RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Automatic Dimming High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 09:49 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The feature was discontinued on the 2013s -- when I subscribed and read through TIS in the June timeframe to see exactly what changed from the 2012s (see this post for my summary), it indicated that the supporting subsystems were also eliminated. If it could be done it would be mighty expensive -- a whole new rear view mirror with the camera, possibly a new windshield if your 2013 does not have the spot in the upper center dark area open between the sun visors for the camera to see though, and even if the wiring harnesses are there, the bigger problem is then getting it to connect into the rest of the truck's software. There is a complicating issue that Homelink moved onto the mirror with the 2013's (lots of people liked that as the buttons are backlight again), so it would somehow have to be moved back up to the ceiling console. You could certainly ask your dealer, but my take is they will say it's not possible because unless they read TIS differently than I did or something has changed in that regard, no dealer is going to want to muck with something that isn't officially supported by TIS, as they wouldn't be able to warrant it if problems arrose. Now, would some non-Lexus shop do the work? Maybe. Personally, I wouldn't let them try it on my new 2013 and take a chance of impacting the warranty on the rest of my wonderful ride.

Last edited by BertL; 09-03-12 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added link and Homelink change
Old 12-19-13, 07:10 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If you have option pkg Bi-Xenon HID headlamps with AFS and Automatic High Beams for $1175 and this lens on your mirror, then they just need to turn it on in the service department with their computer.

And set your controls as shown in 2nd image and placing stalk forward toward the dash.

I don't have a camera like you showed in my mirror, but I do have a thingamajig to the right of the mirror (inside the car looking out) at the top of the windshield. Would that be a camera for the auto-dimming headlight feature? I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, if I have it. I'll have to see if the stalk controls are set exactly has you showed in your excellent pictures. I thought I had it right, but the first time I started up the car at night I didn't see whatever icon you're supposed to see when the feature is turned on. I don't know what the build date of my car is. How do I figure that out?
Old 12-19-13, 01:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Aptosuser, the camera is not part of the rear view mirror, it's in front of it. The easiest way to check if you have auto high beam is to push the headlight stalk forward. A light comes on the dash between the headlight and fog light lights that looks like a headlight with 'auto' underneath.
Old 12-19-13, 03:05 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

If this icon is supposed to show up whenever the stalk is pushed forward and the lights are set to "auto," then I don't have it. I checked the window sticker that came with the car (the original owner saved it) and there's nothing in the list of features about auto-dimming high beams, only auto-dimming mirrors.
Old 12-19-13, 03:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's a picture of the light I was talking about. As you can see the headlights and fog lights are on. I forget if it stays on when they're off. That tells you how much I use it, LOL! Also, I checked the print out on my 450h (no window sticker since I special ordered), 'intelligent' high beams were under optional equipment - LED Headlamps w/AFS, Intelligent High Beams and Headlamp Washer. Check the headlight description. HIDs were part of the comfort package, I'm not sure about halogens.
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Dimming High Beams-img_0024-3.jpg  

Last edited by kitlz; 12-19-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 03:59 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I have HID headlights. It looks like the trick is turning on the foglights. So maybe this thingie in my windshield above and to the right side of the mirror has something to do with it? It has a big square window on the street side.
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Dimming High Beams-windshield-thingie.jpg  
Old 12-19-13, 04:01 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not dig auto dimming high beams. What if you need to flash your brights at an oncoming vehicle with high beams on. Will it work?
Old 12-20-13, 07:30 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Originally Posted by falconer
I would not dig auto dimming high beams. What if you need to flash your brights at an oncoming vehicle with high beams on. Will it work?
No the lights are allready on "high" when using auto dimming. So you can't flash unless you go back to manual mode.
Old 12-20-13, 08:10 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
I have HID headlights. It looks like the trick is turning on the foglights. So maybe this thingie in my windshield above and to the right side of the mirror has something to do with it? It has a big square window on the street side.
In an effort to clear up some possible confusion.....

Does your RX have "rain-sensing windshield wiper?" Those are the kind that come on automatically when it starts to rain, IF you have the selector set to "auto" on the wiper stalk.

If so--and I'm betting you have this option--then that device on your windshield is the rain-sensing device for this option.
Old 12-20-13, 09:07 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my auto high beam lights. Why did Lexus discontinue? Is it on other models like the GS?
Old 12-20-13, 09:20 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by RickC5
In an effort to clear up some possible confusion.....

Does your RX have "rain-sensing windshield wiper?" Those are the kind that come on automatically when it starts to rain, IF you have the selector set to "auto" on the wiper stalk.

If so--and I'm betting you have this option--then that device on your windshield is the rain-sensing device for this option.
Yes, it has the fancy windshield wipers. Though I would've thought that the sensor for the wipers would be on the exterior side of the windshield. So it senses rain photoelectronically? In any case, I tried setting the headlights to auto and high-beam and the fog lights to "on" last night and I did not see the icon for auto-dimming where it's supposed to show up between the headlight icon and the high-beam icon, so I guess I don't have that feature and I'll just have to remember to dim the lights myself.

I started seriously wondering about this after my wife was ticketed for failing to dim her lights for an oncoming cop car (her Camry's headlights have auto on/off, but no auto-dimming feature). This was in Simi Valley, Calif., where she was visiting her daughter. The place is full of cops, both active and retired. The ticket cost us $239. I just hope it didn't add any points to her driving record and raise our future insurance premiums.
Old 12-20-13, 03:10 PM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the auto-dimming headlights work quite well. I'm in a suburban metro area and have some winding, wooded roads that can be deer magnets at night. The auto-dimming high beams gives me a better look at them while quickly dimming when it senses an oncoming car. Along with the 'follow the road' beam, this works great for me.
Old 12-21-13, 11:49 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding is that you also have to have the green light turned on that's located below the rearview mirror. It's the same light that we're used to having turned on for autodimming. I thought I read that in the manual that that light must be turned on also. Then the stalk for the headlights must be pushed back. Of course, you won't see the "auto" indicator light up until it gets darker in the evening, I believe

I really enjoy my auto high beams, although they're a little sensitive if you live in a city that has lots of lights all around. But they're awesome out on a dark country road!

Oh, and make sure the stalk for the light controls is set to auto also!

Last edited by EMSLEXUSRX; 12-21-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 01:33 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

The green light has been on all along. I tried going through the procedure at night, but the auto-dimming icon did not appear. I wouldn't want to rely on this feature in actual driving if I couldn't be sure that I had it, of course.
Old 12-21-13, 06:00 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
The green light has been on all along. I tried going through the procedure at night, but the auto-dimming icon did not appear. I wouldn't want to rely on this feature in actual driving if I couldn't be sure that I had it, of course.
Okay. So your green light on the rear view mirror is on. I take it that the stalk that has the light controls is pushed back. Do you have the light control on the stalk also set to auto? If these three things are set, you should get the headlight icon with the word, "auto" on the Instrument panel showing up. If I'm remembering correctly, though, you will only see this "auto" icon showing up at dusk or dark when the automatic headlights come on.

Quick Reply: Automatic Dimming High Beams