RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cleaning and protection recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 06:37 PM
Jeme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning and protection recommendations

So I just purchased a smokey grey RX450 with the grey interior. I love the exterior color and like the interior as well, I am just concerned that they grey leather is so light in color.

So that said does anybody have any hints, tips or tricks to keep the grey leather clean?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-10, 06:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Be careful when you wear jeans. They can stain the seats over time. It's a topic covered in the detailing section or do a search to find out more. The first thing I did with my interior (black) was to apply UV protection on the leather. 303 is good for that. After, I'd say keep up on cleaning the seats and surfaces every once in a while with a quality cleaner. The vendors here carry everything you'll ever need and they're awesome. Don't forget to use their discount codes.

Nice color combo, BTW!
Old 09-29-10, 05:48 PM
Jeme
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else here with the grey interior - how is it holding up? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-10, 05:52 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Be careful when you wear jeans
Isn't the jean's thing more for a Tan interior and dependent on the finish of the leather? I've worn jeans for years in my Cadillac and ever since I've had the '01 ES and never noticed any staining. Also been wearing jeans for the past 7 years in our '03 ES without noticing any stains. However we are already noticing creasing and stains from clothing on the drivers seat of the RX, and I've seen friends cars that look like **** due to clothing stains. I think it's more dependent on color and finish than it is just being leather in general.

To answer your question Jeme, I've found Lexus leather to be very durable over the years. Maintain properly and you should be fine.
Old 10-01-10, 04:07 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Ivory Seats in my RX and 2 previous RX's. The Lexus leather is sealed so Protectants etc are a waste of time as they won't absorb into the leather and can clog the perforations if applied too heavy. Just mix 1 part Woolite to 5 parts water and place on a spray bottle. Spray the seats concerned and wipe down with a Microfibre cloth. That will remove any blue form jeans etc and keep the leather looking clean and new for years to come.
Old 10-01-10, 08:42 AM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by harleydjce
I have the Ivory Seats in my RX and 2 previous RX's. The Lexus leather is sealed so Protectants etc are a waste of time as they won't absorb into the leather and can clog the perforations if applied too heavy. Just mix 1 part Woolite to 5 parts water and place on a spray bottle. Spray the seats concerned and wipe down with a Microfibre cloth. That will remove any blue form jeans etc and keep the leather looking clean and new for years to come.
Not sure how well the leather is protected... We have an RX350 without the Lux package (which comes with the semi-aniline leather) and I tried to reach out to lexus for info on if the leather is protected or not and they couldnt give me a straight answer.

After about a month of ownership I noticed the rear seat backs we starting to dry out (become rough and wrinkly). I then used lexol cleaner and conditioner and noticed a big difference right away. After cleaning I applied 3 coats of conditioner and the leather was still soaking it up very quickly.

My previous IS350 with Lux did have the semi-aniline leather and it was noticeably more resistant to drying and creasing.

Long story short from my experience I do not believe that the non-Lux package RX's come with protected leather.

Ryan
Old 10-01-10, 08:53 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zak21
Not sure how well the leather is protected... We have an RX350 without the Lux package (which comes with the semi-aniline leather) and I tried to reach out to lexus for info on if the leather is protected or not and they couldnt give me a straight answer.

After about a month of ownership I noticed the rear seat backs we starting to dry out (become rough and wrinkly). I then used lexol cleaner and conditioner and noticed a big difference right away. After cleaning I applied 3 coats of conditioner and the leather was still soaking it up very quickly.

My previous IS350 with Lux did have the semi-aniline leather and it was noticeably more resistant to drying and creasing.

Long story short from my experience I do not believe that the non-Lux package RX's come with protected leather.

Ryan
The simplest way is to check your handbook. It advises the best way to care for your leather. Mine states pretty much what I said in my earlier post. I don't believe that Lexus would differentiate between models however given the US models can be different to the rest of the world I can't rule it out. When in doubt, check the manual and ask Lexus.
Old 10-02-10, 08:54 AM
gladiator9
Driver

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Isn't the jean's thing more for a Tan interior and dependent on the finish of the leather? I've worn jeans for years in my Cadillac and ever since I've had the '01 ES and never noticed any staining. Also been wearing jeans for the past 7 years in our '03 ES without noticing any stains. However we are already noticing creasing and stains from clothing on the drivers seat of the RX, and I've seen friends cars that look like **** due to clothing stains. I think it's more dependent on color and finish than it is just being leather in general.

To answer your question Jeme, I've found Lexus leather to be very durable over the years. Maintain properly and you should be fine.
Hi!
Nice collection!
Just wondering where the side mouldings came from? Are they from Sewell?
We just bought a 2010 RX in Starfire Pearl and I would like to get some body side mouldings, as well as some splash guards (mud flaps) and a Hood...bug or stone deflector.
Our collection includes a 2005 Avalon and a 2002 Thunderbird for those Sunday car club cruises.
Also for fun a 2006 BMW 1200 LT touring bike! That's all the toys I can afford!! Life is short so we must enjoy it.
Cheers,
JB
Old 10-02-10, 09:06 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gladiator9
Hi!
Nice collection!
Just wondering where the side mouldings came from? Are they from Sewell?
We just bought a 2010 RX in Starfire Pearl and I would like to get some body side mouldings, as well as some splash guards (mud flaps) and a Hood...bug or stone deflector.
Our collection includes a 2005 Avalon and a 2002 Thunderbird for those Sunday car club cruises.
Also for fun a 2006 BMW 1200 LT touring bike! That's all the toys I can afford!! Life is short so we must enjoy it.
Cheers,
JB
Thanks for the Compliment JB. Those side moldings on the RX were done by Lexus shortly after purchasing. They ordered them for us and we went back a few days later to have them applied.
Old 10-02-10, 02:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Be careful when you wear jeans. They can stain the seats over time. It's a topic covered in the detailing section or do a search to find out more. The first thing I did with my interior (black) was to apply UV protection on the leather. 303 is good for that. After, I'd say keep up on cleaning the seats and surfaces every once in a while with a quality cleaner. The vendors here carry everything you'll ever need and they're awesome. Don't forget to use their discount codes.

Nice color combo, BTW!
Is it a common problem with jeans staining leather? I've never had the problem and wear jeans most of the time.

My last three cars have had tan or light gray leather - Two perforated and one regular.

Any idea what causes it? The jeans, the leather, some kinds of cleaners or conditioners?
Old 10-02-10, 03:17 PM
E12ic46
Driver

I would say depending on the type of jeans you wear. A lot of designer jeans use color dye which will rub off....esp the darker ones.
Old 10-02-10, 09:38 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Default Blue Jeans??

Originally Posted by E12ic46
I would say depending on the type of jeans you wear. A lot of designer jeans use color dye which will rub off....esp the darker ones.
I would say to launder any new blue jeans several times before wearing them, that way most of the dye will come out before you colour your seats. I would suggest using a leather cleaner and preservative on your leather seats to help protect them as soon as possible.. That should make it easer to remove any colouring that may transfer from your jeans to the seats. You could always sit on a towel or seat cover but why hide such nice seats?
JB
Old 10-03-10, 11:31 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't just jeans, but also black leather jackets, black clot jackets, etc.