RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stuck Accelerator Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 04:57 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
You really need to play with the manual mode shifter. You can engine brake with much better control of the car, changing between 3 and 2 gears. In snow driving, I think its a must.
What I really like is when you switch to manual mode it drops to 4th and the car really flies when you step on it in 4th!
Old 02-04-10, 01:46 AM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are lucky that no one has had this problem with the 10RX (as far as I can find) but I am getting a bit concerned about all of this. I do experience a slight acceleration for a split second when I set the speed for the cruise control (not adjust the speed). I never had this with any of my prior cars. Has anyone experienced this? Now in Japan, there is a recall on the Prius braking system, something to do with the ABS clashing with the hybrid technology
Old 02-04-10, 05:50 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
NO lexus models are affected by the recall.

This is because they are japanese made and the accelerator pedal is supplied by Denso instead of CTS. The RX even though is built outside of Japan, still uses Denso pedals. We are just discussion a BIG if.

no recalls, but didn't this whole fiasco begin w/ a cop in CA killing 4 people in a lexus loaner accident
Old 02-04-10, 06:11 AM
np0531
Rookie

My Lexus SA checked my floor mats during my last maintenance to make sure that the rubber floor mats were not directly installed over the regular stock carpet mats. He said that if the mats were too high they might cause the gas pedal to get stuck.

I actually had an incident when I first got my RX and I kinda floored the gas pedal cause I was upset...(I live in Miami, so I have road rage issues)...but anyway, the floor pedal got stuck on the rubber floor mat. I was able to wedge it out fairly quickly, but it was definitely stuck for a couple seconds and the car was stuck accelerating. Good thing the brakes worked while I unwedged the gas pedal...

Moral of the story, check your mats...and door floor the gas pedal.
Old 02-04-10, 09:04 AM
iewiew
Driver

Default Lexus

My concern now is not the sticking accelerator, but the suspicion that it may be an electrical interference problem possibly caused by possibly a cellphone. The CHIPS guy in California that killed his family was on a 911 call reporting a stuck pedal. Go figure!

My other concern is will Toyota survive in one piece over this and when will it spill over to Lexus. I wonder if t his is affecting Lexus sales? Your thoughts.
Old 02-04-10, 12:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
no recalls, but didn't this whole fiasco begin w/ a cop in CA killing 4 people in a lexus loaner accident
two separate issues. that was floor mat related, this is stuck accelerator related
Old 02-04-10, 03:30 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The case where the family died in CA in a dealer/loaner ES goes beyond strange...first, he was ex-CHP so no stranger to vehicle operation. Second, the week before he got the loaner, the previous driver with the same loaner reported back to some dealer personnel (not a manager type), when turning the ES back in, that the pedal stuck and he had the same type of problem. Third, the dealership apparently did not check for the wrong mats before loaning it out again.

Very tragic - and some lawyer's dream come true.
Old 02-04-10, 04:34 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iewiew
My concern now is not the sticking accelerator, but the suspicion that it may be an electrical interference problem possibly caused by possibly a cellphone. The CHIPS guy in California that killed his family was on a 911 call reporting a stuck pedal. Go figure!
I think this is overrated. I'd think cellphones could do damage to your brain, but stuck accelerator? On the other hand, they are banned from the airplanes during liftoff/landing and in the hospitals because they cause interference with electric systems, so maybe.

Originally Posted by iewiew
My other concern is will Toyota survive in one piece over this and when will it spill over to Lexus. I wonder if t his is affecting Lexus sales? Your thoughts.
My thoughts are look at US brands sales figures jump in 1Q 2010. Ford, GM, even Chrysler benefit from Toyota's downfall. No reason to blame the mass media in blowing the smoke up Mr Toyoda's back pipe.
Old 02-06-10, 11:13 AM
chad2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by data2009
I started using sport shifter lately, and I found if you try to downshift gears too fast, Lexus nanny will stop you, with a beep sound.
if you are going at 40mph and try to shift down, and the car wont let you, it is not because you are shifting down too fast. it is because your RPMs would exceed the rev limiter if you for example were trying to shift to 1st gear.
You both bring a really good point. What if putting the gear in NEUTRAL while the gas pedal is "floored" at a very high speed does nothing???? i.e. the Toyota/Lexus "nanny" just ignores it, just like it ignores downshifting or putting the gear in R while you are at highway speeds (as some people on the forum claim).

I wonder if there is a way to test this without damaging the engine!!

Really scary thought!!! could the Toyota Big Brother that is trying to watch over us actually causing these issues???

Just some thoughts...
Old 02-06-10, 11:25 AM
RXSF

What if putting the gear in NEUTRAL while the gas pedal is "floored" at a very high speed does nothing????
oh you dont need to worry about that, neutral works in all situations.
Old 02-06-10, 02:56 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

oh you dont need to worry about that, neutral works in all situations.
my wife was recently telling me about some news show about a lady's prius that was accelerating but would not shift into neutral.

i understand the prius has a CVT instead of a traditional tranny

but so does the rx450, so neutral may not work in all situations for all people
Old 02-06-10, 04:27 PM
Lead Lap

my wife was recently telling me about some news show about a lady's prius that was accelerating but would not shift into neutral.

There has been no accelerator problem reported in the Prius.
There has been some sort of a brake problem reported however. It has been reported that when the Prius is driven over rough roads the brakes can act erratic. I once heard it could be a computer problem used to control the brakes.
Time will tell.
Old 02-06-10, 04:43 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4482
There has been no accelerator problem reported in the Prius.
There has been some sort of a brake problem reported however. It has been reported that when the Prius is driven over rough roads the brakes can act erratic. I once heard it could be a computer problem used to control the brakes.
Time will tell.
i haven't been following prius problems,

but i saw a interview last week w/ apple's co-founder steve wozniak saying he experienced acceleration issues

maybe he's an isolated incident
Old 02-06-10, 05:21 PM
RXSF

Its not really a CVT problem. the prius just has an electronic shifter, which I guess may have programming to stop that. While the 450h has a CVT, it still has a traditional shifter.
Old 02-06-10, 05:30 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Its not really a CVT problem. the prius just has an electronic shifter, which I guess may have programming to stop that. While the 450h has a CVT, it still has a traditional shifter.

so toyota has determined there's a shifter issue w/ the prius ?

Quick Reply: Stuck Accelerator Question