RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone install Viper Smart Start and/or alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 05:50 AM
gopherhock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install Viper Smart Start and/or alarm?

Knowing the stock remote starter is junk, I want to install the cool smart start (via iPhone) unit on my 2010 RX. Anyone done this?

I'd also like to beef up the alarm - my dealer screwed me out of the model with glass breakage detection (long story) and I've already gotten broken into once. I know no alarm will protect against that but I'd at least like the alarm to go off if glass is broken but doors aren't opened.

Wondering if anyone out there has installed one or the other or both?
Old 01-12-10, 06:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

We don't have a Smart Start installed yet and it will be installed on my wife's Nissan, but I have a couple of comments.

The basic Viper module, 5301, we're having installed has 2000 foot range. That way beats the 15-30 foot range of the Lexus remote start.

The Smart Start module does have a couple of limitations. It only works with a 3G cell network and not Edge. It only works with an OPEN WiFi network. There currently isn't a way to use a password protected WiFi network.

By the time our Smart Start is installed, Viper will have Push notifications working with the iPhone so there will be two-way communications between the Viper on the car and the iPhone. I didn't wish to have Best Buy install the Smart Start, so our wait time at another firm for installation is a month and more. The firm did indicate they have done some push-button start Lexus vehicles with good success, but I'm holding off for awhile on my 450h until I see it work on the Nissan.
Old 01-13-10, 04:02 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

If I would have known about this, I would never had the Lexus remote start installed. It blows. I think I will have this installed on my X5 though. I hope it works right and doesn't screw anything up though.
Old 01-13-10, 05:18 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DunWkg

I didn't wish to have Best Buy install the Smart Start, so our wait time at another firm for installation is a month and more. .
That is a VERY wise decision!! A professional install is well worth the wait.
Old 01-13-10, 07:11 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Viper 5901 alarm/remote start with the SmartStart VSM100 add on module. Where I am we have great 3G coverage, which is necessary to use the SmartStart. It works great, it has about a second of lag which is reasonable considering all the infrastructure it's going through and one second makes no difference for remote starting. I would recommend against using the SmartStart as your primary remote though.

As far as Best Buy goes, like every other firm they have some excellent installers and some inexperienced ones. The most important thing is to look for an experienced installer whether it be from Best Buy or somewhere else. Just get to know the installer before you make a purchase, look for MECP certification, years of experience, and experience with Lexus vehicles. I will say I have seen several local places drop off in my area over the past few years, I don't think Best Buy will be going anywhere should you need warranty work for any reason.

The RX isn't a hard vehicle to do, just takes a bit more time to properly integrate a remote start. You can also add window roll up/down and power rear gate control on the viper remote without a whole lot of difficulty.
Old 02-02-10, 09:49 AM
starbai
Intermediate

does anyone know when DEI will be updating to allow for push notifications to get the same functionality as a 2 way pager when the pager is outta range.

ie; phone notifying you the alarm is going off when you're over a mile away?

I spoke to DEI a few months ago and they said the feature is coming, and is in the works. Just no eta...
Old 02-02-10, 10:34 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
does anyone know when DEI will be updating to allow for push notifications to get the same functionality as a 2 way pager when the pager is outta range.

ie; phone notifying you the alarm is going off when you're over a mile away?

I spoke to DEI a few months ago and they said the feature is coming, and is in the works. Just no eta...
I was told it was supposed to be here early February by the tech support department last time I called, not sure how accurate that is. It's supposed to come in the form of an app update when it does come out. Hopefully It'll be soon.
Old 02-02-10, 12:55 PM
starbai
Intermediate

they recently did an update in the app store... i dont know when it came out i just know that it musta been some what recent....

that update allowed for a 'confirmation' of 'signal sent' when you press a button to send out a command.
Old 02-02-10, 02:02 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

they recently did an update in the app store... i dont know when it came out i just know that it musta been some what recent....

that update allowed for a 'confirmation' of 'signal sent' when you press a button to send out a command.
Yeah, I have that update. The next update is supposed to enable full two-way functionality.
Old 02-02-10, 03:20 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scotty6486
Yeah, I have that update. The next update is supposed to enable full two-way functionality.
When did that update come out?

Just curious as to how often they're updating things.

DEI definitly said its coming when i spoke to them on the phone today. the more i asked when, the more the guy made it clear he wasn't going to tell me.

i said so it could be one week or 2 years? and he said all i can say is it'll definitly be way sooner rather than later.

And I said, even an estimate?

And he said he can't give me that information.

Either way the fact that its coming is cool.
Old 02-02-10, 06:42 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg

The Smart Start module does have a couple of limitations. It only works with a 3G cell network and not Edge. It only works with an OPEN WiFi network. There currently isn't a way to use a password protected WiFi network.
I would like to stand corrected. Yesterday I finally got it installed on a Nissan. My network is password protected, it works just fine.

I receive a push notification a command is received after pressing the start button on the iPhone. "Command Received at Vehicle".

The application is also password protected,if you allow others to use your phone. Opening the trunk is two steps to help unintended opening.

The car runs for 12 minutes, then turns off.

Sorry for any confusion I may have created.
Old 02-02-10, 07:51 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

When did that update come out?

Just curious as to how often they're updating things.

DEI definitly said its coming when i spoke to them on the phone today. the more i asked when, the more the guy made it clear he wasn't going to tell me.

i said so it could be one week or 2 years? and he said all i can say is it'll definitly be way sooner rather than later.

And I said, even an estimate?

And he said he can't give me that information.

Either way the fact that its coming is cool.
The update they just released came out in Jan. I called tech support for a customer (I work for a DEI dealer) and the gentlemen I spoke to said beginning of February a full two-way update will be released. Not sure if he actually knew what he was talking about, but he sounded pretty confident.
Old 02-02-10, 08:03 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scotty6486
The update they just released came out in Jan. I called tech support for a customer (I work for a DEI dealer) and the gentlemen I spoke to said beginning of February a full two-way update will be released. Not sure if he actually knew what he was talking about, but he sounded pretty confident.
well its feb 2nd so give it a week or two and I guess we'll know if beg of feb is accurate!

Thanks for the info and update though!

I'm having the Viper 5902 installed in my S2000 today... should be done by tomorrow mid day.... so will be playing with that soon.

I've already got a Clifford 50.7x in my Accord and depending on how I like it and if the full two way system works the way I think it should, I'll be adding the smart start feature to that car as well.
Old 10-13-10, 08:37 AM
napdawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gopherhock
Knowing the stock remote starter is junk, I want to install the cool smart start (via iPhone) unit on my 2010 RX. Anyone done this?

I'd also like to beef up the alarm - my dealer screwed me out of the model with glass breakage detection (long story) and I've already gotten broken into once. I know no alarm will protect against that but I'd at least like the alarm to go off if glass is broken but doors aren't opened.

Wondering if anyone out there has installed one or the other or both?
I just had the SmartStart installed on my RX 350 over the weekend. The installers were good at what they do I had one problem.

After performing the install with all the wires setup per manufac (DEI), my auto high-beams would not work. In order to correct this, the bypass wire for headlights was "pulsed" to the door.. which I understood to mean that the stock security system turns on after 30-seconds and this will cause the headlights to turn off.

Other than that, the only quirk of the whole system is that when you use SS to turn on, the SS uses a macro which basically unlocks the doors (momentarily) and re-locks the doors. Not a huge deal.. but just something to be aware of.

Also, do not use SS to turn on the car while the lexus key fob is in the car..the system goes haywire.

Let me know if you have any questions... My install price was $550 + a $100 3-yr service plan with Viper. Hopefully my experience will save some headaches and frustration for anyone attempting to have this done.
Old 10-13-10, 06:01 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

How are you guys getting by the key fob issue...meaning the key fob not being detected in the car.

Quick Reply: Anyone install Viper Smart Start and/or alarm?