RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

18's or 19's???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 10:58 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 18's or 19's???

Hey guys-

So I am in the midst of working some numbers with various dealerships- however they are having trouble locating me a starfire pearl w/navi and the 19" option. The only cars they have found for me with the 19's on them are 2 black ones, and a gray. Now I am particular to starfire pearl- It looks awesome in the RX, but I am also partial to the 19" wheels. I personally think they look amazing on the RX- and make's it look completely different.

What should I do here???
Old 07-07-10, 05:14 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Hey guys-

So I am in the midst of working some numbers with various dealerships- however they are having trouble locating me a starfire pearl w/navi and the 19" option. The only cars they have found for me with the 19's on them are 2 black ones, and a gray. Now I am particular to starfire pearl- It looks awesome in the RX, but I am also partial to the 19" wheels. I personally think they look amazing on the RX- and make's it look completely different.

What should I do here???
19" aren't special wheels so dealer should be able to swop out the wheels as individual option unless you are also looking for sports package. 2011 will be coming in soon so they probably stopped building the 2010s already. You will probably have limited selection at this point but should get a good deal on all left overs.
Old 07-07-10, 06:09 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd say keep looking if having that color/wheel size if it's that important to you. It might mean waiting until the 2011 RXs come out (soon?) but you'll get what you want. There are lots of dealers in the tristate area so your chances are better than most. Good luck.
Old 07-07-10, 06:17 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree the Dealer should be able to get you a set of 19's. The 19's are a little noisier, not really rougher riding. They are the better looking of the tires. The Chrome 19's look amazing with the Starfire, of course I'm prejudice. Ha!
Old 07-07-10, 09:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

MEP7557, I'm sure the chrome rims with Starfire looks awesome. A little extra sparkle. The sport rims are different, a tad darker with an alloy finish on the 450h or superchrome on the 350. That's one thing I definitely will not change on my 450h.

I went from the 18"s on my 330 to the 19"s. I noticed turning was not as easy. It's almost like the steering wheel was bigger. But I got over than quickly. I have the sport-tuned suspension now so I can't comment too much on the ride other than to say I like it. It's not mushy or loose. Nice and tight!
Old 07-07-10, 09:46 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd say go with the 18's and switch later on if you are really that disappointed. I initially favored the 19's, but after further deliberation advised my mother not to get them. Basically, I felt that the higher cost of new tires, less tire life, worse traction and less cosmetically appealing (opinion of course) did not warrant getting the 19's over 18's. We've been very happy with our 18's and Michelins. RX isn't a really sporty car, so unless you really like the look of that 1" difference I'd say pass on the 19's. Having said that, if my mother had decided to go with the FX35 I would have recommended the 20" rims.
Old 07-07-10, 10:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with the 18"s because I wanted the softest and quietest ride I could have.
I'll sacrifice a bit more handling for the softer ride the extra sidewall height.
Even though I do love the hybrid wheels.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-07-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 10:10 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if it was me, i'd go with aftermarket 20" shoes
Old 07-07-10, 11:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Ok, I have to ask Storm, what 20" rims would you put on your 450h? I think the ones they come with are very nice. If you do go AM, at least selling the OEs won't be a problem
Old 07-07-10, 11:56 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

lol! trying to keep my mod ideas under wraps! :P i would definitely go with Work wheels (or any other jdm brand wheels). true, the factory 19" hybrid wheels are nice, i only wished they were 20" instead of 19"
Old 07-07-10, 05:14 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sightdev
19" aren't special wheels so dealer should be able to swop out the wheels as individual option unless you are also looking for sports package. 2011 will be coming in soon so they probably stopped building the 2010s already. You will probably have limited selection at this point but should get a good deal on all left overs.
That's what I had figured. Our dealer did it for us with the 2008 RX35-Took the 7 spoke 18" wheels off another RX for us, been asking them to do the same for me now-but dealers seem no budge.

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I agree the Dealer should be able to get you a set of 19's. The 19's are a little noisier, not really rougher riding. They are the better looking of the tires. The Chrome 19's look amazing with the Starfire, of course I'm prejudice. Ha!
Your ride looks reeeealllllly clean! You gotta PM me how you took off your roof rack. If anything-I'll consider selling my brand new 18's on the forum and swapping um for OEM 19's or somthing.

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
I'd say go with the 18's and switch later on if you are really that disappointed. I initially favored the 19's, but after further deliberation advised my mother not to get them. Basically, I felt that the higher cost of new tires, less tire life, worse traction and less cosmetically appealing (opinion of course) did not warrant getting the 19's over 18's. We've been very happy with our 18's and Michelins. RX isn't a really sporty car, so unless you really like the look of that 1" difference I'd say pass on the 19's. Having said that, if my mother had decided to go with the FX35 I would have recommended the 20" rims.
You do make some good points there.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
if it was me, i'd go with aftermarket 20" shoes
NAW man! It's the daily!

lol! trying to keep my mod ideas under wraps! :P i would definitely go with Work wheels (or any other jdm brand wheels). true, the factory 19" hybrid wheels are nice, i only wished they were 20" instead of 19"
WORK WHEELS FTMFW! If there was one wheel that did make a landing on the RX....It'd def be a set of works 100%

Thanks for the help guys-well unless I get a miracle...looks like i'll be in a 2010 SFP by the end of this week. ....with 18's
Old 07-07-10, 05:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

NAW man! It's the daily!

WORK WHEELS FTMFW! If there was one wheel that did make a landing on the RX....It'd def be a set of works 100%
eh, daily driver, no biggie. i drive my GS with Work wheels to/from work, it's my daily too. if you're gonna spend a lot of time in your RX, might as well enjoy it and get some nice shoes unless you're afraid you'll get your rims jacked. imho, no point in getting a nice car and mod it half way (ie: going with stock wheel upgrade). if you want to upgrade oem wheel size, aftermarket is the way to go. better selection and choice.
Old 07-07-10, 08:29 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can buy the rims on e-bay. They come and go.

If you do a search on roof rack here, there have been several postings on the removal of the rack plus the parts necessary to do so. If you need more info let me know. It is so much easier to wash and I have no need for it. I sold mine on Craig's List for $500.
Old 07-07-10, 10:17 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

eh, daily driver, no biggie. i drive my GS with Work wheels to/from work, it's my daily too. if you're gonna spend a lot of time in your RX, might as well enjoy it and get some nice shoes unless you're afraid you'll get your rims jacked. imho, no point in getting a nice car and mod it half way (ie: going with stock wheel upgrade). if you want to upgrade oem wheel size, aftermarket is the way to go. better selection and choice.
When I see you with some aftermarkets on the RX....we'll talk

Originally Posted by MEP7557
You can buy the rims on e-bay. They come and go.

If you do a search on roof rack here, there have been several postings on the removal of the rack plus the parts necessary to do so. If you need more info let me know. It is so much easier to wash and I have no need for it. I sold mine on Craig's List for $500.
Yeah-I've seen a few sets. Both regular and chrome finish. Also somewhere saw a black pearl finish? Those would be HAWTNESS on SFP.

Does the new 2010's have side running boards available for purchase?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-10, 10:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

When I see you with some aftermarkets on the RX....we'll talk
lol, touche!

Does the new 2010's have side running boards available for purchase?
I believe lexus australia has them as an oem option, but not available in us/canada

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-07-10 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 18's or 19's???