RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

AWD Snow Prowess

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 09:05 PM
picker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Snow Prowess

My wife's RX got us through some messy snow that closed I90 in PA. Here are a few images from her album

some AWD info quoted from here

The 2010 RX350 introduces an all-new electronically controlled Active
Torque Control AWD system. The previous RX350 model’s AWD system
used a viscous coupling locking center differential to provide 50:50 torque
distribution. In the 2010 RX350, Active Torque Control AWD uses an
electronically controlled coupling ahead of the rear differential to vary
torque distribution anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, depending
on driving dynamics and road conditions. The new AWD system is 35lbs.
lighter than before and reduces parasitic losses by 30%. When
accelerating, or starting off on a low-grip surface, torque is quickly
provided to all four wheels. At steady speeds, torque is sent only to the
front wheels, enhancing fuel efficiency. For handling agility and control, the
AWD system increases rear-wheel torque when the vehicle’s front tires
start to lose traction and decreases rear-wheel torque when the vehicle’s
rear tires start to lose traction. On rough or sandy terrain, an AWD LOCK
switch provides enhanced traction performance for low-speed maneuvering
(if in LOCK mode, the system reverts to AUTO mode when your speed
exceeds 25mph). To help prevent a tight corner-braking condition
(shuddering) during low-speed cornering, the system reduces rear wheel
torque.

Glad to be home.

Last edited by picker; 11-14-10 at 10:30 AM. Reason: images moved on server
Old 01-03-10, 11:22 PM
jquinn14
Driver School Candidate

Drove in similiar conditions over Donnor Pass on the way to Incline Village. RX performed like a champ. Solid, solid, solid.
Old 01-04-10, 08:21 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Mine has done well in MD as well. The worst part is seeing it covered in salt and sand at the end of the day!
Old 01-04-10, 10:42 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
Mine has done well in MD as well. The worst part is seeing it covered in salt and sand at the end of the day!
Painful for me to see it, especially with my Black Sapphire Pearl!
Old 01-04-10, 11:48 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Luckily we have a touchless car wash near my house that is open no matter what the temp. It helps get most of the grime off it.
Old 01-04-10, 06:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Imho...

I drove on the worse conditions on the weekend prior to Xmas. As I said before, Active
Torque Control AWD system wasn't performing too well during the new snow situation. RX seemed to work intermittently; btwn FWD and AWD. I believe RX's power can do from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, but it seemed RX doesn't like to spend 1 second longer in AWD. It will shift the power only if they detect the slippery situation; otherwise, it stays with FWD.

In snow, I prefer "RX continuously shifts some power to the rear" to "RX stays often on FWD, and shifts power to the rear when detecting skid".
Old 01-04-10, 07:06 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
I drove on the worse conditions on the weekend prior to Xmas. As I said before, Active
Torque Control AWD system wasn't performing too well during the new snow situation. RX seemed to work intermittently; btwn FWD and AWD. I believe RX's power can do from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, but it seemed RX doesn't like to spend 1 second longer in AWD. It will shift the power only if they detect the slippery situation; otherwise, it stays with FWD.

In snow, I prefer "RX continuously shifts some power to the rear" to "RX stays often on FWD, and shifts power to the rear when detecting skid".
Too much "thinking" occurs in normal mode but with ECT Snow enabled, I didn't feel "changes/switching" occurring to front/rear wheels. It was really annoying whenever the distribution changes occur as it flip/flop back and forth. next time I will tackle heavy snow with Snow ECT enable and TRAC OFF [3 seconds]. Lightly covered road, Snow ECT alone worked really nicely.
Old 01-04-10, 07:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sightdev
Too much "thinking" occurs in normal mode but with ECT Snow enabled, I didn't feel "changes/switching" occurring to front/rear wheels. It was really annoying whenever the distribution changes occur as it flip/flop back and forth. next time I will tackle heavy snow with Snow ECT enable and TRAC OFF [3 seconds]. Lightly covered road, Snow ECT alone worked really nicely.
I have to agree with you about this "ECT Snow enabled". Yes, RX did work well so far under this mode. I should make my comments clearer. And, be honest to you, the power-shift is almost doing seamlessly. In some rare situation, you may feel the difference only after the rears suddently gain the power under slippage.

Again, my main complaint is that "Active Torque Control AWD system" isn't working well in "normal". Besdies the new snow, I also got the serious skid in snow-broth roads with about 30 mph speed. All the cars I observed were pass through pretty stably, except my RX.
Old 01-05-10, 05:47 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

I have to agree with you about this "ECT Snow enabled". Yes, RX did work well so far under this mode. I should make my comments clearer. And, be honest to you, the power-shift is almost doing seamlessly. In some rare situation, you may feel the difference only after the rears suddently gain the power under slippage.

Again, my main complaint is that "Active Torque Control AWD system" isn't working well in "normal". Besdies the new snow, I also got the serious skid in snow-broth roads with about 30 mph speed. All the cars I observed were pass through pretty stably, except my RX.
What brand of tires do you have on your RX?
Old 01-05-10, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its a light duty AWD system, it cannot sent power to the back at high speed for a long duration of time or else it will over heat. I prefer the permenent AWD system in the winter time. I miss the good old days when one can turn their 4WD on and off
Old 01-05-10, 04:08 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
What brand of tires do you have on your RX?
Bridgestone tires. (RX - Built in Cambridge)

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its a light duty AWD system, it cannot sent power to the back at high speed for a long duration of time or else it will over heat. I prefer the permenent AWD system in the winter time. I miss the good old days when one can turn their 4WD on and off
My next SUV will be permanent AWD for sure.
Old 01-05-10, 05:52 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

There is an AWD locking feature on the console...? Anyone try it?

Have used AWD multiple times this winter in New England storms. Very good, surprisingly good in fact. Tool it out some early mornings when it was just me and the plows on heavily covered roads to see how it would handle and I had not one problem.
Old 01-06-10, 08:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I live in NE as well, we had a RAV4 with the same electronic AWD system as the RX. It is surprising good for a reaction based AWD system, especially when combined with Lexus' stability system. Lexus's electronic AWD system is light years ahead of the on in my old MDX, which uses the same type of AWD system. We traded in our RAV4 a few months ago for a SUV with permenent AWD. The permenent AWD feel more secure on snowy highway and it doesnt need to detect slip before it goes into AWD mode. Sometimes that split second that it takes to send power to the rear wheel means a lot.
Old 01-06-10, 09:15 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Could someone clarify for me----I thought the lock button was something to be used only when starting out/stuck in the snow and that it shuts off automatically at about 30 or 40 mph ?? Should I be hitting the lock button myself when cruising along the highway at 40-50mph on snowy roads (like last Thursday in MA)? or does it engage by itself when it feels it is necessary?
I bought the car in July, so I didn't think to ask the dealer snow-related questions.
Old 01-06-10, 10:02 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

My 450h has 'hybrid snow' mode that fires up the rear wheel motors at speeds under 35MPH continuously instead of waiting to detect a slip. When engaged, the RX compares well to the X5 BMW AWD.

On ice I miss my Goodyear triple treads -- amazing control in awful conditions. The RX does well but not as well as the so tired X5.

Quick Reply: AWD Snow Prowess