RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door lock sensors -- how many?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 06:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Door lock sensors -- how many?

I have never looked closely into this, but on the RX350 (or RX450h, if that makes any difference), when the doors are locked and you have your fob with you, how many (and which) door handles will allow you to unlock the door(s)?

I have been driving this RX350 loaner the past week, and what I notice is the front 2 doors, when I put my hand over the handle, doors will unlock. But it seems like doing this on the rear two doors have no effect at all. Same with locking the doors, seems like only the front door handles have that dimple where you put your finger over and lock.

Is that the case for all RX? I am a bit surprised. On my GS350 and LS460L, all 4 doors have the sensors to unlock doors and also the button to lock the doors. That's more convenient.

Because the way I setup my car is, if I only open the driver front door, then only that door is unlocked (I do this when I am by myself for security reason). But if I try to open the driver rear door, all 4 doors will be unlocked (when I am with other people).

But now with the RX, if I set to unlock only driver front door (it's in the setting I can see), then if I have other people, I will either have to use the fob, or quickly open the door and then press on unlock.

Thoughts?
Old 10-30-10, 07:39 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only the front doors are touch sensitive. It would be nice if all 4 were that way.

I have all 4 unlock with one push, I'm lazy.
Old 10-30-10, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks, that's a bummer. really can't figure out why they put sensors for front door handles only
Old 10-30-10, 11:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is splitting hairs, but if you unlock the rear hatch, the other doors will unlock as well, making it three doors touchwise; the mechanism is just not as elegant as the front doors. I prefer the locking sensor on the RX over the one on the LS. I wasn't a big fan of the LS pushbutton, and obviously someone at Lexus may have thought likewise, or it evolved like other features on the new RX. I expect the RX sensor will make its way over to other new gen platforms in the future.
Old 10-30-10, 11:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yes it sucks that it is only available on the front doors. Since I do not own a car with smart access, I have tried other loaner vehicles like the ES which have sensors on all four handles. I also touch the rear doors to unlock all the doors and the drivers one to unlock my own. I dont know what Im going to do when my RX gets here...probably program it so that all the doors unlock when the drivers door is unlocked.

As for the button versus touch sensor for locking, I prefer the button. From my understanding, the locking mechanism goes berserk when washing your car since it keeps "sensing" something touching the lock sensor. Also I have noticed that you need your finger pressed on it for a good second or two before it actually locks. In other words, you need to pause there. With the button, you can just push it and walk away. It still takes a pause before locking, but you can at least begin to walk away.

IMO, 4 sensors with 4 buttons works best. However, I guess the touch sensor for locking is much cleaner to look at, plus you dont have to bother with the plastic cover over the key hole when your fob runs out of juice.
Old 10-30-10, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i like the rx implementation more for sure, cleaner no button (especially if your car is not black). the dimple works great and the sensor as well

but my problem is having sensors only on the front 2 doors, that's so weird
Old 10-30-10, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
yes it sucks that it is only available on the front doors. Since I do not own a car with smart access, I have tried other loaner vehicles like the ES which have sensors on all four handles. I also touch the rear doors to unlock all the doors and the drivers one to unlock my own. I dont know what Im going to do when my RX gets here...probably program it so that all the doors unlock when the drivers door is unlocked.

As for the button versus touch sensor for locking, I prefer the button. From my understanding, the locking mechanism goes berserk when washing your car since it keeps "sensing" something touching the lock sensor. Also I have noticed that you need your finger pressed on it for a good second or two before it actually locks. In other words, you need to pause there. With the button, you can just push it and walk away. It still takes a pause before locking, but you can at least begin to walk away.

IMO, 4 sensors with 4 buttons works best. However, I guess the touch sensor for locking is much cleaner to look at, plus you dont have to bother with the plastic cover over the key hole when your fob runs out of juice.
yup, i had the rx loaner for a week and i already had to change the setting to unlock 4 doors together, otherwise my wife just stare at me from the other side...

maybe you should try the touch sensor on the rx, at least on my loaner they work very well. i actually never had to keep my finger (pause) on the dimple location at all to lock doors. i always get out of my car, close all doors, simply put my finger over the dimple, touch it momentarily, and then take off my finger and start walking away. and then i will hear a beep and all doors lock. by comparison i definitely need to use more force to really press on the button on my ls460l and gs350. nothing dramatic, but the rx i had worked very well on that i think
Old 10-31-10, 01:49 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the button versus touch sensor for locking, I prefer the button. From my understanding, the locking mechanism goes berserk when washing your car since it keeps "sensing" something touching the lock sensor
I find that a good solution to this is not to keep the key fob on you when you're close to the car while washing it.
Old 10-31-10, 09:37 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I find that a good solution to this is not to keep the key fob on you when you're close to the car while washing it.
I imagine it drives my neighbors nuts listening to the incessant beeping when I wash the car in the driveway, but then again there is the sound of the high pressure washer, the leaf blower and the buffer too!

Having the lock sensors in the rear doors would be nice, rather than grabbing the handle forgetting and then reaching to the front and then getting in the back door.

I'm sure Lexus could add the all-doors-sensors as a $2,000 option!!!
Old 10-31-10, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

why would you keep the fob with you when washing car? i always place it on top of cabinet in my garage.
Old 10-31-10, 09:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Having the lock sensors in the rear doors would be nice, rather than grabbing the handle forgetting and then reaching to the front and then getting in the back door.

I'm sure Lexus could add the all-doors-sensors as a $2,000 option!!!
i can't say i like lexus for that kind of cost cutting considering that even on the es it's on all 4 doors (though the old format with buttons)
Old 10-31-10, 11:03 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Yep, just found that out this weekend when I gave my RX350 it's first wash. I heard the door unlocking and locking so I unlocked all the doors and took the key fob out of my pocket. I was wondering WTF until I realized I had the key still in my pocket
Old 10-31-10, 11:32 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The intermittent unlocking/locking while washing the car also happens to button locking cars as well, however the best way to eliminate this annoyance is to take the fob out of your pocket while washing the car, and place it out-of-range of the sensor. The "proximity" sensor is in fact doing what it is was designed to do; it just doesn't know you're washing the car. As for the locking, I just run my finger over the dimple, and it works fine - no delay. Keep in mind the proximity sensor depends on a "normal" level of moisture on the finger to work effectively. The moisture acts to close the circuit to lock the car. If the driver has excessively dry hands, then it won't work as well. In that case, licking one's thumb would help.
Old 10-31-10, 12:24 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you can program the doors to unlock its not so inconvenient. As for locking I think its actually a good idea. Suppose one of the kids locked it and you weren't ready to have the doors locked or unlocked it? I wonder if it has something to do with safety??? Just a thought.
Old 10-31-10, 12:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe the IS only has two unlocking sensors and locking buttons as well on the front doors only.

Quick Reply: Door lock sensors -- how many?