RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear suspension squeek

Old 08-07-15, 11:23 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
In any case, in speaking to my dealer recently they mentioned Lexus had come out with improved design for new rear trailing arms to help eliminate any noises.
They popped them onto the vehicle recently along with new rear shocks.
Do you happen to have the number to the updated part? I compared the numbers before between the different models back when Sewell was still up but it all seemed to be the same part.
Old 08-15-15, 05:30 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update!

The dealer has identified the noise to the rear trailing arm bushing. They told me Lexus corporate is aware of the issue but for now it is a "normal" characteristic of the car on 2010-2013 RX350. Apparently they all squeak. I was told that changing the rear trailing arm will fix the problem, HOWEVER the squeaking will come back.

Lexus corporate may be working on how to fix the issue and address it at a later time. For now all they can do is grease and lube it at best.

I thought there was an update to this part.
Old 08-19-15, 11:49 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Mine actually squeaks when you get in and out of the rear seats now. It's getting pretty loud and annoying.

At the dealer the parts are around $600 and labor is around $1,100

Can anyone recommend a mechanic for this job in the So Cal Los Angeles area?
Old 08-20-15, 07:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

The cartalk guys web page has a good mechanic recommendation section. Replacing the trailing arm could be done by any competent mechanic. http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-20-15 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-23-15, 05:01 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

This is what mine sounds like now just barely pushing the car around with one hand and the other hand recording with my phone...
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Old 10-25-15, 09:16 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2nd gen RX330 2004 AWD that I bought used last year, now at 199k mi. The rear suspension squeaks pretty bad. The car would squeak if someone gets in the back on either side. Just had all 4 struts/mounts replaced with Monroe OE Spectrum and now it only squeaks when going over bumps. It doesn't squeak when someone gets in the back and its not as loud either but still very present. I suppose the new struts limited the movement in the back. I will try some inexpensive trailing arms from partsgeek.com for @ $24/each and labor at $80/hr here in Northern CA to see if that makes a difference. From reading this thread, this may only be a temporary fix or may not work.
Old 10-26-15, 05:28 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Has anyone with a 14 or 15 RX experience this sound?

The reason I ask because this past weekend, while driving with two passengers in the back seat I hit a dip in the road and I could swear I heard a rubbing type of noise coming from the left rear. Not a squeak, but a rubbing type noise almost as if the tires rubbed the fender or quarter panel.

Didn't think much of it but then heard it again after driving over some uneven roads, also thought I heard it when the left rear passenger got out of the RX.

Yesterday I was listening very carefully (without rear passengers) and no sound. I even tried to duplicate the sound by getting in and out of the rear seats and even over exaggerated bouncing on the rear seat and I didn't hear anything.

So this made me wonder if anyone, with any year RX has noticed if the sound is more pronounced with rear seat passengers, which I guess would make more sense?

Thanks..
Old 10-26-15, 08:44 AM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard the same rubbing sound before. It was after my 04 RX330 was in for service at Wheelworks to repair a slow leak in one of the tires. The car was up on the lift for over an hour, so all the weight of the wheels and suspension was hanging down. When I got it back, it made the rubbing sound and it was very pronounced, made sounds when turning a corner. After a week, when the suspension parts/bushings settled, the sound went away.
Old 10-05-16, 02:02 PM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wish I had found this thread before taking my vehicle in. I also experience the annoying squeaking in the rear right of the vehicle going over bumps. Took it into the dealership, they did some diagnosis. Tech said after adjusting the suspension, the noise was different so they said to replace the rear suspension to get rid of the noise. After spending $600 to replace the rear suspensions, I am then told that this is normal and happens on 4 other RXs..... This was a complete "wtf" moment. I am extremely disappointed in Lexus for this. Not sure what I can do right now, does anyone have any suggestions? I've talked to the dealership, they said the services manager will call me back. Nothing yet.. Maybe I'll drop by the dealership sometimes soon.

Was looking to get a CT for daily commutes but that's now off the table.
Old 10-06-16, 05:13 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Update: After two years with the rear creaking / squeaking noise on our RX F Sport it's finally fixed.

I had complained to my selling dealer several times over the past two years and each time they would tell me that they inspected the suspension and everything was fine.

Since I haven't been happy with the overall service I have been receiving from my selling dealer, I took the RX to another Lexus dealer, one I had purchased my two previous Lexus's from. I needed an oil change, state inspection and while I was there I mention the rear suspension noise.

After looking it over my SA told me that the rear trailing arms needed to be replaced because the bushings weren't seated properly. My SA also said it's a common problem

It's been a month and the noise is gone and my wife swears it rides a little smoother. I'm not sure if it rides smoother, but as long as my wife is happy then I'm happy.

It really bothers me that for almost two years I have been complaining to my selling dealer and they didn't find, or IMO couldn't be bothered looking for the problem. Then another dealer the first time, and within 20 mins of working on the RX finds the problem and fixes it. Guess which dealer I will be buying my next Lexus from..

I did make a post about the "fix" in another thread last month, but forgot about this one or I would have posted my update here last month when the RX was fixed.

Last edited by JT4; 10-06-16 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 04:02 PM
MarinRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Might be a little off base but tried something with my wife's car on the weekend.
Removed the jack & small parts from the styrofoam carrier under the rear cargo floor.
Sprayed the styrofoam down with a lubricant inside & out. Replaced the parts & went for a drive.
In our case, the steel jack vibrating against the styrofoam was creating quite a squeek.
Seems OK now but it's only been a few days.

Left a pair of cheap cloth gloves with the jack in case we really need to use it.

Yesss! I'm so glad I read this. I pulled out the spare tire as well as all of the plastic "boxes" from the trunk (including the one with the jack and tools). Everything else seemed fine so I popped the jack out and then the styrofoam "holder" and used some lithium grease on the bottom and sides of the styrofoam block wherever it looked like it touched the plastic "box". Popped everything back in and so far the squeaking seems to be gone! Will keep listening but drove over a few usual routes that would cause it with no sounds! Thank you!!
Old 02-18-19, 03:48 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Old topic but fits my problem. Warranties have long gone and I have had several noise free years with Rxs.

But I replaced rear shocks last week. Result much better ride and squeeking noise back there.
Shocks are Kyb gas shocks, decent quality I guess. I could say noise has come only from right side.
In this case I could rule out the interior parts but with the topic I do not do any sudden action for the noise.
Old 02-19-19, 02:00 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I changed out both rear trailing arms. The bushings were the issue but they don't simply swap out the bushings as it doesn't come as a separate part. It was a $1600 repair. (fixed under warranty after threatening, yelling and haggling)

It's been 18 months and the squeaking noise is back in the driver's side rear.
Old 02-21-19, 10:45 AM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I found a trailing arm bushing on Amazon, "Febest TAB-368", which costs $80. Who wants to try it?
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-21-19, 01:24 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

The problem is installing the bushing into the arm. You have to remove the old one which is glued/welded/molded into the arm. Then somehow attach the new one to the arm. This is very difficult and needs specialized equipment most of the time. That is why most places just replace the arm. It is much cheaper.

I see that aftermarket supplier Mevotech makes them as the 2014-2018 Toyota HIghlander now has the same rear suspension as the 2010-2015 RX. Saw them on eBay for about $82 each. Also at PartsGeek https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47433948492
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
rns (03-08-19), roy7777 (02-22-19)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear suspension squeek