RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Alarm Goes Off For No Reason

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 12:04 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

OP, did you have a visual confirmation that the alarm had gone off on your RX?
To me this sounds like a pure coincidence and your remote wasn't even in the range.
It is the unlock button that should(?) stop the alarm and the red button should set it on, not off.
Old 05-06-15, 07:22 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Is it possible that when you went to open the rear hatch you hit the "lock" button on the hatch rather than the open button? If you accidentally hit the lock button, the car would beep at you because it thinks you are trying to lock it while you have doors open.
Answer: no. I opened the lift gate vIa the push button on the gate. The doors were open. Key was in my pocket. Then I was holding it in an open palm. Activity ended by me pushing the open and lock buttons to stop the activity.

I carry my fob in my rear pocket along with a folded handkerchief. I could accept as a possible errant push of a button if I were seated; but being standing up, there is little that I can envision that could have pressed a button.

After pondering this for several days - I cannot vouch for what my wife's fob was experiencing in her purse - and that is the possibility that I can more easily swallow.
Old 05-07-15, 07:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Answer: no. I opened the lift gate vIa the push button on the gate.
Okay, it was just a thought. But just remember, there are two buttons on the lift gate - one to open, one to lock/unlock. I was just questioning if you hit the lock/unlock while intending to hit the open button. I've done it before and had the same results - with a door open, pushing the lock/unlock button on the hatch initiates that loud beep.
Old 05-07-15, 11:54 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I probably did the same multiple push of the open button (so I can pull up the gate instead of waiting for it to open electrically).

The most curious thing was the windows and sunroof opening without a finger on any button.
Old 03-30-20, 03:56 PM
HarleyLuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT!? Sorry,...

Originally Posted by ChitChat
So why do you think my alarm went off for no explainable reason today? My car is parked in front of my house and all of a sudden I hear an alarm going off. Now, I've never heard my own alarm so I wasn't even aware it was mine until it kept going and I realized it might be mine. So I went to look out the window and I couldn't decipher where the sound was coming from because there's a lot of cars around here (I just woke up and I wasn't dressed to go outside). So for the heck of it, I grabbed my fob and kept pressing buttons to see if it would go off. I was so flustered and nothing went off so I thought it wasn't mine. Then I held down the red button and it finally went off. Embarassing because all the neighbors were looking out their windows. LOL

Has this happened to anyone for no reason? Does it mean someone tried to open my door (which I doubt because it's broad daylight in a quiet neighborhood). What warnings should I look for on the dash when I go in there for the first time after shutting off the alarm?
...I can't hear your question because I'm currently TRAPPED IN MY OWN CAR WITH THE ALARM BLARING. I really am. OK, it stops after 60 seconds but restarts when I try to get out. True story.

*Trapped In My D**n Car Again...Too!* -Featuring 'The G#$@#!n Lexus Manual'(Volume I :WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF LEXUS) with My Knees in the supporting role.
Old 07-22-20, 03:55 PM
captnkirk
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2013 rx450h and the alarm goes off randomly when we lock with key fob so we have to lock all doors manually. Dealer wants $500 to diagnose and they said nothing comes up on their plug in computer, they had my wife in tears when she left. Any ideas what may cause this issue before i drive this thing in a lake?
Old 07-22-20, 04:03 PM
captnkirk
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation 2013 rx 450h alarm going off randomly

My wife took the rx in for oil change and she asked if they could figure out why the car alarm was going off randomly when locked with the key fob. After 1 hour they said they want $500 to diagnose because nothing is coming up on their computer. She asked if the alarm can be disabled so we can at least lock the doors with the key fob and she was told no, not without disconnecting the horn. Anyone have any ideas before I drive this thing in a lake? appreciate any help
Old 07-25-20, 09:48 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

So you are saying when you lock it manually with the door switches, the alarm does not go off? That tells me something is wrong with the key fob. maybe it's time to change the key fob battery that would be number one, but it could be the car battery as well as low voltage to the ECU the screwy things. Also check that the key fob is not somewhere where it gets its buttons pressed like in a purse or in a pocket with other keys etc. My spouse lock s the car in the garage all the time with her purse being set down in the house with multiple other things in the purse pushing on the key fob..
The following users liked this post:
Higgins (11-12-21)
Old 06-27-21, 08:26 AM
kingeikaiw
Driver School Candidate

Default Inside sensor sensing things

I have two Lexuses.
Both of their alarms went off randomly this year for different reasons.

Luckily, one of my friends told me there is an internal sensor so you don't fall asleep in the locked car, or leave a child or animal inside to cook.

I figured out one reason was my sun screen I put in the windscreen to block the sun when parked sometimes falls down. The movement sets off the alarm. Okay - no more sun screen!

My other Lexus' alarm went off last night and tonight. Very embarrassing as our neighbors are very close. I went out to examine and found a grasshopper flying around inside the car. Obviously the motion sensor picked that up! So - check for bugs in your car or just spray insecticide if you are desperate.

End
----------------------------

Originally Posted by ChitChat
So why do you think my alarm went off for no explainable reason today? My car is parked in front of my house and all of a sudden I hear an alarm going off. Now, I've never heard my own alarm so I wasn't even aware it was mine until it kept going and I realized it might be mine. So I went to look out the window and I couldn't decipher where the sound was coming from because there's a lot of cars around here (I just woke up and I wasn't dressed to go outside). So for the heck of it, I grabbed my fob and kept pressing buttons to see if it would go off. I was so flustered and nothing went off so I thought it wasn't mine. Then I held down the red button and it finally went off. Embarassing because all the neighbors were looking out their windows. LOL
Has this happened to anyone for no reason? Does it mean someone tried to open my door (which I doubt because it's broad daylight in a quiet neighborhood). What warnings should I look for on the dash when I go in there for the first time after shutting off the alarm?
Old 04-05-22, 05:05 PM
Cargal789
Driver School Candidate

Default Alarm

This happened to me and I thought I should report it in case it helps others. I drove my Lexus to the grocery and as I walked away after parking, the alarm went off. I turned the engine on and then off and it stopped. I got home okay but about 15 min later, it went off and then again about 6 more times before we solved the problem. My husband examined the remote and noticed one of the 3 clasps was not fully holding the battery in place. He had replaced the battery a couple days before and I had not driven it since. It was hard to see and he used a magnifying glass. It came that way from the factory, so others may have the same problem.
Old 06-20-22, 01:57 PM
Shadrach18
1st Gear

Default 2012 RX 450h - Car Alarm Keeps Going Off Randomly

I have a 2012 RX450h with a bizarre car alarm issue. On most days the alarm will randomly go off at least 1x, if not multiple times a day. It is extremely frustrating as I've taken the car into the Lexus dealership 3 times and they weren't able to help. They said the issue needs to be replicated in order to diagnose, but the alarm never went off in their possession. They said there's nothing else they can do without starting to tear the car apart and that would be very expensive. They've also lowered the sensitivity as much as they can.

This has been an on/off issue for several years now and I'm at my wit's end. It's a great car besides this issue, but I'm considering selling the car because I can't (and probably my neighbors, too) take it anymore.

Details to share
  • Alarm may go off anywhere: car parked inside the garage or outside, at home or other locations, when I am nearby the car or key is thousands of feet away (I've been told by others about the car going off when I'm not there).
  • 99% of time it's happened during day, not night
  • Seems to happen more frequently with warmer or really cold weather
  • 100% sure it's not animals or something else touching the car
  • I've changed key fob battery
  • Dealership said there's no way to turn off car alarm completely
Any ideas on what I could do? Would a non-dealership mechanic have more ways to inspect? Thank you.
Old 06-21-22, 04:54 AM
Lead Lap

Received 749 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadrach18
I have a 2012 RX450h with a bizarre car alarm issue. On most days the alarm will randomly go off at least 1x, if not multiple times a day. It is extremely frustrating as I've taken the car into the Lexus dealership 3 times and they weren't able to help. They said the issue needs to be replicated in order to diagnose, but the alarm never went off in their possession. They said there's nothing else they can do without starting to tear the car apart and that would be very expensive. They've also lowered the sensitivity as much as they can.

This has been an on/off issue for several years now and I'm at my wit's end. It's a great car besides this issue, but I'm considering selling the car because I can't (and probably my neighbors, too) take it anymore.

Details to share
  • Alarm may go off anywhere: car parked inside the garage or outside, at home or other locations, when I am nearby the car or key is thousands of feet away (I've been told by others about the car going off when I'm not there).
  • 99% of time it's happened during day, not night
  • Seems to happen more frequently with warmer or really cold weather
  • 100% sure it's not animals or something else touching the car
  • I've changed key fob battery
  • Dealership said there's no way to turn off car alarm completely
Any ideas on what I could do? Would a non-dealership mechanic have more ways to inspect? Thank you.
You might have a faulty ultrasonic sensor.

You can either remove it completely. Replace it. Or just lower the sensitivity of the sensor.

Straightforward to do.