RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

want a k&n air filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 11:31 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default want a k&n air filter ?

take 15secs to tell k&n

http://www.knfilters.com/products_ne...=RX350&en=3.5L
Old 02-21-10, 06:10 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did it, done it. Thanks for the link I checked into getting a k&n when I first got my RX. Was disappointed they did not have one.Let's see how long it takes them.
Old 02-21-10, 08:32 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX is no performance vehicle, The car probably already gets enough air already And K&N's let in 45 times more dirt into the engine then a normal paper filter, I will personally pass on this. no point?

Just my $0.02
Old 02-22-10, 05:06 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
The RX is no performance vehicle, The car probably already gets enough air already And K&N's let in 45 times more dirt into the engine then a normal paper filter, I will personally pass on this. no point?

Just my $0.02
i don't believe anyone on the rx forum would be purchasing a k&n for performance

they're more likely after a lifetime filter & potential improved fuel economy

"45 times more dirt" is quite a statement, do you have supporting evidence

i couldn't imagine manufacturers not voiding warranties if they discovered you were allowing 45 times more dirt in to your engine

i'm not recommending anyone purchase a k&n
Old 02-22-10, 05:39 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The way it works could be an issue on ours

Originally Posted by jskennedy
I did purchase a K&N air filter for my 03 RX300. I put it in at 15,000 miles. At about 42,000 the engine started acting funny at idle, acting like it was starving then revving up to over 2000rpm and back down. I took it in and they plugged in the diagnostic gizmo while in the service drive. The 1st thing out of the tech's mouth was the question 'Do you have one of the K&N filters'? We took it out and replaced with the Lexus paper filter and it ran fine until I sold it w/63,000 miles.

Turns out the filter does work well trapping dirt and the more it traps the better it works but it does it with a fine oil film in the element. Some of that film by nature sucks through to the sensor that controls mixture etc. It was screwing it up according to the tech. I was told that in time it may have messed with the power-train warranty. K&N's claim that it improves airflow and traps more dirt is probably true. But my feeling now is if that type of filter were better, than Lexus would make it OEM.
Old 02-22-10, 02:23 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I did purchase a K&N air filter for my 03 RX300. I put it in at 15,000 miles. At about 42,000 the engine started acting funny at idle, acting like it was starving then revving up to over 2000rpm and back down. I took it in and they plugged in the diagnostic gizmo while in the service drive. The 1st thing out of the tech's mouth was the question 'Do you have one of the K&N filters'? We took it out and replaced with the Lexus paper filter and it ran fine until I sold it w/63,000 miles.

Turns out the filter does work well trapping dirt and the more it traps the better it works but it does it with a fine oil film in the element. Some of that film by nature sucks through to the sensor that controls mixture etc. It was screwing it up according to the tech. I was told that in time it may have messed with the power-train warranty. K&N's claim that it improves airflow and traps more dirt is probably true. But my feeling now is if that type of filter were better, than Lexus would make it OE
i read about MAF damage claims due to over oiled k&n filters

i've run k&n in every vehicle i've owned since 1990 w/ no sensor damage

i believe if k&n's actually damages the sensors, we'd be reading about voided warranties, & not sensor damage claims

i don't know for a fact that k&n is better

but i don't think manufacturers will always use what's better

tuned long tube headers have been tested countless times to show they provide more hp/tq/mpg than cast exhaust manifolds, but they're not oem items due to cost

i realize they cost a bit more than an air filter

but why not use triple-edge wipers instead of the basics or rainx washer fluid
Old 02-22-10, 03:34 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

i read about MAF damage claims due to over oiled k&n filters

i've run k&n in every vehicle i've owned since 1990 w/ no sensor damage

i believe if k&n's actually damages the sensors, we'd be reading about voided warranties, & not sensor damage claims

i don't know for a fact that k&n is better

but i don't think manufacturers will always use what's better

tuned long tube headers have been tested countless times to show they provide more hp/tq/mpg than cast exhaust manifolds, but they're not oem items due to cost

i realize they cost a bit more than an air filter

but why not use triple-edge wipers instead of the basics or rainx washer fluid
I can't speak to your wipers or headers, haven't tried them. It's just my experience the one time I tried K&N.
Old 02-22-10, 05:20 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I can't speak to your wipers or headers, haven't tried them. It's just my experience the one time I tried K&N.
i don't have aftermarket headers or wipers

i do use rainx & love the stuff, wipers are distracting/annoying to me
Old 02-22-10, 06:36 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the after market world for Mustang GT performance, K&N filters are used by a lot of folks. Including me when I had a 2002 GT vert; but not in my 2005 GT vert...I learned the hard way.

Straight off the shelf, there is not a problem with the oil leaking past the filter element into the vehicle's mass air sensor. But a major feature of the K&N is that you re-use the element by applying a K&N cleaner to get the crud off, drying it, then applying a K&N "re-oiler" solution. If I recall, you're then supposed to wait a while and let it dry out before reinstalling it.

So of course that procedure is perfect for too much oil, not enough drying time, and major problems when even a small drop of oil gets sucked-out by the incoming airstream and then lands on the mass air sensor. So while saving $30-50 bucks for replacing a large performance paper filter is appealing...replacing an expensive sensor on an emergency basis is somewhat less appealing.
Old 03-01-10, 08:13 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsslaporte

Just my $0.02
i don't believe anyone on the rx forum would be purchasing a k&n for performance

they're more likely after a lifetime filter & potential improved fuel economy

"45 times more dirt" is quite a statement, do you have supporting evidence

i couldn't imagine manufacturers not voiding warranties if they discovered you were allowing 45 times more dirt in to your engine

i'm not recommending anyone purchase a k&n
Right forgot about the cleanability/reusablility portion

But they still let in more dirt over a oem paper filter

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 03-02-10, 02:28 PM
kooser
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I don't I submitted the info to K&N for other's sake
Old 01-23-12, 05:18 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 RX350 and cant figure out where the ENGINE AIR FILTER is located. i used to replace it myself in my 2002 RX300 and want to do the same with this one,but i dont know how to access it. Although the owners manual mentions one it doesnt talk about how to locate and replace it like it does for most other do it yourself maintenance. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks.
Old 01-23-12, 06:53 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the plastic engine shroud on the drivers side and it is right there, big black box with 2 metal clips, can't miss it.
Old 01-23-12, 01:47 PM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Default engine air filter

thanks for the feedback on how to find the air filter!!
Old 01-23-12, 02:03 PM
tnoulm
Driver School Candidate

Default RAIN-X experience

i do use rainx & love the stuff, wipers are distracting/annoying to me
I've never tried RAIN-X myself and never heard that any of my friends did, but I'm intrigued that you're happy with the product. How often do you have to reapply it? Do you treat only the windshield glass or the entire set of glasses and windows?

Quick Reply: want a k&n air filter ?