RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Courtesy lights on doors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 09:46 AM
stw2046
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy lights on doors.

I'd very much appreciated if any of you guys can give me some insights on how to get the courtesy light housing off the door. Have to change a bulb. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-10, 10:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with LEDs and used a small screwdriver and from underneath toward the front of the RX and pried it out.It comes off easier toward the front first.
Old 11-09-10, 12:43 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are just wedge fitted in the openings. Using a plastic putty knife is safer than a screw driver as it will mark the plastic door housing.
Old 05-05-11, 07:54 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

I have been trying to open the door courtesy plastic but to no avail. The seam around the clear plastic is next to none. Can anyone shed a light as to where to pry the plastic out? Tried a plastic card but it is still too thick.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-11, 09:12 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to open the whole assembly lense cover and harnesse from both sides with small tiny flat screwdriver (used for eye glass). After you remove the whole thing you will see the harnesse connected with wire. Now you could disconnect the power cable or not if the wire little longer you need to pry the lense cover with flat tiny screwdriver from 4 tiny holders top and lower side. Good luck.
Old 05-06-11, 03:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Run the plastic card around the light using the edge to get it in there. It's the forward part of the light, the short side, that pops out. Key is to use a card that's very flexible and thin, hence one you don't care about ruining. All four corners of mine are shot. Good luck.
Old 05-06-11, 06:49 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

On all sides, I just squeezed the door panel to allow a gap between the plastic and the lens cover. I then inserted a flat head screwdriver and popped the lens cover off.
It's actually pretty easy. Good luck with getting to the bulbs =)
Old 05-07-11, 09:44 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks gazi001, Anita and KI_GSE21. It becomes much clear now in terms of how to open the door plastic. I am still waiting for the lights to come but just was just trying to pry plastic. This door courtesy plastic is another example of how good fit and finish our Lexus is!

I pried a 06' Accord Sedan the other day and the courtesy light plastic was much easier to pry with.
Old 05-09-11, 02:08 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Can someone help to take some pix of how to remove them? They are so tight. Thanks
Old 05-09-11, 04:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

sweet, I took out my trusty shopping card to take some pictures for you. Though well worn it still works. I had it a little backwards for the front door. Not sure if the back is the same. Insert a flexible thin plastic card on the short side closest to you if you're outside the vehicle. Try using the corner of the card to get in there. Push the card down into the light to release a thick plastic tab. The cover should start coming loose and can be removed. Change bulb, replace cover, and enjoy the light
Attached Thumbnails Courtesy lights on doors.-dsc00531.jpg   Courtesy lights on doors.-dsc00534.jpg  
Old 05-09-11, 04:54 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitlz
sweet, I took out my trusty shopping card to take some pictures for you. Though well worn it still works. I had it a little backwards for the front door. Not sure if the back is the same. Insert a flexible thin plastic card on the short side closest to you if you're outside the vehicle. Try using the corner of the card to get in there. Push the card down into the light to release a thick plastic tab. The cover should start coming loose and can be removed. Change bulb, replace cover, and enjoy the light
Thanks for your help Klitz. Awesome. The same procedure with the rear doors?
Old 05-09-11, 05:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Thanks for your help Klitz. Awesome. The same procedure with the rear doors?
Should be. It's one short side or the other. At least with a plastic card you don't have to worry about scratches or breaking the cover.

Edit: Tried the rear, same way to remove the cover, outermost short side.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-09-11 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 02:50 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Should be. It's one short side or the other. At least with a plastic card you don't have to worry about scratches or breaking the cover.

Edit: Tried the rear, same way to remove the cover, outermost short side.
Haha Thanks. I did the puddle lights, door lights, front doom light, cargo light...,

what about the parking lights and foot lights? Any hint how to change them....
Everything should be all set after these two.
Old 05-11-11, 07:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sweet, use the same method (plastic card) to take the foot light covers off or you can drop the cover underneath the glove compartment to expose the bulb from above on the passenger side. I couldn't figure out how to do it on the driver side. Have needle nose pliers handy to pull the bulb and some Tylenol for the pain after contorting your body a while to get to them

Parking light is a matter of reaching behind the headlight and twisting the back off. I went with nice LED bulbs. It looks so much better.

I don't think you're done yet There's the vanity lights, puddle lamps, reverse lights, DRLs, fog lights and amber blinker bulbs. Go with the chrome covered amber blinker bulbs. Did you change the rear dome light? I used a thin metal tool similar to a spackle to remove that cover. It's a major PITA for a lousy single bulb
Old 05-11-11, 10:46 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

What LED units are you guys using as replacements?

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights on doors.