RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

NAV -- Not so bad after all.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 09:36 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
You can always "see" those alerts no matter whether or not you use Navi guidelines. I don't recall if RX Navi will warn you by voice though.
It does. One time the warning was followed by a pop up window that asked if I wanted to detour. The second time I had to specify that I wanted to detour.

The verbal warning is something like 'congested traffic on route'.
Old 12-31-09, 10:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
It does. One time the warning was followed by a pop up window that asked if I wanted to detour. The second time I had to specify that I wanted to detour.

The verbal warning is something like 'congested traffic on route'.
Were you under guidance?
Old 12-31-09, 11:33 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a Garmin and oem system, I can tell you the handheld gets confuse alot if you are in the city, with lots of high rise buildings. Also, if you pull into a gas station, it will start to reroute. I had miss turns on the handheld because it will tell you to turn after I pass the street. On the OEM system, I never had this issue.
Old 01-01-10, 06:35 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Were you under guidance?
Yes. Traffic alerts are tied to routing, so it needs a route to reference.
Old 01-01-10, 06:36 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by wyau01
I have both a Garmin and oem system, I can tell you the handheld gets confuse alot if you are in the city, with lots of high rise buildings. Also, if you pull into a gas station, it will start to reroute. I had miss turns on the handheld because it will tell you to turn after I pass the street. On the OEM system, I never had this issue.

Very true. Especially when powering up. The smaller antenna just can't cope with big buildings.
Old 01-03-10, 01:59 PM
sophos
Driver School Candidate

If I'm remembering correctly, the Lexus NAV system is able to track where you are by speed and direction sensing between GPS updates. This is one way in which built-in NAV systems are much better than the portable ones.
Old 01-03-10, 02:23 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

This is true, and is why the NAV will track your position through, for example, a long tunnel, although any system will pick up its location as soon as sat contact is re-established. However, this ability has come in handy in the center of large cities where tall buildings make constant satellite contact difficult.
Old 01-03-10, 02:46 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

My experience is that NAV worked well in downtown Chicago until I missed a turn among the towers. Then I got a message something like -- You are so close, refer to the map for final destination. Terrific.

Extra incentive to stay on course.
Old 01-03-10, 04:08 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience is that NAV worked well in downtown Chicago until I missed a turn among the towers. Then I got a message something like -- You are so close, refer to the map for final destination. Terrific.

Extra incentive to stay on course.
Fogcutter
That message may have been referring to the 'footprint' map.
Old 01-04-10, 06:58 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the previous posters. I had a Garmin with my non-Nav '07RX. It was great until I went into Boston. The tunnels and tall buildings made it almost useless. However, my '10RX with NAV has never lost a signal even when going through the long Ted Williams tunnel. It's a little quirky at times, but I've come to the conclusion that all Nav systems, integral or hand-held, have their quirks and you just have to learn to deal with them. I happen to think the "mouse" system is terrific--very easily used by driver or passenger. I do also have the Prestigious Society over-ride which is great!
Old 01-04-10, 11:29 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by jclem
\ I happen to think the "mouse" system is terrific--very easily used by driver or passenger. I do also have the Prestigious Society over-ride which is great!
Really good point. The BMW iDrive works but is a lot more effort. The Lexus interface is very close to being a computer mouse IMHO. Much more intuitive. Whoever added the tactile feedback feature is a genius. I can work the system while driving and not have to focus on it so much as to lose track of the road.
Old 01-04-10, 01:33 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After 4k miles, I'm beginning to really like the NAV in my 450h. The lock out in motion is a pain, but the traffic alert and detour routing is wonderful. Only yesterday it sent me around a wreck on the bridge in Cincinnati, and I really enjoyed watching the masses stewing as I crossed the Ohio River on an adjacent bridge and popped up on the first exit after the traffic jam. Sort of mean, but better them than me, right?

Making peace with the NAV seems to be mostly a matter of getting beyond the Garmin.

Anyway, now I like the Lexus NAV.
Is the traffic alert a free feature? You don't need to subscribe to something?
Old 01-04-10, 01:49 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Traffic info, like lunch, is not free. The traffic info is a part of the Satellite Radio package, and requires a monthly or annual fee. But if you look at it right, a subscription to traffic and weather info gives you Howard Stern for free.
Old 01-04-10, 01:53 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Is the traffic alert a free feature? You don't need to subscribe to something?
There is a charge, comes as part of the XM service. My wife has Sirius, when I have a chance I'm going to call and see if there is a family bundle of some kind.

The bad thing about the traffic service is that it only covers some areas, and there is no way to test it without a traffic jam while navigating through those areas. Could go weeks and never hear a peep from it. I was lucky it sounded twice during the trial period or I would have dropped it. So far it has worked very well.

The Weather service only shows alerts and warnings, not radar. I don't plan to continue it -- UNLESS THEY ADD RADAR. (Just in case someone at Lexus reads this board.)
Old 01-04-10, 07:18 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Weather service only shows alerts and warnings, not radar. I don't plan to continue it -- UNLESS THEY ADD RADAR. (Just in case someone at Lexus reads this board.)
Agreed, would like to see Radar as well. But still find it useful.

Quick Reply: NAV -- Not so bad after all.