RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)

Old 07-09-10, 04:28 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)

Anyone else get this?

Took it to dealer and they told me it was a broken charcoal canister for the exhaust. wtf?

My 2010 RX350 has 14K mi.
Old 07-09-10, 05:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i assume whatever that is, it was changed under warranty?
Old 07-09-10, 05:55 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD issue?

I thought that broken piece is something related to gas cap, emission, or the fuel vapors, etc.

Interesting.
Old 07-09-10, 06:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I also thought that was related to emissions and containing fuel vapors till the engine is started, I never would have thought it has to do with AWD.
Old 07-10-10, 05:41 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Replaced under warranty.

No idea why an emissions sensor failed and caused the AWD System message to come on (as well as the engine light and trac control light).

They feeding me a bunch of BS?
Old 07-11-10, 03:28 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Warning lights

I just had a very similar problem with 2003 Toyota Highlander - the Engine and VSC lights came up on the dash all of a sudden. Took the vehicle to the dealer, and they fixed it in no time. Apparently, I was told, it was a loose air hose. I took almost 3K mile vacation trip since then, and the problem hasn't reappeared so far.
Thought I'd share this for an analogy.
Old 11-24-11, 11:13 AM
ncaler
Driver School Candidate

Our RX350 got the same "Check AWD System" message. Brought it to check and they said it was because the fuel cap was not tight. I am suspicious of that answer because we brought gas 2 days before the message came up. Looking at this forum, looks like Lexus are giving all kind of weird explanation for this message.
Old 11-25-11, 08:26 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
Replaced under warranty.

No idea why an emissions sensor failed and caused the AWD System message to come on (as well as the engine light and trac control light).

They feeding me a bunch of BS?
Actually it's pretty standard procedure for how Lexus alerts the driver to emissions-related issues. My 2001 RX illuminates the Check Engine and VSC lights when (among other things) an O2 sensor needs to be replaced. A readout from the diagnostics unit (free at many auto parts franchises or $100+ at your local Lexus dealer ) will tell you what exactly the issue is.
Old 11-25-11, 04:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On some cars, if you over top off the gas tank when you fill up this can get gas into the charcoal emissions system (for gas vapors) and cause an emissions system failure. If gas gets into this part of the emissions system (canister) it is ruined. I don't know how the RX is configured, but I never top off my gas tank. I don't think this kind of user error is typically covered under warranty and can be expensive. Did you top off your gas tank prior to this failure? Perhaps the vehicle can not determine how serious the gas tank failure is and throws up a number of warnings to insure that the problem gets the drivers attention.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-25-11 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-25-11, 07:09 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
Actually it's pretty standard procedure for how Lexus alerts the driver to emissions-related issues. My 2001 RX illuminates the Check Engine and VSC lights when (among other things) an O2 sensor needs to be replaced. A readout from the diagnostics unit (free at many auto parts franchises or $100+ at your local Lexus dealer ) will tell you what exactly the issue is.

had the same exact problem with our '10 rx they replaced 2 O2 sensors, under warranty, problem solved. check engine, vsc, check awd system and wrong outside temp readings lighted.
Old 01-05-12, 10:39 AM
tdgandmsb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!! Lots of info there, appreciate the link. Mark
Old 05-04-12, 05:44 PM
Howard2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ncaler
Our RX350 got the same "Check AWD System" message. Brought it to check and they said it was because the fuel cap was not tight. I am suspicious of that answer because we brought gas 2 days before the message came up. Looking at this forum, looks like Lexus are giving all kind of weird explanation for this message.
Well, "TRAC OFF" and "Check AWD" message showed on the display on my 300 miles new 2012 RX. I was a little upset. But ... thank you for your message. I took out gas cap and tighted it up again, the message is gone. Now I need to cancel my appointment ...

FYI - I filled up my gas three days ago. Just tight the gas cap would not work. I need to took the gas cap off, and tight it up. Hope this helps some to many.
Old 05-07-12, 09:02 PM
ncaler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Howard2002
Well, "TRAC OFF" and "Check AWD" message showed on the display on my 300 miles new 2012 RX. I was a little upset. But ... thank you for your message. I took out gas cap and tighted it up again, the message is gone. Now I need to cancel my appointment ...

FYI - I filled up my gas three days ago. Just tight the gas cap would not work. I need to took the gas cap off, and tight it up. Hope this helps some to many.
Thank you very much for your post. As you saw in my post, I was skeptical, but looks like you are proving that they might be right. The problem might very well be the gas cap. Good to know.

For me, nothing happened since. All is good!
Old 05-08-12, 05:12 PM
Howard2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Howard2002

Sorry! Concluded too early. It was more compicated than gas cap. "Check Engine" light came up again with same message "TRAC OFF" and "Check AWD System". Brought to dealer and told "Crank Position Sensor" malfunction - error code P0335. My car has only 450 miles. Disappointed. Hope it never happens again.
Old 05-09-12, 06:29 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Not just on Lexus, the names of the instrument panel fault indicators on today's high tech cars often has nothing to do with the actual component at fault; which is why the dealer tech must use special equipment connected to your car for further diagnosis; otherwise, there would not be enough space on the instrument panel to differentiate all potential problems. I suppose Lexus could design the vehicle to feed all the detailed diagnostic to the Nav screen so the owner could view them but that potentially can take business away from dealership repair shops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)