RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

looking to trade in the 2000 RX300 for a RX350...questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 05:51 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to trade in the 2000 RX300 for a RX350...questions

Hi everyone,

I'm usually over at the 2nd Gen IS forum but now my parents are thinking of trading in the ol' 2000 RX for a '10 RX350...i have a question about the "sport package"

i'm comparing the canadian sport and touring packages (ultra premium is a huge rip off for what you get...plus that side mirror camera sucks...tried it...hate it)

in the sport package...they add:
  • Sport-tuned Steering
  • Sport-Tuned Suspension
  • Unique Alloy Wheel Finish

...on top of what the touring package offers.

My question is, the tuned suspension...is it the same shocks and springs that's just tuned or is it different shocks/springs? the difference is $2050 CDN...is it worth it to get the sport package?

also, MDX or RX350 and why? i'm going to head out to acura tomorrow and try it but it's nice to get input from ya'll

thanks!
Old 01-07-10, 12:51 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As one of the few people on this forum who actually owns one with the Sport Package, I can tell you:

- Different shocks.
- Different springs.

I know for certain because when I took delivery, the next day my husband queried me about what it would take to get the suspension "softened" a little. The answer was new shocks and springs.

I liked the RX350 over the MDX because I thought the fit and finish was superior on the Lexus, and I hated the cockpit design of the MDX. I also am not fond of the Acura styling - the MDX looks like a pill bug to me, ready to roll up its shell and careen down the road.

Sandi
Old 01-07-10, 04:07 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

thanks for your reply sandi!

Have you tried the car without sport? how does it compare? better? stiffer?

thanks!
Old 01-07-10, 04:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

w1ck3d64, I have driven both and the sport gives a slightly firmer ride and feel of the road. Non-sport is a tad softer. Now my preference is the sport package because it's tight. But it's not for everyone. Best thing to do is drive one with and without if you can.

Sandi, love your pill bug description on the MDX. I'll never be able to look at them the same way again
Old 01-08-10, 02:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
As one of the few people on this forum who actually owns one with the Sport Package, I can tell you:

- Different shocks.
- Different springs.

I know for certain because when I took delivery, the next day my husband queried me about what it would take to get the suspension "softened" a little. The answer was new shocks and springs.
sandi, do the oem sport springs sit a tad lower than the regular RX springs? or are they the same stance wise?
Old 01-08-10, 03:41 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
w1ck3d64, I have driven both and the sport gives a slightly firmer ride and feel of the road. Non-sport is a tad softer. Now my preference is the sport package because it's tight. But it's not for everyone. Best thing to do is drive one with and without if you can.

Sandi, love your pill bug description on the MDX. I'll never be able to look at them the same way again
thanks for your input anita! i'm going to cut out the MDX after driving it...it's a little too complicated for a car imo...there are just buttons everywhere...and what's up with the no push button start? that's just silly at this price range...also, it's just not that spacious

test drove a fx-35 and i am in love with that car...it's just incredible and is definitely a tight car...but it does use significantly more gas (understandably so because of a more powerful engine and the 100% RWD during cruise) and visibility (ie. blind spots) aren't as good as the RX...

decisions decisions...

would you guys happen to know if the sport package is as tight as the fx? i'm thinking it'll be slightly softer...going to get into a sport RX and see how that goes

-Vince
Old 01-09-10, 11:09 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
thanks for your reply sandi!

Have you tried the car without sport? how does it compare? better? stiffer?

thanks!
I think the Sport package is better for MY preferences. It's stiffer, handles much more precisely, and it's MUCH more fun in cornering.

The non-sport package is definitely softer, with more body roll. Not as much to my taste.

Sandi
Old 01-09-10, 11:10 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stormforge
sandi, do the oem sport springs sit a tad lower than the regular RX springs? or are they the same stance wise?
No idea, Stormforge. Sorry!

-S
Old 01-09-10, 11:14 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

test drove a fx-35 and i am in love with that car...it's just incredible and is definitely a tight car...but it does use significantly more gas (understandably so because of a more powerful engine and the 100% RWD during cruise) and visibility (ie. blind spots) aren't as good as the RX...

decisions decisions...
Nope, I didn't test drive the FX-35. I had a Nissan after college. Even though I bought it with less than 30K miles, and from the original owner, I had ENDLESS EXPENSIVE problems with it. I evventually traded it in when the ignition module failed, which resulted in overheating and a blown head gasket. I swore to never own another Nissan, so they were never on my research list...

would you guys happen to know if the sport package is as tight as the fx? i'm thinking it'll be slightly softer...going to get into a sport RX and see how that goes

-Vince
Again, no idea. Take a look in the general Car Chat forum; I'm sure MMarshall has written a driving review of it, and he's pretty much in line with my impressions of jointly-test-driven cars....

The problem, at least when I was checking in May/June/July last year, was that there were absolutely NO RX350's with the Sport Package on ANY lot in California. I had to special order my car WITHOUT having the "luxury" of having driven it first. The Lexus dealer was great, though, and didn't require an upfront or non-refundable deposit. I was free to buy it (or not) once it came in 6 months after "ordering" it. I chose to buy it.

Good luck on finding one with the Sport Package...if you do, post up your comparison impressions; we'd be interested, I'm sure...

Sandi
Old 01-09-10, 11:55 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the FX is definately going to be the better handling car compared the the RX sport package.

Lexus sport package = standard feel of the other brands
Old 01-11-10, 09:15 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

hmm thanks for everyone's input! i appreciate it

i think we're leaning towards the FX...yeah it's not as spacious but it's only a little bit less roomy than the RX...also, the highest package with infiniti has more useful techy stuff for the same amount of money (minus the power rear door)..

i'm not too fond of the mouse since it's kind of hard to use it when the car is moving...also, infiniti's all around camera is just astonishing and got tons of sensors which will help my mom park and it's got the sportiness which my dad will love hehe
Old 01-11-10, 09:32 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm a bit surprised that anyone that was close to buying a RX would shift to an FX. They are almost polar opposites as far as driving dynamics. The FX is based on the same chassis as the G37 and very sporty. It has really good acceleration and handles extremely well. The downsides of being this sporty is that the ride is very stiff, lots of road noise, and very small cargo area. The latest FX with the 7 speed automatic is not that far from RX gas mileage. It just seems to me to be about as far from the smooth, quiet nature of the RX as an SUV can get. The closest competitor for the FX would, to me, be the BMW X3.

My second choice when I got my RX was the Audi Q5. It is quite a bit sportier than the RX without the really harsh ride of the FX.

I don't mean to bash Infiniti, my other car is a G35 coupe and I love it for what it is.

Steve
Old 01-11-10, 01:23 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the stiff ride of the FX. Now, maybe Infinity has changed the FX since '07, but I rode in a friend's with the sport suspension and wow it was horrible! It certainly wasn't as bad as my work truck--an Isuzu LCF where I sit right over the front tires--but it was bad.

Make sure your parents test one out first.
Old 01-11-10, 05:35 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another factor to consider...Canadian RX's only get 2 tire brands...The Michelin's that are supplied by the plant in Cambridge and the Dunlop's that are equipped on Japanese sourced RX's. All sport packages (at least up to a month ago) are Japanese sourced. I would encourage you and your parents to drive both. Dunlops offer a harsh ride where every pothole is felt and have a wearout factor of about 220 compared with 440 of the Michelins -so twice as fast. I feel like I have been short-changed with the Dunlops!Have your folks drive both- see what they like!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 01-12-10, 12:06 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

thanks for all your inputs guys...parents going to test them all out this saturday...ya even i told them...if it's comfort they are looking for...the RX is like no other

Quick Reply: looking to trade in the 2000 RX300 for a RX350...questions