RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Facing Infant Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 02:02 PM
kooser
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Facing Infant Seat

Can anyone who knows for certain comment on whether or not a rear facing infant seat can be safely installed in the MIDDLE of the rear seat bench, or does a rear facing infant seat have to fit on either of the two side seats of the rear bench?

We were told that a front facing seat can go in the middle but a rear facing seat must be on either side.

Thank you
Old 02-21-10, 03:21 PM
euroja153
Driver

Originally Posted by kooser
Can anyone who knows for certain comment on whether or not a rear facing infant seat can be safely installed in the MIDDLE of the rear seat bench, or does a rear facing infant seat have to fit on either of the two side seats of the rear bench?

We were told that a front facing seat can go in the middle but a rear facing seat must be on either side.

Thank you
I am not sure about the US car, but all Canadian cars have hooks between the seat cushion and the back rest of the seat. These hooks are to be used for the rear facing infant seat and are only on the side seats at the rear.
Old 02-21-10, 09:24 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever told you that is completely full of steaming poo.

We have a 15 week old... infants should be in the middle because it's the safest place in the car. Chicco KeyFit is the safest seat on the market. Works just fine, you secure the base with the middle seatbelt. Only thing you need to do is twist the seat belt receiver a couple times to drop it down a bit so it's closer to the seat. Makes it easier to tighten.

Larger cars/SUVs typically have LATCH in the middle. RX isn't a large car/SUV.
Old 02-23-10, 09:52 AM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

For the rear facing seat, you can use the 2 inner latches from the passenger seats and tighten it the same as if it were on one side of the car. fits nice in the center and you can have adults on both sides w/o a problem
Old 02-23-10, 01:02 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Thanks for posting this Kooser..

And thanks for the reply's guys. We have a baby on the way (May 1st) and just got a Chicco Keyfit 30 and were told that so long as the car seat is on at least 80% of the middle seat you are ok and it is the safest place for the seat.

Has anyone else tried using the latch from the others seats while still placing the car seat in the middle? Does this not obstruct the other seat belts?

Thanks

--Nate
Old 02-23-10, 05:27 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tex Lex
Thanks for posting this Kooser..

And thanks for the reply's guys. We have a baby on the way (May 1st) and just got a Chicco Keyfit 30 and were told that so long as the car seat is on at least 80% of the middle seat you are ok and it is the safest place for the seat.

Has anyone else tried using the latch from the others seats while still placing the car seat in the middle? Does this not obstruct the other seat belts?

Thanks

--Nate
Dunno... 15 week old... seatbelt is designed to hold an adult safe so a car seat and baby should be an non-issue. Seatbelt was as easy or easier than latch and latch isn't any safer than a seatbelt. Just read the instructions or watch the video on www.chiccousa.com

Congrats on the new addition.

BTW don't get the Chicco stroller. My recommendation is to buy a BOB Revolution stroller with the 16" rear wheels (amazon), get the infant seat adapter and take off the accessory bar (says it isn't compatible with the KeyFit but it really is... works great) and get the handlebar console. Soooooooooo much better than the Chicco stroller.

Last edited by tazdevl; 02-23-10 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 07:50 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks tazdevl

We actually got the chicco travel system as an early registry gift this week, but will have a look at the BOB. One of the stores in Houston actually let us take the car seats to the RX (& GL) to test them out. We were looking at the Britax Chap, but it was HUGE! Stroller was bulky too. Chicco seems to be the most user friendly and safe.

Thanks again!

--Nate
Old 02-23-10, 09:27 PM
kooser
Rookie

Thank you all,
We got the Maxi Cosi Mico and this is the first car seat we have had. We brought it into the dealer because they have a "certified" installer. Hmm interesting. He must have installed it on the side not knowing that we wanted it in the middle (even after writing a note to this effect) and when we picked the car up we noticed that it was on the side and asked about the middle position he had left for the day and they fabricated the car seats required position.

After removing the seat, examining the base, and watching the installation video of the Chico, it is unbelievably easy and I am not sure why there is even a need for a certified installer???

If you have considerable strength to real REALLY pull the latch belt mega secure, then anyone with half a brain can do it in like 10 seconds.

I STRONGLY suggest that those of you that have a car seat purchase a car seat protector like the Prince Lionheart 2 stage seat saver, or any equivalent. With such a secure fit of the car seat, it will damage the leather over time and leave permanent indentations.

The middle works out perfectly fine without compromising the side seats and adults of normal girth to fit flanking a child on the rear bench.
Old 02-25-10, 01:46 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kooser
After removing the seat, examining the base, and watching the installation video of the Chico, it is unbelievably easy and I am not sure why there is even a need for a certified installer???
Reason being 90% of car seats are installed incorrectly. Make sure the seat is level by looking at the levels. The test with the chicco is grab the back of the base where it rests against the rear seat back and pull it side to side. If the base moves more than 1", you need to tighten the belt.

Best way to tighten the belt is to kneel on the seat base and tighten by pulling the slack through the seatbelt lock on the base (orange clip you slide the seatbelt through). Don't pull it out of that to tighten.

Highly recommend you install it the way you think it should be, go to a local fire or police station, and get one of their free installers to check it. Never assume when the health of your child is involved.
Old 02-26-10, 11:07 AM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

We have a Britax marathon in the middle, rear facing, fits fine. As others have mentioned use a leather seat protector (we got thew one from babies r us) and the 2 inner UAS (universal anchor system) loops. Make sure the level is good as I needed to add a piece of 'foam swimming noodle' to bring the seat to correct level. The RX has a somewhat reclined rear bench and the angle may tilt the chair out of mfg specs.
Old 02-27-10, 03:10 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dr_p
We have a Britax marathon in the middle, rear facing, fits fine. As others have mentioned use a leather seat protector (we got thew one from babies r us) and the 2 inner UAS (universal anchor system) loops. Make sure the level is good as I needed to add a piece of 'foam swimming noodle' to bring the seat to correct level. The RX has a somewhat reclined rear bench and the angle may tilt the chair out of mfg specs.
Benefit of the Chicco is an adjustable foot in the base that allows you to level it.
Old 02-27-10, 03:11 PM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I understand the seat should not be in the middle seat using the UAS (or LATCH) loops of the side seats. If you have it in the middle seat I think you are supposed to use the seatbelt for proper installation.

OP, I'm not an expert so perhaps you should post your query at the car-seat.org forums.
Old 02-27-10, 08:20 PM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

tazdevl- I cannot comment on the chicco, however, britax is one of the few companies to actually crash test their car seats. Aemgee- almost every website will tell you that the center position is the safest, with UAS however, you may limit outside seats' seatbelt use. On the rx it hasnt been a problem, but it did block the other seatbelts in my volkswagen

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/english/rd_safe...on/stages.html
Old 02-27-10, 11:02 PM
AEmgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aemgee- almost every website will tell you that the center position is the safest, with UAS however, you may limit outside seats' seatbelt use. On the rx it hasnt been a problem, but it did block the other seatbelts in my volkswagen

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/english/rd_safe...on/stages.html
The center position may indeed be the safest but the center seat in the RX does not have dedicated UAS/LATCH. What you have done with your Britax is called "UAS/LATCH borrowing", which is not approved by Toyota/Lexus. Therefore, I believe the correct installation of a Britax car seat in the middle seat according to Britax and Lexus is to use the seatbelt and not the UAS/LATCH loops which were designed for use in the adjacent seats.

Last edited by AEmgee; 02-27-10 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-28-10, 05:32 AM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

St. John's ambulance installers / inspectors told us "UAS borrowing" was fine as long as there is only one attachment (ie you dont have three car seats in the back) per anchor, and the center position is definately the safest. I had to go with my gut on this as Toyota also does not recommend using aftermarket wheels and tires, as they have not been matched specifically by their engineers (eyes rolling). Ultimately I am going to do what is safest for my son, and given that it is a grey area with respect to which one is safer (no actual data) but we do know most injuries come from side impacts, when installed with the UAS it was much more 'solid' and had less play, I know it's n=1 and highly subjective but the UAS passed the 'wiggle' test alot better in my opinion for the center seat option.

Last edited by dr_p; 02-28-10 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Facing Infant Seat