RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear suspension squeek

Old 09-24-12, 09:22 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have rear shocks that the dealer diagnosed as a dry inner seal. They would squeak whenever I hit the slightest bump. The dealer replaced it under warranty and the new set squeaked as well but after a month of daily driving, the squeak went away. I went on a ~250mi drive yesterday and didn't even get a peep out of it. Hopefully it's gone for good *knock on wood*
Old 11-17-12, 08:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Squeaks from the Suspension

2011 RX450h 14,xxx miles.

It started today for the first time but I noticed a squeak/chirping coming from behind me. It sounds like the suspension when I am going over bumps or rough roads or when the road wallows. When I first had my 10,000 oil change, I noticed the same problem when I got the car back and immediately went to see my SA. He said that since the car had been on a lift, the suspension just needed some time and sure enough after a few miles of driving the sound went away.

I wonder if something is loose though my car is very low mileage. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. I am going in for my 15K check up soon and would like to bring this up
Old 03-10-13, 10:50 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone have updates on the squeaking from rear suspension? We have a 2012 and it squeaks over certain kinds of bumps.
Old 03-11-13, 05:40 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had two 2010 Rx's both had the same issue in the back, both had the rear shocks, struts and trailing arm part of the back suspension replaced, on one of them the noise came back within 6 months. Got rid of both.

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Anyone have updates on the squeaking from rear suspension? We have a 2012 and it squeaks over certain kinds of bumps.
Old 03-11-13, 08:56 AM
mogy2010Rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously there is some sort of design flaw for this to have soooo many complaints. My 2010 had been in for my particular squeak/chirp noise at least 6 times. Each time I tried to tell them that the noise was isolated around the shock, but they wanted to 'find' it themselves. Since they only are with the car a short time and their ears are not tuned to the noise, they had trouble locating the noise. I even showed them this forums info. Eventually, as most people have stated here, it was determined that it was the shocks. I went through at least 3 sets before I got good ones. Hopefully the bad batch has been used up by now....but I would concentrate on the shock area to start with if I were you. Mine has been quiet, in the rear, at least so far. Now I am dealing with an elusive rattle in the glove box area!!!
Old 03-11-13, 11:37 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

My rear end would creak as I backed out of the driveway and this started two weeks ago. Took it in today to get a regular check up and SA came back and said they need to change out the two shock absorbers as they are leaking in the rear suspension. I don't know if y'all are experiencing something similar but they changed mine out under warranty.
Old 01-12-15, 06:32 PM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

My 2011 has had the Shocks replaced twice now for the creaking noise. They said they were leaking. The second time around they replaced the shocks and control arms. After a couple days I noticed the creaking came back on the passenger side rear. I have 49,000 miles now, so going back before warranty runs out.
Old 01-12-15, 08:30 PM
RXSF

ugh, funny you bring this up. I have had both trailing arms and struts replaced and I still hear the creaking noise when exiting driveways or going over speed bumps. I am out of warranty now but it seems like this problem was never resolved and I think I may have a case that this all occurred before the warranty ended
Old 01-13-15, 05:02 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might be a little off base but tried something with my wife's car on the weekend.
Removed the jack & small parts from the styrofoam carrier under the rear cargo floor.
Sprayed the styrofoam down with a lubricant inside & out. Replaced the parts & went for a drive.
In our case, the steel jack vibrating against the styrofoam was creating quite a squeek.
Seems OK now but it's only been a few days.

Left a pair of cheap cloth gloves with the jack in case we really need to use it.
Old 01-14-15, 11:39 AM
RXSF

well, the noise does sound like it can be coming from the inside. I will completely remove the Styrofoam tray and see if I notice a difference.
Old 01-19-15, 07:10 AM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Might be a little off base but tried something with my wife's car on the weekend.
Removed the jack & small parts from the styrofoam carrier under the rear cargo floor.
Sprayed the styrofoam down with a lubricant inside & out. Replaced the parts & went for a drive.
In our case, the steel jack vibrating against the styrofoam was creating quite a squeek.
Seems OK now but it's only been a few days.

Left a pair of cheap cloth gloves with the jack in case we really need to use it.
Please give us an update after a few days.
Old 01-19-15, 07:15 AM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
ugh, funny you bring this up. I have had both trailing arms and struts replaced and I still hear the creaking noise when exiting driveways or going over speed bumps. I am out of warranty now but it seems like this problem was never resolved and I think I may have a case that this all occurred before the warranty ended
Yes, I notice it during slow maneuvers where the suspension is slowly depressed like backing out of driveways, speed humps (not speed bumps), or making a left hand turn where the weight shifts. So upon more thinking, I don't think it is coming from anything in the trunk. I removed the tonneau cover a long time ago because it made so much noise.
Old 01-19-15, 03:44 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I may get out in it this week.
Usually drive my F150 & park it in front of the garage. She parks inside & it's just plain easier to take the truck.
Guarantee the gas light will be on when I do take it !
Old 01-19-15, 07:35 PM
RXSF

So I dont think it is the styrofoam jack holder. I took a look at it and its pretty secure with no room to rub against anything.
Old 01-22-15, 01:40 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
So I dont think it is the styrofoam jack holder. I took a look at it and its pretty secure with no room to rub against anything.
I had a rattle-squeak and found it to be two areas....I had a sunshade in the back and removed it. Most of it went away, then I noticed the center section on the back seats was not fully latched. That ended the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear suspension squeek