RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Did you compare the RX350 to the 2010 MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 05:46 AM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you compare the RX350 to the 2010 MDX?

How many who purchased the 2010 RX350 compared it with the 2010 MDX?
I have owned 2 MDXs and before I purchase another one, feel I should
checkout 2010 RX350. Lexus made just enough subtle changes to the 2010
exterior for me to be interested in it this year. I am ready to purchase. Couple
things I like about the RX is that is is a little smaller and I do like the better
mpg rating of the RX. I have never used the 3rd seat in either my current or
previous MDX, so that is not a decisive factor.

Thanks.. VTHiker
Old 03-26-10, 05:49 AM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

I drove the RX350 yesterday. I have read on here about engine noise when the car is
first started, but I sensed a different engine noise and I am wondering if it is normal.
After a stop sign or a signal light, when I would pull away, not really accelerating hard,
the engine seemed to be loud. I don't mind the sound of the engine, but to my ears, it
was not a pleasant engine tone. Is anyone else experiencing this type of noise?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-10, 05:51 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually, when she was deciding my mother looked at the FX35, Q5 and X5 but never the MDX. I checked it out for her and found it pretty disappointing to be honest, mostly because I thought the build quality was poor and interior design unimpressive. Having said that, the MDX is really the main competitor for the RX so it's definately appropriate to compare the two.

BTW, the 2010 RX isn't subtle changes, it's a whole new generation (3rd) of the RX.
Old 03-26-10, 08:42 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We looked at it because my wife had a first-generation MDX for several years and enjoyed it. The local Acura dealer had a 2009 MDX pretty much loaded with only 4.5K miles on it (service loaner) that they were selling for ~$40K. Honestly I think we might have pulled the trigger on it if the Acura dealers hadn't been such pushy jacka**es. Two days later we found the 2010 RX350 AWD with only 1.4K miles on it at the Infiniti dealership and had an incredibly pleasant sales experience, so we bought it.

The RX is definitely a higher quality product overall in terms of materials, fit-and-finish, etc. The MDX had third row seating and a few gadgets that the Lexus doesn't have (at least the way ours is equipped), but I'm glad we ended up with the RX.
Old 03-26-10, 10:06 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

We had the 2004 MDX and most recently an Audi Q7. We did shop the new MDX and bought the RX -350. I agree with SCWells72 that the fit and finish on the Lexus were a much higher grade. The big thing that my wife found was that the Lexus drives more like a car than the Acura and Audi. I have driven the newer MDXs a couple of times and I really couldn't find the 300 horsepower that engine is rated at. It didn't feel more powerful than the Lexus.
Old 03-26-10, 01:09 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I looked at them all before buying the RX-450h. I have to admit that I was really impressed with the new Cadillac SRX. If I had not decided on getting a hybrid I would have gotten the SRX.

That being said, we all have different tastes, likes, and dislikes. In the end you need to get what works for you.
Old 03-26-10, 04:34 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I looked at them all before buying the RX-450h. I have to admit that I was really impressed with the new Cadillac SRX. If I had not decided on getting a hybrid I would have gotten the SRX.

That being said, we all have different tastes, likes, and dislikes. In the end you need to get what works for you.
We liked the SRX but didn't like the base engine /transmission combo. We bought the Lexus before our dealer here got in the SRX with the turbo.
Old 03-26-10, 04:39 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VTHiker
I drove the RX350 yesterday. I have read on here about engine noise when the car is
first started, but I sensed a different engine noise and I am wondering if it is normal.
After a stop sign or a signal light, when I would pull away, not really accelerating hard,
the engine seemed to be loud. I don't mind the sound of the engine, but to my ears, it
was not a pleasant engine tone. Is anyone else experiencing this type of noise?

Thanks.
I agree with other's that the RX fit and finish is better than the Acura. As loud as the RX is the Acura seems louder to me.
When we test drove the RX the sales person and I both noticed the acceleration noise, and it was demonstrated not every RX had this same noise. We were lucky that the one we order seems to be a little quieter. I still don't think the RX is as quiet as it should be.
Old 03-26-10, 09:27 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

yup, me and my wife compared the rx and mdx last month. rx won mainly on the price difference. her dad has on 05 mdx so we were leaning towards the mdx with advance, entertainment, and tech package but it was costing nearly $51k full loaded compared to the rx which we picked up for $45k full loaded.
Old 03-28-10, 11:00 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course we looked at the MDX. I think most people do, as they're head-to-head competitors.

We found a few issues - the fit and finish was not up to snuff on the MDX. I hated the enclosed and claustrophobic feel I got from the cockpit design of the front seats. The ride was harsher, IMO. Didn't like the tranny shift points. Leg room was better in the RX350. Liked the styling better on the RX.

Scroll through some earlier threads from April-June 2009, when the new RX350 came out. You'll find lots of comparison threads.

All in all, no regrets.

Sandi
Old 03-29-10, 05:27 AM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your replies. I am really pulled towards the RX. The RX I want is on the lot.
I will have to wait about 4 weeks for the MDX. I definitely do like the smaller size of the RX.
Nothing major, but a few inches in length and width do make a difference to me. I do like
the ****-pit feel of the MDX. One of the stronger hold backs on the RX is the Lexus dealer
is over 130 miles away and the Acura dealer is only 30 miles away. I would like to think I would not
have any warranty problems that would get me back to the RX dealer frequently,
but the distance is a major factor in my selection. RX is $1,650 more than the MDX, but
the Lexus dealer will match the MDX trade price...
Old 04-02-10, 03:57 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
We had the 2004 MDX and most recently an Audi Q7. We did shop the new MDX and bought the RX -350. I agree with SCWells72 that the fit and finish on the Lexus were a much higher grade. The big thing that my wife found was that the Lexus drives more like a car than the Acura and Audi. I have driven the newer MDXs a couple of times and I really couldn't find the 300 horsepower that engine is rated at. It didn't feel more powerful than the Lexus.

My family did the Q7>RX350 and I miss the handling of the Q7
Old 04-03-10, 12:42 AM
stw2046
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by VTHiker
How many who purchased the 2010 RX350 compared it with the 2010 MDX?
I have owned 2 MDXs and before I purchase another one, feel I should
checkout 2010 RX350. Lexus made just enough subtle changes to the 2010
exterior for me to be interested in it this year. I am ready to purchase. Couple
things I like about the RX is that is is a little smaller and I do like the better
mpg rating of the RX. I have never used the 3rd seat in either my current or
previous MDX, so that is not a decisive factor.

Thanks.. VTHiker
I'd actually pked up mine yeaterday...I too had tested the MDX. I can tell u as of now that the RX feels more of a upscale and substantial car, both interior and ride quality. I guess thats wut keeps a bunch of ppl loyal including myself. Ur rite! The MPG on the Lexus is pretty good for the size. City stays the same FWD/AWD, since its a part time system. I've had Audis, Bimmers b4. But if u appreciate refinement and service. U will be hooked. At least as of rite now, that's how I figured.
Old 04-03-10, 11:00 AM
smsprague
Driver School Candidate

Bought an 09 MDX (for my wife) in December. We had it narrowed down to the Lexus RX or the Aucura MDX. Looked at the Audi Q5/Q7 - afraid of reliability; BMW X5 - did not like the ride; Cadillac SRX seemed to slow and small. My wife choose the MDX over the Lexus RX for the following reasons:

1. 3rd row seat
2. More room behind 2nd seat
3. More room for passengers in 2nd seat
4. Rear AC (I live in AZ)
5. Got a good deal on an 09 - end of model year

What She liked about the Lexus RX over the MDX:

1. More Luxurious interior
2. Better Gas Milage
3. Looks better (not to sure I agree)
4. Keyless ignition
5. IPod interface

As a bonus, the MDX has a great stereo in the Tech Package, comparable to the Mark Levinson without all the extra cost. In the end we liked both SUVs and it was a difficult choice. MDX won because of size and cost at the time.