RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 08:40 AM
dozorca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.... I recently got the check-engine + All Wheel Drive system lights on 2010 RX350 with 40,000 miles. I was advise it might be the fuel cap issue but the lights didn't go away for 2 weeks. When I got back to the dealer, I was advised it is the Oxygen Sensor and it needed to be replaced. It strikes me a bit odd that 40,000 miles requires a new oxygen sensor. I've had many cars from Honda which never had these issues well into 70,000+ miles. Is this a trend that happening on our cars or is this normal? My car is still under warranty so the fix was free, but will it go again in another 40,000 miles requiring an expensive repair... anyone heard of a TSB or recall for the O2 sensor?

Thanks,
Old 07-11-12, 08:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

dozorca, I had O2 sensors replaced in my 300 and 330 in the 40K mile range so I don't find it unusual. I'm not aware of any TSBs on them. The repairs were covered under warranty. Didn't keep them long enough to know if they lasted.
Old 09-09-14, 06:58 AM
hp2389
Driver School Candidate

Default Check AWD System/Hard Downshifting

So I just purchased my new-to-me, CPO 2010 RX 350 two weeks ago. It had 81,750 miles when I purchased it, and it now has about 83,000 miles. I just came back from a weekend vacation, having driving about 500 miles total. This morning when I turned on the car, I noticed a message saying "Check AWD System," the check engine light was on, the general warning light was on, and the traction control light was on. As I was driving, I realized that the car wasn't downshifting properly. I didn't drive faster than 40 mph on my morning commute. When the car did downshift, it was a hard, jerky shift.

I did some reading on the forum, and many people suggested all the warning lights could be fixed by taking off and retightening the gas cap (due to the vehicle not reading the emissions properly or something?). I also read that topping off and overfilling the gas tank can be cause for the warning lights to go on. I did fill up once on my way home from my vacation, and haven't filled up since.

Anyways, I just now tried to adjust the gas cap and then restart the car, but the warning lights are still on. Any suggestions as to what I should do or if I should drive it a bit to let the emissions build up again? My problem is is that I live about 6 hours from a Lexus dealership, so I'm trying to figure out if I can resolve this on my own or what I should tell a mechanic specifically if I need to take it in.

Thank you for the assistance!
Old 09-09-14, 07:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

One thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for 15 min to see if it clears the code. Paying extra for a CPO may not have been the best idea, considering closest Lexus dealer is 6 hours away.
Old 09-09-14, 07:20 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the lights are on and you have CPO coverage, take it to the dealer Can you take to a Toyota dealership? Doesn't make sense to clear the lights if car isn't acting normal.

Agree that CPO isn't helpful if it takes 6 hours to get help.
Old 09-09-14, 07:24 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

need to get the codes in the ecm read, start from there
Old 09-09-14, 07:30 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1

Yes, I meant to say that as well. First stop is to hit an Autozone and have them pull your code for you. Will tell you exactly what the problem and how serious it may or may not be.
Old 09-09-14, 08:21 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by hp2389
So I just purchased my new-to-me, CPO 2010 RX 350 two weeks ago. It had 81,750 miles when I purchased it, and it now has about 83,000 miles. I just came back from a weekend vacation, having driving about 500 miles total. This morning when I turned on the car, I noticed a message saying "Check AWD System," the check engine light was on, the general warning light was on, and the traction control light was on. As I was driving, I realized that the car wasn't downshifting properly. I didn't drive faster than 40 mph on my morning commute. When the car did downshift, it was a hard, jerky shift.

I did some reading on the forum, and many people suggested all the warning lights could be fixed by taking off and retightening the gas cap (due to the vehicle not reading the emissions properly or something?). I also read that topping off and overfilling the gas tank can be cause for the warning lights to go on. I did fill up once on my way home from my vacation, and haven't filled up since.

Anyways, I just now tried to adjust the gas cap and then restart the car, but the warning lights are still on. Any suggestions as to what I should do or if I should drive it a bit to let the emissions build up again? My problem is is that I live about 6 hours from a Lexus dealership, so I'm trying to figure out if I can resolve this on my own or what I should tell a mechanic specifically if I need to take it in.

Thank you for the assistance!
The "check AWD system" warning is different from the check engine light. Your engine is in limp mode therefore it won't shift and to the car from being driven to avoid further damage. CPO? I'd suggest have it towed to the dealer since you have free towing and it doesn't matter if you're 6 hours away from the dealership.
Old 09-09-14, 11:14 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Call the dealer, describe the symptoms and service lights and see what they recommend. Ask if you can take the RX to a nearby Toyota dealer for diagnostics and/or repair or do they want it towed to them. They may come and get it themselves and bring a loaner for you to use.

Getting the dealer involved early in warranty related problems helps in getting a satisfactory resolution.
Old 09-09-14, 11:25 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Let us know what happens! And don't drive it anymore until it is repaired! You do not want to be responsible for creating more damage.
Old 09-11-14, 02:59 PM
PETERPHAN8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to replace a transmission oil filter. It located inside the transmission oild pan. the part called a tranikit. My old ES was acting like that at 150,000 miles. you can buy it at autozone for $25 and DIY.
Old 09-13-14, 07:29 PM
hp2389
Driver School Candidate

Ok everyone, thank you all for your great advice and suggestions! I called the dealer and the service manager suggested I take it to a shop and have them first check to see if my battery was bad, since that could apparently have an affect on all the systems. So I took it to a Mom-and-Pop auto place to have them check the batter. The battery had never been changed, and was therefore bad, so I did have them install a new one. Unfortunately, it did not resolve any of the issues like the dealership had hoped it would do. Thus, I decided to have it towed to the Toyota dealership an hour away.

Aside from a terribly delayed towing experience, my car is now in the shop and was diagnosed with rodent damage to a few key wires. Mind you, I do live in a rural part of Southwestern Colorado, and so I suppose I should expect rodent issues. However, in all the decades my family has lived out there, we've never had an issue with rodents damaging our cars. I suppose in the end, it was just bad luck. The latest update is that my car should be finished in a few days, as long as the parts arrive on time and that the insurance approves the rodent damage. I have now been researching ways to repel rodents, and will probably go with the idea of parking the car over a tray of mothballs.

Definitely a bummer situation, but I suppose it could have been much worse.Thanks again, everyone, for your help!
Old 09-13-14, 11:03 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I wonder if the rodent damage was missed by the people that did the 161 point CPO inspection. Hopefully, you can get someone to authenticate the age of the rodent damage. Like they do on CSI. Seriously, your CPO warranty could possibly cover this if it's proven they sold you the car this way.

Last edited by raylor4; 09-13-14 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-16, 12:53 PM
Dapsie
Driver School Candidate

Default CEL on indicating "Check AWD system, TRAC off"

Hi all, my 2015 Lexus RX 350 has been indicating "Check AWD system, TRAC off" for sometime now. It all started when I overfilled the tank and it spilled over. The indicator came on after about 12 hours. What may be responsible. The car is barely 6 months old and don't know what to do right now.

Please assist with info
Old 04-12-16, 01:06 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

You should bring it in and get it fixed under warranty. There can be many things. My IS250 had bad O2 sensor, it also gave me the same CEL.

Quick Reply: "Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)