RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Courtesy lights on doors.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 12:41 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sweet, use the same method (plastic card) to take the foot light covers off or you can drop the cover underneath the glove compartment to expose the bulb from above on the passenger side. I couldn't figure out how to do it on the driver side. Have needle nose pliers handy to pull the bulb and some Tylenol for the pain after contorting your body a while to get to them

Parking light is a matter of reaching behind the headlight and twisting the back off. I went with nice LED bulbs. It looks so much better.

I don't think you're done yet There's the vanity lights, puddle lamps, reverse lights, DRLs, fog lights and amber blinker bulbs. Go with the chrome covered amber blinker bulbs. Did you change the rear dome light? I used a thin metal tool similar to a spackle to remove that cover. It's a major PITA for a lousy single bulb
I'll try the parking light and foot light this weekend. . Did vanity light, puddle lamps, DRLs. I''ll skip rear doom light cause people said "pain in the a..". For the fogs, not sure i'll do them cause I have to install HID conversion kit?

Last edited by sweetboy02; 05-13-11 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 03:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I'll try the parking light and foot light this weekend, puddle lamps. Did vanity light, DRLs. I''ll skip rear doom light cause people said "pain in the a..". For the fogs, not sure i'll do them cause I have to install HID conversion kit?
If you find the right improvised tool you can get to the rear dome cover off. I couldn't figure out how to remove the whole thing but I think the bulb is enclosed anyway. I had an installer put in ballasts for the fogs. They're 6K, nice and bright. I might swap them out with the 5K bulbs I bought last year or maybe switch over to LED instead. I can see the cut off with the HIDs. Oh well, it's all about getting rid of the yellowness.
Old 05-12-11, 01:33 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to remove the rear dome light cover with a thin flat head screwdriver.
As soon as I was able to get my fingers into the housing, you then have to carefully pop the tabs and the entire cover comes off. I am running LED panels for the interior and they are super bright.

I still gotta do the front footwell lights and the puddle lamps on the exterior mirrors.
I have to be super patient with the exterior mirrors (crack open the mirror cover, etc).
Old 05-13-11, 05:21 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

The puddle lights are actually easier to replace than i thought. I just followed the DIY in this forum.
Old 05-13-11, 08:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
How hard was it to pop the side mirror out? Was there a chance of breaking it?
The mirror itself is not hard to remove at all. Getting the inner part can be difficult after removing the screws behind the mirror. And the noise sounds horrible, like it's breaking. But no harm, no foul. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
Old 05-13-11, 04:02 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Just did the blue foot lights. Beautiful. Easy as the door lights. Both sides came off with a shopping card. Thanks kitlz agian
Old 05-13-11, 07:36 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Just did the blue foot lights. Beautiful. Easy as the door lights. Both sides came off with a shopping card. Thanks kitlz agian
Congats and welcome to blue footwell light club. As I said, you have to see them in person to realize how cool they look
Old 05-13-11, 07:41 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Besides, the rear dome light is one of the easiest one to replace, so don't be shy. If you did the front, you already know how to do the rear.
Old 05-13-11, 09:40 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
Besides, the rear dome light is one of the easiest one to replace, so don't be shy. If you did the front, you already know how to do the rear.
Ok I just ordered green color. I'll swap it when it comes. Hahahah
Old 05-13-11, 10:05 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Ok I just ordered green color. I'll swap it when it comes. Hahahah
Oops
Old 05-14-11, 09:41 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a point where you just have to say NO!

Good taste should always prevail.
Old 05-14-11, 11:59 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

See what you started JiniJazz, now his car is going to look like a Christmas tree
OK, let's allow only one color variation. I will drop blue footwell light from my recommendation, but I will keep yellow fog. All white except yellow fog. Fair enough?

Originally Posted by MEP7557
There is a point where you just have to say NO!
Good taste should always prevail.
MEP, I though you already have blue puddle light. You reached the limit.

Last edited by JiniJazz; 05-14-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 01:00 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My puddle lights are white to match all the other led's around the car. The only blue I have is the parking lights.
Old 05-14-11, 03:15 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
OK, let's allow only one color variation. I will drop blue footwell light from my recommendation, but I will keep yellow fog. All white except yellow fog. Fair enough?
So my favorite color is green. i have to switch everything to green. Jk :-p. I'll become "The HULK" at night hahah
Old 05-14-11, 05:13 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

MEP7557, cops around here hates blue light in the front of car, they will pull a car over for that. Reason being that other drivers can mistake the blue light is an emergency vehicle.
I got pull over and a ticket $30 for blue lights. Cops said he can give me a ticket up to $300 if i still have this blue lights. And I'm in MA

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights on doors.