RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wind Noise and loud engine in slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 04:25 AM
pk4224
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise and loud engine in slow speed

This is for those who purchased new 2010 RX 350 AWD recently, I bought a new one last week here in VA. 2 things I noticed immediately are, loud wind noise from sun roof and engine grounding noise in lower gears and speed. Also, It has poor acceleration. Are these common problems? please share your experience if you have already visited the dealer for this. Thanks
Old 03-28-10, 05:27 AM
fastedit
Driver School Candidate

Picked up a new 2010 RX 350 AWD just yesterday (Saturday). Seems pretty quiet, no noticeable grinding noises or wind noise.

Replaced a 2006 RX400h which at the time was cheaper to lease than the non-hybrid version. New car seems more powerful, handles much better and is slightly larger.
Old 03-28-10, 06:02 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4224
This is for those who purchased new 2010 RX 350 AWD recently, I bought a new one last week here in VA. 2 things I noticed immediately are, loud wind noise from sun roof and engine grounding noise in lower gears and speed. Also, It has poor acceleration. Are these common problems? please share your experience if you have already visited the dealer for this. Thanks
Explain. Are you talking noise from the sunroof while it is open? Try slightly opening a rear window and see if that helps. A large gaping hole in the roof will cause a good bit of noise under the right conditions.
Old 03-28-10, 07:28 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 350 AWD and it does have a little engine/ exhaust noise but it is a pleasant sound not a bad one. My acceleration is excellent, this baby scoots.

Do you have the roof rails on? Maybe they are making some of the wind noise. I don't notice any wind noise.
Old 03-28-10, 07:50 AM
pk4224
Driver School Candidate

Nothing is open.. I keep checking everytime I sit that the sunroof, windows and doors are completely shut but the wind noise keep coming and gets louder as I speed up. I do have the roof rails and crossbars as well. I also thought it could be because of them but others who do not also get the wind noise. If cannot drive or enjoy this on a highway then this is worthless for me. I am very disappointed with this and never expected this from Lexus. Can someone help on how to resolve this if possible. As I read that others have also experienced this and dealers said its normal.
Old 03-28-10, 08:28 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Have you checked to see if you have acoustic side glass windows? Being that your RX is new it should have them. You can tell by looking at the leading edge of the window. You will actually see two pieces of glass sandwiched together.
You could try removing the crossbars to see if that is it. They come off very easy. Other than that I would take it back to the dealer. For what the RX cost you should be happy.
Old 03-28-10, 10:15 AM
pk4224
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. I will try as suggested..the more reviews I read the more I learn that many buyers have this problem and dealers could not do anything.

How about the LEDs for the buttons for homelink and lights, is there a way to lit those, there is nothing visible in the night as the buttons do not illuminate?
Old 03-28-10, 11:18 AM
oscqc
Rookie

No, as you will note from reading numerous other posts on this site, the lack of illumination for the Homelink buttons is a frequently noted design fault in the 2010 RX350 and RX 450h models. It is an annoying thing, but, as faullts go, it is fairly minor. Lets all hope that Lexus gets around to fixing it.
Old 03-28-10, 11:48 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I got an RX loaner two days ago, and I must say engine noise at low speed is much higher than my RX330. I think its the nature of the 3.5 engine. Anywhoo, while I didnt notice any wind noise from the sun roof, I noticed wind noise on the driver's side window. Bring it to the dealer and they will probably let you test drive another RX to see if its the same noise.
Old 03-28-10, 01:37 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is your state's return law on this? I know people from different states who have return their Lexus within thirty days without any penalty. If there is anything to your dealership they should do this no matter your state law if your vehicle has not been damaged or modified.
A loaner we had was certainly noisier than I could have lived with.
Old 03-28-10, 02:01 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't you test drive before you buy? If it's louder than what you test drive, then bring it back for a refund or at least fix it.
I don't have a problem with engine noise, but I do have a problem w/ my Bridgestone tires, too much road noise.
Old 03-28-10, 02:33 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Many of ppl here do talk this "noise" which seems a little louder than its predecessor while the car is in the low gears, especially when the engine isn't reaching its working temperature. The 3.5 engine and its chain are also the possible causes.

Last edited by rxets; 03-28-10 at 03:52 PM. Reason: wipe-out the info about the driver side window noise.
Old 03-28-10, 04:50 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

I wonder how common the wind noise/engine noise problem is since I have seen similar threads on other forums. This is my second RX, and I can say without reservation that I have not noticed any increased wind noise or engine noise at higher speeds, relative to my previous RX or any other cars I have owned. As a side note, I tend to be pretty sensitive to any kind of rattles or unfamiliar noises my car makes. Also, I have not heard a single rattle anywhere--from the driver's window/seat belt or from the cargo cover, etc (i.e. other noise complaints some owners have experienced)

I don't post this to rub it in or make light of the problems other RX owners are experiencing, but only to provide another data point that some 2010 models do not appear to have these problems. I recently purchased this vehicle a month ago (Canada build) so I don't know if the recent build has anything to do it vs. cars that were purchased near the release date.
Old 03-29-10, 05:39 AM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

I test drove a RX350 last week and I definitely noticed a slower speed, acceleration type
loud engine noise when I pulled away from a stop sign or signal light. I was not accelerating
hard when I heard this. I asked the salesman and he said it was from the more powerful engine,
which I am not so sure that is the reason, because it did not sound like an engine roar noise, but
more like a vibration type sound ... In my test drive, I would rate the engine noise as one of the
things that bothered me the most about the car. It is not a big deal, but noticeable for sure.
Old 03-29-10, 07:47 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with an earlier post that this is partially due to the chain driven, not belt, cams. Also, in all the car magazine reviews they state that Lexus is using different manifolds on this generation. They contribute the noise to those manifolds. For what it's worth....

Quick Reply: Wind Noise and loud engine in slow speed