RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Backup sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 07:55 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup sensor problem

Hey guys,

This past Sunday my family got a 2010 RX350, any how its great except the back up sensors dont seem to be working.

I have gone into the settings make sure the vol is on, its set to 5, and I changed the range twice. the short and furthest setting. I had put the car into reverse and walked behind it, And it did not beeb at all. As well I reversed into some bushes which our old car Audi Q7 would beeb. our old car also beebs if someone was behind the car, so I assume it works the same way in the RX.

Is there some ON/OFF button like there is in the LS430?

What am I missing here, or is it defective?

Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 08:43 PM
np0531
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
Hey guys,

This past Sunday my family got a 2010 RX350, any how its great except the back up sensors dont seem to be working.

I have gone into the settings make sure the vol is on, its set to 5, and I changed the range twice. the short and furthest setting. I had put the car into reverse and walked behind it, And it did not beeb at all. As well I reversed into some bushes which our old car Audi Q7 would beeb. our old car also beebs if someone was behind the car, so I assume it works the same way in the RX.

Is there some ON/OFF button like there is in the LS430?

What am I missing here, or is it defective?

Thanks
The On/Off switch is controlled by the switch on the steering wheel. Press the button on the right side that looks like a bunch of folders, toggle up or down to the Parking menu and make sure its on.

If it is on you should see a P icon with a parking cone on your instrument cluster on the bottom right hand side.

This is the same menu where you can turn off ASL and the ECO indicator.
Old 02-17-10, 09:02 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by np0531
The On/Off switch is controlled by the switch on the steering wheel. Press the button on the right side that looks like a bunch of folders, toggle up or down to the Parking menu and make sure its on.

If it is on you should see a P icon with a parking cone on your instrument cluster on the bottom right hand side.

This is the same menu where you can turn off ASL and the ECO indicator.
ASL, is like the Auto sound level when going faster?

and ECO isnt that a hybrid thing?

. Thanks Ill go check that out right now!

Last edited by tsslaporte; 02-17-10 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 09:42 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Do you mean AFS?

ECO mode I turned it on, not really sure if its on, when I swtich through the current mpg thing it says off.

And parking sensors work now

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-10, 03:49 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you mean AFS?

ECO mode I turned it on, not really sure if its on, when I swtich through the current mpg thing it says off.

Thanks again.
Your new car has a lot of terrific features. That's why the owners manuals are so thick. To get the most out of it, I'd suggest you spend an evening in a quite chair with that book and a cup of coffee .

There's more info there than you'll ever catch onto just browsing here. But if you can't figure something out or just want a diverse opinion, I'm sure we can come up with a few .
Old 02-18-10, 08:51 PM
Saurabh
Rookie

Which package does the backup sensors come with? I am not sure if I have them in my car, I have a RX450h. I know I have a back up camera, but not sure if I have the sensors.
Old 02-18-10, 09:28 PM
oscqc
Rookie

The easiest thing to do is to check the front and rear bumpers on your vehicle. If you see a round rubber thing near each of the four corners that is set into the bumpers and is about the size of a quarter, those are the sensors. There is also a larger one in the centre of the back bumper. In the front, there may also be somewhat larger rectangular metal covers that are the headlight washers, if so equipped. Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-10, 04:23 AM
angelina10
Driver School Candidate

Maybe some of the sensors are defective or with some dirty dot in the surface, you may check to see whether they are dirty or broken. If there is one pc of the sensor which is broken may lead to the failure to work, my backup sensor ever had this kind of problem, and i checked one of the sensors was defective, then I bought a new one in ebay. Hope it would be helpful for you, if not ask your dealer for assistance.

Last edited by angelina10; 09-28-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 10:32 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

^ to the above posters

Do you mean AFS?

Thanks again.

It was just switched off,np0531 post (#2) he explained how to turn it on,and all is well.
Old 10-04-10, 10:35 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Saurabh
Which package does the backup sensors come with? I am not sure if I have them in my car, I have a RX450h. I know I have a back up camera, but not sure if I have the sensors.
just check your bumper like someone else said. they arent part of a package, but instead of a stand alone option. Lexus calls it intuitive parking assist.

Old 10-04-10, 02:33 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Your new car has a lot of terrific features. That's why the owners manuals are so thick. To get the most out of it, I'd suggest you spend an evening in a quite chair with that book and a cup of coffee .

There's more info there than you'll ever catch onto just browsing here. But if you can't figure something out or just want a diverse opinion, I'm sure we can come up with a few .
Yep. There really is A LOT of info in those owners manuals. Of course 1/3 of it are warnings. I always joke around with customers about you know it's bad when you have 5 lbs of books to tell you how to operate your car.