RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navtraffic-2010rx350

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 06:35 AM
lf4318
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Navtraffic-2010rx350

When I use the voice commands to get Nav traffic and I request the info for a certain highway, I always get the same voice message back "no traffic information to report". I have never received any info ever through the voice command. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I find that many of the highways I travel on, never show the flow of traffic on the map.
Old 12-31-09, 06:53 AM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lf4318
When I use the voice commands to get Nav traffic and I request the info for a certain highway, I always get the same voice message back "no traffic information to report". I have never received any info ever through the voice command. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I find that many of the highways I travel on, never show the flow of traffic on the map.
From my experience with XM NAV Traffic, it is a total waste of money. The concept is great, but it is too dependent on outside sources for up to date data. All highway work/traffic incidents have to be entered into national database by local authorities and evidently stays there until they(local authorities) remove it.

I have been traveling over a stretch of interstate 20 for several weeks with NavTraff reporting closed lanes. Construction has ended and I never experienced closed lanes, yet it still reports problems each time I travel thru area.

In two years it has never reported an accurate timely incident. You are better off tuning to a local radio station for accurate local traffic info.

I included NavTraffic in my three year package, but will not keep it when renewal comes up this summer.
Old 12-31-09, 07:08 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We took our RX to Richmond, VA last week and we did notice the system was good up in Northern VA around all the highway mergers but once we hit Stafford there was no more information.
Old 12-31-09, 08:04 AM
np0531
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go to their website to see what services they offer in each city.

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc

I was excited about the Nav Traffic when I first got the RX thinking it would show the traffic flow on the highways and make my commutes much easier. Unfortunately, after refreshing the XM signal a couple times and complaining to them that the flow data wasn't being shown, I realized they don't offer Traffic Flow in Miami...only incident reports, which are generally inaccurate in Miami.

Nice idea, but as it stands right now its just a waste of money imo. Unless you live in one of the few cities that offer flow data I guess...
Old 12-31-09, 09:59 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by np0531
You can go to their website to see what services they offer in each city.

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc

I was excited about the Nav Traffic when I first got the RX thinking it would show the traffic flow on the highways and make my commutes much easier. Unfortunately, after refreshing the XM signal a couple times and complaining to them that the flow data wasn't being shown, I realized they don't offer Traffic Flow in Miami...only incident reports, which are generally inaccurate in Miami.

Nice idea, but as it stands right now its just a waste of money imo. Unless you live in one of the few cities that offer flow data I guess...
Since Miami has incident enabled Interstates and many surface roads, it's probably only a matter of time.

It works pretty well in the Atlanta area as the traffic cams are well monitored. I've received one incident report on Local GA HWY 20 and it saved me some time.

I get the biggest benefit using the colored traffic flow indicators on the highways. You'll probably get the flow indicator soon if you have the other.
Old 12-31-09, 04:06 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found out during a recent 2500 mile trip that the NAV-TRAFFIC only works in metropolitan areas. While on I-4 going through Orlando it did alert me to an accident however. I wish the NAV-TRAFFIC had worked on I-95 in Georgia. I drove for about 30 miles through a construction area and the NAV-TRAFFIC showed absolutely nothing.

NavTraffic might be worth the extra money if you do a lot of city driving.
Old 12-31-09, 06:42 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

XM Navi Traffic isn't really working well in Tri-state areas. If you like, please feel free to review this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...after-all.html

Also, XM Navi Traffic doesn't have the coverage of all highways/freeways yet.