RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sun Visor Extension

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 02:57 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Visor Extension

Am I missing something or does the RX not have sun visor extensions? I'm talking about the extendable part many other vehicles have when the visor is swung to the side window.

I'm tall so my seat is farther back and on my daily commute i drive due south. with the sun rising it blinds me from the side window and the visor isn't long enough to block the entire window back to the pillar.

Does anyone else have this issue and does anyone have a solution?

Before someone suggests tinting, it won't work for 2 reasons. it's illegal where i live and i doubt any tint would be dark enough to block the sun sufficiently for my liking.

TIA.
Old 10-29-10, 03:13 PM
tkman00
Driver

i've never paid attention to that. but a suggestion would be polarized sunglasses to help w/ the driving.
Old 10-29-10, 03:20 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tkman00
i've never paid attention to that. but a suggestion would be polarized sunglasses to help w/ the driving.
thanks, but the sun light is coming from the side, so unless i wear wrap around glasses, this won't help. I already wear sun glasses...it's almost as if someone is shining a light right in between the sunglass lens and your eye from the side of your head. my morning commutes are not pleasant.
Old 10-29-10, 03:29 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sun Visor

I have a cloth Walmart C/D holder on my visor. On the couple times I needed it. I just pulled the C/D holder off a little. And it gave me a couple more inches of side coverage.

If its not long enough. You can put a piece of plastic bewtween the visor and C/D holder. And slide it out when you need it. The C/D case will hold the plastic in place.
Old 10-29-10, 04:08 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Isn't it pathetic what Lexus has become. The cheapest cars come with extended visors. I was so pissed when I realized they were not there. I had my side windows tinted. The Nav. system is sub par too. The Hyundai Sonata system puts Lexus to shame. The blue tooth system also is sub par. Its so bad I can not use it. It has never picked up correctly what i am asking it to do. The dealer can't even get it to do something right. I can continue to add a few more items however its not worth getting myself upset over. When you spent over 50+K one expects better. I realize Lexus is no better than any Toyota product, just more green.
Old 10-29-10, 04:59 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

cd sleeve suggestion could work. thanks.

i hear you on the visor versus other more economical cars. i was quite surprised too. however, i like the nav and BT. The nav is a notch above the Infiniti i'm coming from and the BT is on par.

my other gripe has been covered on this forum many times is that the center roof console doesn't have lights. i'm not familiar with the buttons by feel yet, so i'm pushing lots of buttons to open my garage at night, but i'm sure i'll eventually just know where to push.
Old 10-29-10, 06:58 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys chill. All you do is pull out on the visor and it extends, it's on a sliding rail.
Old 10-29-10, 08:20 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup as soon as I read this I went to the garage and try it and it works you just need to pull it a little harder

anything else that we need to know about our RX? just got mine 2 weeks ago
Old 10-29-10, 09:52 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Hey guys chill. All you do is pull out on the visor and it extends, it's on a sliding rail.

Duh, it's also in the manual and it's a much more elegant solution that having a plastic piece extend out.

RTFM before starting a b*tch fest on how Lexus shorted you and and is no better than a Toyota.
The following users liked this post:
lxs350lvr (05-01-22)
Old 10-30-10, 09:46 AM
Lex2133
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol... I would have loved to see the face of the guy who was trashing Lexus..
Old 10-30-10, 09:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLexus

Duh, it's also in the manual and it's a much more elegant solution that having a plastic piece extend out.

RTFM before starting a b*tch fest on how Lexus shorted you and and is no better than a Toyota.
Yup, there is a wealth of information in there.
Old 10-05-13, 04:50 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Default Ye Olde Forehead Smaque

Gotta love it ... just got my 2008 GS460 used ... love the car, but didn't come with a manual (on back-order from the dealer) ... I was annoyed that the visor didn't have the same slide-out visor panel featured on our 4Runner ... DUH! That loud "whack" your just heard from Calgary was me smacking my forehead ... !!! LOL Cheers to all / LexLeezard
---
Attached Thumbnails Sun Visor Extension-picture-12.png  
Old 10-05-13, 06:15 PM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Funny - I figured it out this week myself while driving.

I'm sure it is in the 1000+ page manual

Last edited by CSSLDR; 10-05-13 at 06:16 PM. Reason: addition of words
Old 10-06-13, 05:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

In many ways it is often easier to search out specifics using the Lexus.com owners resources. That owners manual package is thicker than the New York phone book.
Old 10-06-13, 02:15 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Default Ye Olde Forehead Smaque

Yeah, I can hardly wait until the manual is procured and then provided by the dealer. They'll call me up to tell me it's now available, so, I should drive over to pick it up. What will I do? How I am supposed to acquire the print version of this massive manual, and then sweat and strain to get it home -- into the garage, for example? Well, the GS460 can't be configured for a trailer -- no towing with this rig, no sir-eee. So I'll have to use our 4Runner. It has a super hitch and trailer wiring plug, so I suppose I can rent a 1-ton trailer and find a fork lift somewhere to help load the manual. My wife is concerned that I am planning, yet again, to put something else into the garage. I am attempting to provide her with some reassurance. Good to know the trail forward has been broken for the rest of us ... do you remember Dylan's "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again"? ... images of the NYTimes, Sunday edition ... "With twenty pounds of headlines ... stapled to his chest." I can hardly wait until the manual arrives! Hey, is there a separate manual for the Mark Levinson system including satellite navigation and everything else that goes with it? Should I reserve the fork lift for a second day?

Quick Reply: Sun Visor Extension