RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

weak roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 05:44 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default weak roof

came back from trip and I needed extra storage so I resorted to root-top carrier [soft-top] and held it down using just the rail. word of advice for those planning the same. roof top is really weak [disappointed] and it will easily "buckle" with slightest weight/pressure so don't put too much weight on the top. after this incident, I seriously advice using hard-top mount it to cross-bar.

Toyota could have "deepen" the cargo area and easily could have created additional 10-15 cubic feet or space like all of the newer minivans. I saw the wasted space while putting on the hitch and wonder why Toyota didn't utilize the "free" space.
Old 08-27-10, 08:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear about your bad experience. how many lbs did you load up on the roof top carrier? i would certainly go back to lexus to have this fixed under warranty. the roof shouldn't buckle that easily!
Old 08-27-10, 08:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

as a side note though, the RX passed with flying colors through the roof strength test by IIHS during a rollover

as for deepening the storage area, I agree. The old RX has storage bins underneath the floor, but this was made possible by moving the spare tire underneath the car. Then those who lived cold climates complained that the salt would get all up inside the spare.
Old 08-28-10, 05:50 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
came back from trip and I needed extra storage so I resorted to root-top carrier [soft-top] and held it down using just the rail. word of advice for those planning the same. roof top is really weak [disappointed] and it will easily "buckle" with slightest weight/pressure so don't put too much weight on the top. after this incident, I seriously advice using hard-top mount it to cross-bar.

Toyota could have "deepen" the cargo area and easily could have created additional 10-15 cubic feet or space like all of the newer minivans. I saw the wasted space while putting on the hitch and wonder why Toyota didn't utilize the "free" space.
The Gen III RX rails by themselves are nothing more than decoration. To 'use' them, you need crossbars or other accessory attachments. without 'strips' on the roof I couldn't even imagine it as a place to stow anything, hey paint scratches easily. I don't believe anything in the manual indicates you can use the roof without crossbars are other accessory's.
Old 08-28-10, 09:36 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you can get it fix under warranty, if you don't use Lexus accessories. But you can always try.

Also, I read somewhere that the roof is made of aluminum to keep the weight down. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-28-10, 10:18 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The Gen III RX rails by themselves are nothing more than decoration. To 'use' them, you need crossbars or other accessory attachments. without 'strips' on the roof I couldn't even imagine it as a place to stow anything, hey paint scratches easily. I don't believe anything in the manual indicates you can use the roof without crossbars are other accessory's.
"nothing more than decoration" is probably a correct assessment. I only carried about 30lbs of "fluff" stuff but I can easily press with a thumb to roof to buckle.

I wasn't really concern about little scratches as I have already accumulated many small to large chips all over the front and roof line where windshield meet as well as windshield from driving on NE highways during winter months [killer months for cars]. some will recommend clear bra but I have already tried that on other vehicles but I didn't like the discoloration and other cosmetic aftermath for having it on after few years. I just fully utilize the vehicles for intended use and I really like 10RX for its quietest and smoothest ride among any SUV/CUV.

Toyota engineers could have easily created 6-8 inch deeper cargo/storage area to create additional 10-15 cubic feet of space. a lot of newer SUV/CUV/minivans as well as my recently purchased KIA Soul has "deeper" cargo/storage.