RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear suspension squeek

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 03:08 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergts
Please give us an update after a few days.
Had the car out today. Substantial difference, much quieter over the same roads & potholes.
In my case the styrofoam & steel jack were rubbing against each other. The lubricant seems to have cured it. I used Rust-Check.
Old 06-02-15, 06:29 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '10 with 78k on it exhibits similar issue to those described here. Clearly I am out of the standard warranty, but do have an extended Lexus-backed warranty. I have a $100 or $200 deductible from what I can recall.

Is this something worth going through, through the warranty? I've gone to mylparts.com but can't figure out which parts I would need if I were to have the work down at an independent.
Old 06-02-15, 06:46 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

https://www.mylparts.com/parts/2010/...iagram=8914625

Believe you are looking for rear shocks ?
2WD listed here, only AWD units I can find quickly are for cars equipped with air suspension.
Get your VIN ready & send them a question about which P/Ns you need for yours.
You will need a RH & a LH shock.

Super easy DIY job if you are handy with basic tools.
Old 06-02-15, 07:11 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I did some searching for rear shocks and think that FWD and AWD may use the same rear shocks. http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-l...-absorber.html
Old 06-02-15, 09:56 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Someone also mentioned that the dealer swapped out their trailing arms with an updated 2011 part but I looked and the part numbers are also the same. And also a bit steep at $255 per arm. Do you think it's possible to just switch out the bushing? I've had the squeak for a long time now and considered it a lost cause, but if it's a cheap fix I might consider trying it but I can't find the part number for just the bushing.
Old 06-02-15, 11:44 AM
Clutchless

The bushing is probably molded into the trailing arm if it is not listed separately. I have seen design that on other Japanese vehicles. You could try Permatex brake caliper grease. It is a synthetic grease that looks like a green jell. You don't have to buy the big jar, you can get it in the little envelopes at Autozone in the Permatex section.

If the bushings were sold separately, they are a royal PITA to press out and press back in to place.

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-02-15 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 02:06 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

You're right. I got a message back from mylparts and they said that it is all one piece.

Is Permatex the same as antisqueal grease? The little packet I got from O'Reilly's was about the same color and texture. Didn't you swap out bushings of some sort?
Old 06-02-15, 04:12 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I feel I should updated this thread.

I have been complaining about suspension squeaks when going over a speed bump or exiting a dipped driveway since around 25K miles. When I first brought it up, they discovered the leaking strut and that was replaced. At 30K service, I complained it was still present and they replaced the trailing arm on the left. At 35K I complained again and they replaced the right trailing arm. Now at 40K miles, it is still there and getting worse. I should mention that each time something was replaced, the sound was gone and slowly reappears.
Old 06-02-15, 04:39 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Another source for a severe squeak was the latching mechanism on the hatch. Dealer tightened it last time in for service & the noise has disappeared. Lower latch exposed when hatch is open or upper portion inside the door..........I don't know as I didn't think to ask the question.

Ours may have been the exception as the hatch was replaced under warranty about a year ago.Components taken off the old one & installed on the new may not have been torqued correctly.
Old 06-03-15, 07:09 AM
Clutchless

The Chinaman - similar grease, you may as well try it since you have it. However some with petroleum may not be suitable for long term contact with rubber. However, it will probably rub or wear off quickly and have little effect.
That was in another thread about body roll improvement. I had tried various stiffer polyurethane front and rear sway bar bushings, the ones that mount to the body, not the end links. None I found would fit properly. They are easily replaced with removal of a bolt or 2.
Now I want to inspect and measure the 2016 sway bars to see if they are larger and if so, would the rear one fit our 2010-2015 models. The front one is too hard to replace, you must lift the motor.
Old 08-04-15, 12:22 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any updates? My car has 40K miles and is just 9 months out of warranty. It is making this squeaky noise when going over bumps and dips. You can even hear it when you are in the back seat getting in and out putting my toddler in the car seat.

The dealer already replaced both rear shocks and greased the rear trailing arm bushings. After they greased it the noise went away but is now back.

I have this noise documented many MANY times. However, being 8 months out of warranty is there anyway I can get Lexus corporate involved?

Any advice?
Old 08-04-15, 12:57 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus has been fair to some others with issues that continue past warranty, including myself -- but as you know, they are not obligated to do so -- IMHO that's what a warranty is all about. My suggestion is: It costs you nothing to ask. Be very polite and business-like. State the facts and ask for help since this has been an ongoing problem with what appear as temporary fixes. Provide your VIN so Lexus can look at the documented service record. You can call Lexus, email them, or even post in the Lexus-Customer-Service monitored forum here on CL. Personally, I'd go for one of the first two options in this case as its a little more personal, but it's completely your option.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-15, 02:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great suggestions, Bert. Since the problem has been fixed by the dealer before and is in their records, they may be willing to fix it again despite being out of warranty. Or at least reduce the cost of the repair. Good luck.
Old 08-05-15, 10:08 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I had my rear shocks replaced a couple weeks ago, which reduced the squeaks over bumps by about 75%. One shock was leaking badly, so just had both done. I don't think the shocks themselves are part of the squeaking, but new ones seem to mask the problem by doing a better job of limiting how much excessive movement there is in the rest of the suspension. Before changing, I could hear a lot of movement in the rear going over rough surfaces. The new shocks have dampened this out more (which is of course what they are supposed to do), less redundant movement, less squeaks. My gut feel is that replacing and greasing parts is a temporary solution only, but the only one it seems available.
Old 08-07-15, 11:00 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Wife's '11 RX350 used to have the squeaking noise from the rear going over large bumps....more so in cold weather though.
Back then , Lexus dealer lubricated the trailing arms and that quieted it down pretty much.

In any case, in speaking to my dealer recently they mentioned Lexus had come out with improved design for new rear trailing arms to help eliminate any noises.
They popped them onto the vehicle recently along with new rear shocks.

Car was coming up on end of warranty, so it cost me nada.

Now everything all quiet and very tight over the bumps.

Would have been an expensive job if I had to pay for it.

Quick Reply: rear suspension squeek