RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Our new RX350 is great but.................

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 05:47 PM
MartyE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Our new RX350 is great but has a bad exhaust vibration

We have now had our new 2010 RX350 for 3 weeks and while all the bells and whistles work well, and it's beautiful to look at in its Black Sapphire paint, there is an underlying vexing problem that the well intentioned dealer has made worse. When delivered, the RX would emit an un-Lexus like resonating droan inside the vehicle and the floor would vibrate during acceleration. The noise and the vibration would, however disappear at a constant speed and at idle. I took the car into the dealer for some followup items to be taken care of and I reported this condition. One of the head mechanics took a ride with me and agreed that the condition exists. I was told later that he had taken a new RX out on the road and that the same condition existed, and that he had "sent up a TMC for review". I was also told that they had loosened up the bolts on the exhaust system and tried to minimize the problem by repositioning it. Alas, this has not worked at all and there is now a degree of vibration at idle and at cruising speed, where before there was none. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what can be done now (like meet with a Lexus rep) instead of living with this until a response comes down from the Lexus Mother Ship. My question to you guys and ladies is, am I alone with this or have others encountered the same problem and, if you have how, was it resloved? Thanks for any feedback that you can provide.

Last edited by MartyE; 06-25-10 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Made title more specific
Old 06-25-10, 08:47 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not had any problem to the likes of which you are describing. There is perhaps a little more exhaust note than usual for a Lexus, but no vibration at all, smooth as silk.

Sorry to hear about your problem and please keep us posted.
Old 06-25-10, 08:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

no problems here.
Old 06-25-10, 09:09 AM
MartyE
Driver School Candidate

I just heard back from the dealer and the factory field rep. is going to look at it the next time he's at their facility, which should be in July. We'll see where this goes. Stay tuned...............

Last edited by MartyE; 06-25-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 12:40 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any problem that you described.
Old 06-25-10, 09:58 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems in Oz here either
Old 11-06-11, 01:13 PM
Dimjer
Driver School Candidate

I have vibration on wheel if D gear switche ON and cars don'r run (for example, staying on RED signal at roadcross)
Old 11-06-11, 03:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The OP has only 7 posts and hasn't been heard from in over 16 months, I would say he got the problem fixed and then disappeared. Too many newbies blow in here all upset with some aspect of their vehicle, CL folks try to calm them down and point them in the right direction and then we never hear from them again. Annoying. If you have a problem at least followup and let us know what the resolution was.
Old 11-06-11, 11:11 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of the times, it's USER error.
Old 11-07-11, 04:04 AM
MartyE
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved

Indeed, the problem was resolved for me, my beatifully crafted but flawed and user hostle turkey of a Lexus RX350 was traded in on a 2011 Chryler Town & Country minivan. More room, lots of more driver friendly and really useful features and it's only been back to the dealership for an oil change
Old 11-07-11, 07:31 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made in Canada

Originally Posted by MartyE
Indeed, the problem was resolved for me, my beatifully crafted but flawed and user hostle turkey of a Lexus RX350 was traded in on a 2011 Chryler Town & Country minivan. More room, lots of more driver friendly and really useful features and it's only been back to the dealership for an oil change
I am very sorry that your RX350 didn't live up to your expectations. It is too bad the dealer couldn't resolve the droning vibration but it sounds like you had other issues with the car as well. I'm just happy that you chose another product of great Canadian craftmanship, the Town & Country. If you need a muscle car we also make Camaros and Challengers up here.
Old 11-07-11, 07:41 AM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marty,

As a former owner of a NotSo Grand Caravan...which we nicknamed "The Van of Death"...all I can say is, best of luck - you'll need it long term.
If there's a single Service Writer phrase that will forever stick in my memory bank, it's "...Gosh, we've never seen THAT problem before...!"
Old 11-07-11, 01:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MartyE
Glad to see the report back that you solved your problem, but geez, a Town & Country vs. an RX350? Hope it works for you long term. Other than the droning problem what else was wrong with the RX to make it a 'hostile turkey'? If it was turkey that couldn't be fixed it sounds like it could have been pursued under your state's Lemon Law. Anyway, happy trails.
Old 11-07-11, 02:55 PM
MartyE
Driver School Candidate

Default In response to your questions

Folks - First, thanks to your responses to my posting. When I got rid of our RX it was not my intention to publicly air my frustrations but, since several of you asked what my issues were, below is the text of an e-mail that I sent to a colleague who asked how I was doing with my Lexus:

You asked about our 2010 RX. Alas, it was gone after 8 months. Why you may ask, well, to start with it’s a beautifully crafted turkey. In many ways it’s simply an underwhelming vehicle for the money, and here’s why I got rid of it:

1. Almost immediately after driving off from the dealership I looked for the elapsed time reset for its little trip computer and I come to learn that there is no elapsed trip time capability. The Mrs. said that it was no big deal and since it was her car I said ok, but the countdown clock had already started to tick

2. On the first night with it we realized that the ceiling console buttons for the garage door opener are not illuminated, and they do not even have dimples so they can be easily found. I thought that perhaps there was an electrical problem but the dealer said no, a lot of people complain about that. Tick-Toc

3. When you did have the trip computer displayed and you set the cruise control the trip computer display goes away but a tiny word “set” was now illuminated where the elapsed timeless trip computer was. Yes, you can bring back the trip computer by toggling a switch on the steering wheel but why should you have to do that. Tic Toc

4. If you want to find out what radio station you are listening to, or directly access a preset station, you need to wade 3 menus deep with the accursed mouse-like controller. The key here is that neither the radio station/satellite channel or song playing are displayed anywhere on the dashboard without going through menus. Tic Toc

5. The GPS gives poor directions, the worst of any GPS we ever had, including Garmin, Honda, Chrysler and TomTom. It will eventually get you where you want to go but many times not in the best way at all. The controller is also beneath contempt, nothing is as fast or easy as a touch screen, period. Tic Toc

6. If you want to adjust the heated and cooled front seats you need to slide the console cover back to reveal the controls for the heating/cooling of the front seats and you have to take you eyes completely off the road to do that. Tic Toc

7. The automatic heat/AC almost always overshoots, making you either to hot or too cold and then you start fiddling around with the temperature settings which can only be seen on the nav screen while adjustments are being made. The automatic heat/AC worked far better on our 87 Buick, or on any Chrysler product

8. Now comes the killer, the real deal breaker. When we first got the vehicle we noticed that while the engine usually ran very quietly there was a very loud un-Lexus like noise from somewhere in the exhaust system under the floorboard on the driver’s side when you accelerated quickly. This noise was also accompanied by a strong exhaust related vibration, again under the driver’s floorboard. You have to trust me on this, it was really unacceptable. I took it back to the dealer and they “loosened some bolts and repositioned the exhaust system” The net-net of this was that the noise and vibration when accelerating moderately briskly was now replaced by a constant annoying exhaust vibration at all speeds, from zero on up. I took the car back to the dealer again and they had me drive a brand new comparably equipped RX and, low and behold, it exhibited the same annoying exhaust vibration as mine did after it was “fixed”. At this point the dealership manager gave us $200 worth of Universal Studios credit and a $140 gift certificate to Del Frisco’s Steakhouse to make me feel better about the whole thing – very nice but now I knew the car’s days were numbered. You can also look up 2010 Lexus RX 350 exhaust vibration on the WEB and you’ll see it seems to be a known problem (you may even see my posting about it on one of the Lexus enthusiast sites).

You may ask, was there anything really good about the vehicle and the answers are:

1. Great paint and fit & finish

2. Great sounding radio (the 12 speaker extra cost one), once you get past not knowing what you are listening to

3. Great auto high beam swiveling headlights

4. Free car washes anytime at the dealer, along with free wraps and free drinks.

In the end I looked at what I was laying out every month for a vehicle that was just achingly disappointing and I said screw it. Off it went to a Chrysler dealership and we drove home in a 2011 Deep Cherry Red Town & Country minivan. While there are no free car washes or wraps at the Chrysler dealer I have not had to go back there yet except for an oil change. The Town and Country is also actually far more feature rich that the RX. While it has the same push button start and a driver’s seat that travels rearward to allow easy entry/exit, it will tell you your exact tire pressures instead of just a high or low indication and it will also has lights in the side view mirrors that come on if there is a car in your blind spot and, finally, it has a radar gizmo that alerts you to vehicles coming at you perpendicularly when you are backing out of a parking spot.

I know that you may read all of this and say, wow, Marty’s nuts but you have to trust me on this, the car is simply a beautifully crafted turkey that you would find increasingly disappointing and vexing over time. I knew the end was near when I absolutely preferred to drive my POS Nissan Rouge over the RX. My complaint about the exhaust vibration was also reinforced by my neighbor who was given one as a loaner while his Lexus was being serviced and he said I was right, he could not wait to give it back.

If you were to ask me my opinion, get a Murano and save ~$8K. Also, there is a new Infinity SUV coming out shortly, it may be worth the wait.

In closing, again, please, I'm not posting this to annoy the many, many people who love and enjoy their RXs but my hope is that perhaps someone from the Lexus mother ship may see this and start to think about what I've discussed. Also, based on what I now know, almost all of what I've griped about were not issues on the 2009 RX - go figure, they fixed what was not broken
Old 11-07-11, 03:16 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Marty, thanks for the detailed write up of your disappointments with the RX. Other than the vibration issue the other ones wouldn't be deal breakers for me but everyone is different. We have had our RX for exactly one year and I much prefer the mouse style control of the functions vs. a touch screen (have that on my IS350); once you get aclimated to it you can get to where you want very quickly. I would have escalated the vibration problem to Corporate (maybe you did) because what you experienced is certainly not normal from what everyone else is experiencing as far as vibration is concerned (there isn't any in my experience). And it just doesn't sound like your dealer was too interested in solving the issue. Anyway, hope all goes well with your new vehicle.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-07-11 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Our new RX350 is great but.................