RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Garage Door Slam on Hood

Old 08-03-10, 08:25 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Garage Door Slam on Hood

Updated the story. Sorry all that had to read my angry ranting earlier. It is what it is and I had to vent, now that I got over it, it's pretty whatevers and the dent is pretty small haha.

Accident was my dad parks the RX halfway in the garage and is vacuuming something out of the trunk, with the garage door opener in pocket.
Surprise: Garage door starts slamming down. He doesn't realize what's happening until the garage slammed on the hood. And then he's walking back, fidgeting with the opener in his pocket.

2nd Surprise: Garage door starts coming down again and this time he goes to try and stop it.

Unhappy mom and this all happened when I was at work, so I come back after a 12 hour workday to hear this story and it was frustrating to hear something that could have totally been avoided.

Edited as I've cooled down over it and just needed to vent at the time. Lesson learned, never park car halfway in garage and garage doors can be your worst enemy! haha

Last edited by JDKane527; 08-03-10 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Cooled down
Old 08-03-10, 09:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm really surprised the sensors didn't pick up on that.

Chalk it up to expensive lesson learned, fortunately not on your dime, and move on. I feel bad for your mom. And maybe hide the garage door opener from your dad, permanently.
Old 08-03-10, 09:12 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i feel your pain, sorry to hear what happened. but accidents do happen (unfortunately). i'm sure your dad feels bad already. as long as there's no frame damage, the RX is structurally intact. the hood can be replaced and it will like just like new.
Old 08-03-10, 09:18 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I'm really surprised the sensors didn't pick up on that.

Chalk it up to expensive lesson learned, fortunately not on your dime, and move on. I feel bad for your mom. And maybe hide the garage door opener from your dad, permanently.
typically sensors are low to the ground so there is a good chance that it was just running right under the car and not picking up that a car was even there
Old 08-03-10, 11:09 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JDKane527
God sometimes my dad is so stupid and just doesn't think.
He parks the RX halfway in the garage and is vacuuming something out of the trunk, with the garage door opener in pocket.
Surprise: Garage door starts slamming down. He doesn't realize what's happening until the garage slammed on the hood. And then he's walking back, fidgeting with the opener in his pocket.

2nd Surprise: Garage door starts coming down again and this time he goes to try and stop it.

His argument for not doing anything the first time:
Thinking that the garage door opener would sense the car was halfway, well it would have if it was tripping the sensor, which it wasn't.

Unhappy mom and this all happened when I was at work, so I come back after a 12 hour workday to hear this story and just feel mad that money needs to be wasted over stupid things that could have totally been avoided.

It's ridiculous he's the one that advocates for parking far away from everything to avoid door dings and such. We should just park far away from him. It's frustrating wanting to get it fixed for my mom, while at the same time I'd rather just leave it there and be a reminder to my dad to think before he does stuff.

Glad I'm moving back to USC in a few weeks.
We all have accidents that could have been avoided and make us seem foolish.

Those are pretty strong words of criticism above though. As has been pointed out, he's probably pretty sorry. How many dad's do you have ??? Maybe he needs a little sympathy ???

Just my take
Old 08-03-10, 11:13 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

At the time I was writing it I was still angry and needed to calm down a bit. I'm trying to look at places to undo the dent, and then I'll just use touchup paint, polish, and seal it with wax to cover it up. The dent is the big thing that's noticeable and although the paint is scratched, it's in a part that won't be too noticeable once it's smooth along the original lines.
Jim you're right, although my dad does somethings that frustrate me and wonder "How on God's green earth could you have let that happen!?!?" I still love him regardless as my dad. Just wish he would learn his lessons and think before he acts. Many expensive mistakes...
Old 08-03-10, 11:35 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by JDKane527
At the time I was writing it I was still angry and needed to calm down a bit. I'm trying to look at places to undo the dent, and then I'll just use touchup paint, polish, and seal it with wax to cover it up. The dent is the big thing that's noticeable and although the paint is scratched, it's in a part that won't be too noticeable once it's smooth along the original lines.
Jim you're right, although my dad does somethings that frustrate me and wonder "How on God's green earth could you have let that happen!?!?" I still love him regardless as my dad. Just wish he would learn his lessons and think before he acts. Many expensive mistakes...
just take the RX to a reputable bodyshop and have it fixed/repainted professionally. it saves you time, energy and frustration in trying to repair the damage. and your dad can foot the bill. once you get it back, you won't be able to see a difference.
Old 08-03-10, 11:47 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I sense another mod coming up! I feel your pain man...

Hey JD, you can move into my basement anytime...
Old 08-03-10, 11:49 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

What kind of garage door do you have?

1) the kind where its one giant piece of wood

or 2) the multiple pieces?

because I dont see the latter causing that much damage...the first one though maybe so. Anywhoo, just thought Id lighten the situation a bit.

on a side note, did you (OP) change your username? I dont recall it but I recognize the your avatar.
Old 08-03-10, 12:05 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of damage on the hood?
Many years ago I did the same thing on my brand bmw. I close the garage door and it hit the hood. But no damage whatsover.
Old 08-03-10, 12:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Johnny
I sense another mod coming up! I feel your pain man...

Hey JD, you can move into my basement anytime...
i'm fairly certain (at a 95% confidence level) there are no carbon fiber hoods for the 3RX yet!

and if JD doesn't want to move into your basement, he can move into mine.
Old 08-03-10, 01:55 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i'm fairly certain (at a 95% confidence level) there are no carbon fiber hoods for the 3RX yet!

and if JD doesn't want to move into your basement, he can move into mine.
Storm, who said JD is gonna wait until 3RX hood mod comes out? He'll create his own and be posting the pictures with detailed install instructions by this weekend

JD, hang in there. Fortunately only the car was damaged and that's fixable. In a few years you'll be laughing about it with your dad. Good luck.
Old 08-03-10, 01:58 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Hahaa It was the first kind of garage door, where the whole door is solid one piece. the metal rail on the bottom was what I believe hit the hood. I'm going to take a picture of it tonight, Garage door 1, RX 0.
I'm going to have this shop my manager went to check it out and give us an estimate tonight.

Pretty over it already, accidents happen, I talked to my dad about it and apologized to him for letting emotions take over earlier. I was going to get touch up and wetsand the clear, touch it up, and polish, and seal that as well as 2 other scratches on the side of the RX. My mom hit some boxes while backing up the car in the garage too, but those weren't as bad and were just her bad sight that caused, not having a garage door opener in your pocket with the car parked halfway in the garage.
Old 08-03-10, 03:50 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

**** happens. After a major snowstorm a tree fell on our 03 ES just days after buying it new. Move on, you still have a great car.
Old 08-03-10, 04:20 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
**** happens. After a major snowstorm a tree fell on our 03 ES just days after buying it new. Move on, you still have a great car.
I know, but at least it wasn't at your own family's hands.
It's like screwing something up yourself. It's more frustrating when it's your own fault for something, sort of like kicking yourself haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Door Slam on Hood