RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bumper and Fender replaced - here's the cost if anyone is interested

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 05:18 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumper and Fender replaced - here's the cost if anyone is interested

Hi all.

I've seen lots of posts about the cost of repairs and replacements and figured it might help someone to share my experience recently.

My wife's car was hit (and run) in a parking lot. We had to get the front bumper, front left fender and the housing around the fog light replaced.

The body shop did a really good job (although I have to go back as I believe they did not connect the sensor for the keyless entry correctly - not working ).

Here is what they did:

Replace front bumper. NOT painted from Lexus. They had to treat the unpainted bumper, pull out the chemicals that would not allow a good seal (evidently many body shops don't do this and that's why you see paint peeling off of replaced bumpers sometimes) and then paint it.

They replaced the left front fender and painted that as well as about 1/3 of the way into the driver side door to make sure it matches. We have the Truffle Mica paint with a lot of metallic flecks and they did a really good job. I was worried about that.

As far as I can tell, no issues with the paint looking off or any other issues. I likely wouldn't have even known they did the work!!

Total cost was about $2100. Covered by insurance with deductible.

I think the bumper and the fender cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 and $380 respectively. Then the labor and painting added to the total.

Incidentally, I found out that my insurance company (State Farm) has a limit of $1350 for their payout before it is supposed to affect our premiums, etc. So if the accident had been her fault I likely would have just paid the $1600 difference between our deductible and the cost to avoid having a claim on insurance. Since she wasn't in the car it won't affect us anyway but thought that was good info that I didn't know before.

Hope that helps someone if they ever need to have this type of work done.

Jay

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 07-31-10 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-31-10, 08:07 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Airbag question

I thought I knew everything but .....
If your car is parked in a lot and someone hits it when your engine is off, can the airbags still deploy? If so a simple hit & run like was just described could go from a simple repair to possible total. The cost of replacing airbags is horrendous and if the dash bags deploy then most of the time the cost is enough (along with destroyed dash & steering wheel) to total a car for parts.
Old 07-31-10, 01:07 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question! This wasn't anywhere near that bad!!!

Just a dented corner of the bumper and a dented & scratched fender.

The body shop said that, if there were not clips broken on the bumper then our insurance company would have tried to have them pop the bumper back out and touch it up vs. replacing it. I guess it was lucky we had a few clips that haed popped.

I'll be the bill would have been much higher had the airbags deployed!!!

Jay