RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Serious design flaws with the ipod controls. (nav equipped)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 11:32 PM
stw2046
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious design flaws with the ipod controls. (nav equipped)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brothers. With all of you that has a Nav and an Ipod. How much pain do you guys feel from scrolling thru your songs using your cars' Audio controls. It's a total design flaw!!! Lexus will fix that if I can get enough people to call their customer satisfaction #. I am starting this so that we all can get what we paid for.
Old 05-06-10, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

from what i read you aren't the first one, a lot of people have complained and there are a few threads about that already. pretty much the case for all 2010 vehicles... seems like lexus didn't really do a very good job on the ipod integration at all. i find that kind of surprising, i would think ipod integration has been out for a while, vaistech units are working so well
Old 05-07-10, 02:12 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It works fine. I make sure my songs (about 1000) are well structured in iTunes filing them in individual playlists, and everything comes out perfect on the Navi screen using the remote. I don't know what more you could ask for. I read all the complaining in the other thread, but I'm certain they are doing something wrong. I suspect their songs, albums, artists, genres, and compilations are pooled in one contiguous playlist, and are not accurately identified in the Info tabs. The tabs on the car's display pick up every detail, so the user can navigate quickly to the selection desired - it's the best I've seen so far.

Design flaws? Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're definitely doing something wrong...
Old 05-07-10, 05:57 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
It works fine. I make sure my songs (about 1000) are well structured in iTunes filing them in individual playlists, and everything comes out perfect on the Navi screen using the remote. I don't know what more you could ask for. I read all the complaining in the other thread, but I'm certain they are doing something wrong. I suspect their songs, albums, artists, genres, and compilations are pooled in one contiguous playlist, and are not accurately identified in the Info tabs. The tabs on the car's display pick up every detail, so the user can navigate quickly to the selection desired - it's the best I've seen so far.

Design flaws? Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're definitely doing something wrong...
My problem maybe that I use an iPhone. The iPhone is not supported by Lexus, causing one of my well documented problems (occasional disconnections).

However for me and a few others on various Lexus forums, the scrolling issue is clearly a problem with either Lexus or Apple. I have my songs organized exactly as you explain. Scrolling does not work the way most of us would expect. As you scroll, if not done quickly, the top song on the displayed short list of songs will play. Scroll again and the new top song will be played. Most of us are used to the originally playing song continuing to play until a new song that I finally choose is selected. The current process is not intuitive and consumes time and my concentration as every song at the top of the list takes time to load and play, blanking or at least graying out the screen in the process.

I would be curious to know which firmware/software version you have in your car that you do not have, as some of us other Lexus owners have, this scrolling anomaly. The customer service representative I spoke with felt it was a firmware issue, not correctable with a software upgrade.

I can try to detail the process further I use to see if your scrolling technic is significantly different than mine and your technic makes you more successful achieving scrolling I believe to be more "natural" with MP3 players specifically the iPod/iPhone. Perhaps I can find the YouTube video someone posted to demonstrate the problem some of us are experiencing.

Thanks, I look forward to your assistance.
Old 05-07-10, 06:08 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Burnaby,

Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55uFgf0tEnM

Does yours scroll differently than this video shows? This person seems to have his/her playlists organized "properly", although we don't know the number of songs or playlists.

I would really like to know what makes or how you make yours different. It would be a big help to me.

Thanks again,
Old 05-07-10, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i talked to a master tech about that and he said iphone from what he has seen is a big no-no on the 2010 system. it just doesn't work that well at all. ipod is far better
Old 05-07-10, 12:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Which is exactly what I proposed in the other thread. My son works as a computer network & cell phone tech and he told me iPhones are not compatible with many audio systems through the USB connector due to Apple's highly restricted operating system leaving users "out in the cold". This is a documented fact that inhibits the iPhone's audio interface. Some iPhone users are reporting better results using Bluetooth. The RX's owner's manual only mentions the iPod by the way, not the iPhone - you're working outside of its design parameters when connecting an iPhone.

Buy a cheap iPod, and your headaches will go away.

DunWkg, my iPod doesn't do that at all, quite the contrary. The Youtube poster doesn't mention if he is using an iPod or and iPhone, which creates confusion. I strongly suspect he's using an iPhone.

This video discusses the integration using an iPod.

Last edited by Johnny; 05-07-10 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Duplication
Old 05-07-10, 09:03 PM
DunWkg
Racer

This video discusses the integration using an iPod.
The description of that video indicates it's an iPhone.
Quote:
"carandipod — April 19, 2009 — Demo of the factory-fitted iPod integration in a Lexus RX400 (model year 2010). In this case an iPhone 3G is used to demonstrate integration. More info at www.carandipod.com"

Thanks for your clarifications.
Old 05-07-10, 09:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

You're right, I just glanced at the first sentence. Well, that still leaves this issue in the "unpredictable" category, and since the manual never mentions any iPhone compatibility, then attempting to connect one is beyond the scope of the RX. Who knows what can affect this? The iPhone is a different animal than the iPod, much more complex, and one that when loaded with any myriad of Apps can affect its performance, and interaction with other devices. Keep it simple - go iPod...

Blaming or becoming frustrated with Lexus is somewhat unreasonable and futile when it is clear they obviously did not design the RX with the iPhone in mind.
Old 05-07-10, 09:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I know some carmakers require a two plug system, usb and aux jack together to connect apple products. I wonder if that makes a difference
Old 05-07-10, 10:30 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Blaming or becoming frustrated with Lexus is somewhat unreasonable and futile when it is clear they obviously did not design the RX with the iPhone in mind.
I just tried my iPad. Failure on both the Bluetooth and USB connections. And the manual doesn't address that.....

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 05-07-10, 10:41 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I give you credit for trying!
Old 05-07-10, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
I know some carmakers require a two plug system, usb and aux jack together to connect apple products. I wonder if that makes a difference
no, that shouldn't be a "requirement". with the usb plug, there is the audio already anyway. for example vaistech, there is only usb and no aux, and it plays off iphone perfectly
Old 05-08-10, 04:52 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
no, that shouldn't be a "requirement". with the usb plug, there is the audio already anyway. for example vaistech, there is only usb and no aux, and it plays off iphone perfectly
Whether your intension or not, you make a very good point. Vaistech has figured out the iPhone and Lexus has not. Although the motivation is different. Lexus is selling a car and not an MP3 player or adapter and their livelihood does not depend on an iPhone working. Vaistech well....does.

Point well taken, thanks.
Old 05-08-10, 06:56 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Burnaby,

I'm beginning to believe you have a "blessed" car and iPod combination and mine is "cursed".

I took an, I believe Lexus supported, iPod out to the car and plugged it in. At first it wasn't recognized and I restarted the car and it showed up. However, it scrolls exactly like the iPhone. Of the five songs in any scroll window, it plays the top one right away. Well maybe not right away, if you hit the scroll arrow right away. Which doesn't allow you to read the names of the five songs in the scroll window.

Cursed I'm telling ya, cursed....

Oh I forgot to mention the particular playlist only had 25 songs in it. Not too many is it?

Thanks again for your interest.

Last edited by DunWkg; 05-09-10 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Serious design flaws with the ipod controls. (nav equipped)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!