX. : )
Old 03-08-11, 03:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks Benny. I hope the weather is getting warmer for you.

I'm happy report the snow is gone here Sometimes I would forget about the trapped snow/ice in the top part of the tailgate, go to open it and hear a horrible crunching noise. Once I went back and forth pressing the long button on the outside and the button on the bottom of the tailgate - opening the tailgate a little and then closing it before it fully opened - to get a few things out of the cargo area Having the programming done came in handy that day
Old 03-16-11, 07:14 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
The long button on the tail gate only unlocks the door, no power. You have to manually lift it. One of the techs at my dealer programmed it to open under power with a second push. He said it was simple. I couldn't get him to tell me what he did though.
My car already programed for a second push.
Old 03-17-11, 03:05 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anita the snow is gone here too. It is actually sunny here as well, the sun is something we didn't get much of this winter. I hope this warming trend continues but I suspect that I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, it is only mid March after all.
Old 03-17-11, 03:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
Anita the snow is gone here too. It is actually sunny here as well, the sun is something we didn't get much of this winter. I hope this warming trend continues but I suspect that I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, it is only mid March after all.
Awesome Benny. Same here, in the 60s today and 70 tomorrow Looks like we need to start a new thread. You can take the lead And let's hope the month of March is not completely a lion. We've had really bad flooding by me
Old 03-21-11, 08:10 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got back from my 5k service visit. They were able to do the rear cargo door, Yeah! One push is unlock two push is power lift. If the doors are unlocked then it is a power lift with one push, Yeah! They gave me no grief and no questions on how to do it.

I also had the seat belt chime turned off, Yeah! I got a little hesitation on that but they did do it. They also did an alignment at no charge as it is covered under warranty for the first year. Most of the specs were in line just a few tweaks.

Bad news is my car was NOT returned in the cleanest condition. There were a lot of black scuff marks all over the interior. My service rep said he would take care of it and I told him not to bother, I would deal with it. I do have the Parchment interior so the marks do show easily. I was able to clean it all up and will return to the dealership tomorrow to talk to them about it. Kind of scary if you have the black interior, how much you are not seeing. My Howard Hughes Syndrome kicking in.

All in all a good visit.

Thank You to all the forum members.

Last edited by MEP7557; 03-22-11 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-23-11, 08:04 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took the RX for its first oil change today, and I had them program the liftgate to unlock the doors and open by power on the first press.
It's great to have a forum like Club Lexus to learn about all the cool things that can be done on our vehicles. Thanks, guys, for pointing out the personalization features for the rear liftgate!
Old 07-11-11, 02:34 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that I would bring up this old chestnut just to provide everyone with my update. First, I FINALLY had this reprogrammed successfully. However it took six visits to two different dealerships (both owned by the same company) to have it done. First, my salesman tells me that it can't be done and that if it could he would have every RX he sells reprogrammed prior to delivery. Second visit to the selling dealer, I show my salesman all my research from this forum. He consults with their "top most experienced tech" and was told again there was no way to do this. A few weeks later off to the second dealer. First trip, their computer "locks up" and they can't log on to my car. Their second computer is down for repair. Now they are both down for repair and will not be fixed for a week. Second visit, computers have been repaired but are "down" again. New computers on order and will be in "next week." Third visit, new computers have not arrived and are expected "next week." Fourth visit, different service adviser looks at me like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead when I tell him what I want. He checks with his tech who tells him that the car is so complicated that he does not know if it can be done. The service tech says to the service adviser, "I suppose he has been searching the internet." That is apparently a bad thing. I am told that if this can be done, I should be able to program ALL options via the nav or information display. I show the service tech and service adviser the owner's manual they they have to do it and give them a print off of the instructions that were posted here and off they go. A few minutes later I walk back to the reception area and the service tech and service adviser have the car hooked up to the computer. SURE ENOUGH, they find the area that needs to be changed from no to yes and all is well. The entire process took not more than ten minutes. Even after it was completed the service tech said to me, "You know the owner's manual is not always correct. There are a lot of errors in there." I expected more from Lexus service. I think that once I showed them the owner's manual and my research the response should have been something like, "I see that sir. Let's give that a try." However, I guess it is easier to try to just brush a customer off rather then even attempt to do the work. As I said earlier, I really expected more from Lexus service. Not really interested in going that extra step, but certainly willing to charge almost $300 for a 15K service.

Last edited by cafpaf; 07-11-11 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: power trunk door