RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A few new mods...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 08:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A few new mods...

I installed the PS navi/dvd override kit and lexus glass sensor last month, but didn't get a chance to post. No installation pics of the sensor or override kit unfortunately, but here's a couple pictures of the glass sensor.

No pics of the navi/override, will post up on where I located my switch when I get a chance to take some pics.

Some observations about the glass sensor: works OK, but it seems you have to hit the glass a bit harder than I would care to trigger the alarm. My installer recommended that I keep it at the default sensitivity level recommended by Lexus, which I think was at around sensitivity 7 or so (maximum sensitivity is 10 I think?). If I get around to it, I'll have my installer adjust it higher, no biggie. If not, the RX is still protected if there's a break-in.
Old 12-21-09, 10:52 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stormforge, this is very interesting. Btw, it costs around $205 for the factory installation when buying the new RX. May I know how much this part costs? Thanks.
Old 12-22-09, 12:58 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
I installed the PS navi/dvd override kit and lexus glass sensor last month, but didn't get a chance to post. No installation pics of the sensor or override kit unfortunately, but here's a couple pictures of the glass sensor.

No pics of the navi/override, will post up on where I located my switch when I get a chance to take some pics.

Some observations about the glass sensor: works OK, but it seems you have to hit the glass a bit harder than I would care to trigger the alarm. My installer recommended that I keep it at the default sensitivity level recommended by Lexus, which I think was at around sensitivity 7 or so (maximum sensitivity is 10 I think?). If I get around to it, I'll have my installer adjust it higher, no biggie. If not, the RX is still protected if there's a break-in.
be carefull on hittin glass better stay inside car and clap as loud as you can and it should trigger it, as all glass sensors reacts to it
Old 12-22-09, 10:04 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rxets
Stormforge, this is very interesting. Btw, it costs around $205 for the factory installation when buying the new RX. May I know how much this part costs? Thanks.
if memory serves me right, it's around $118 (including shipping). got this from sewell lexus, as the pics show. if you are good at taking panels apart and following instructions, you can save yourself professional install labour by doing this yourself. there is a detailed install instruction (in color!) provided by lexus. you can download this from sewell lexus, or pm me and i can email you a pdf copy.

Originally Posted by Audriuss
be carefull on hittin glass better stay inside car and clap as loud as you can and it should trigger it, as all glass sensors reacts to it
thx for the tip!

on a side note for canadian lexus RX owners, the lexus glass breakage sensor is NOT available in canada. you need to order this from the states and have it installed. i asked my local lexus dealer how much they would charge for installing the glass sensor, and they reply at least 3 hrs labour if not more as they have never installed a glass sensor before. best tip for you is to either install this yourself or find a local car stereo shop to do this for you.

Last edited by Stormforge; 12-22-09 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 10:08 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

sweet, Storm.. What else have you done to your ride? I haven't been around for a while. Took a loooong vacation
Old 12-22-09, 10:13 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by DOUS
sweet, Storm.. What else have you done to your ride? I haven't been around for a while. Took a loooong vacation
hope you had a great vacation! all i've done so far is just the clear bra, glass sensor and ps override kit for now. more to come in the spring (i hope!)
Old 12-22-09, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What Lexus really need is a tilt or incline sensor in their alarm system to help prevent thiefs from towing your vehicle away.
Old 12-22-09, 10:20 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

Had a great vacation thanks! Congrats on yer mods so far! The next mod I'd like to do is get summer wheels and tires and eventually use the stock 19's as a winter wheel/tire. I already have tints and clear bra as well.

Any suggestions on the summer wheels? Wat's the widest I can go on 20s for the RX?
Old 12-22-09, 11:03 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
What Lexus really need is a tilt or incline sensor in their alarm system to help prevent thiefs from towing your vehicle away.
in Europe u get those sensors as standart....
Old 12-22-09, 12:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats Stormforge. Please post pictures of the PS override when you get a chance. I didn't think I'd want it but am reconsidering.
Old 12-22-09, 01:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
i think most auto manufacturers don't have this feature in their factory alarms (that i know of). unfortunately, we need to go with an aftermarket alarm system to have the tilt/incline sensor.

Originally Posted by DOUS
Had a great vacation thanks! Congrats on yer mods so far! The next mod I'd like to do is get summer wheels and tires and eventually use the stock 19's as a winter wheel/tire. I already have tints and clear bra as well.

Any suggestions on the summer wheels? Wat's the widest I can go on 20s for the RX?
i personally love Work wheels. they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. i haven't started looking at wheel/tire size and offset yet, so i can't give you an answer. let me do some research and i'll get back to you.

Originally Posted by Audriuss
in Europe u get those sensors as standart....
really?!?! you get tilt sensor with your factory alarm? does your owner's manual say that, or you were told by your dealer? please provide more info!

Originally Posted by kitlz
Congrats Stormforge. Please post pictures of the PS override when you get a chance. I didn't think I'd want it but am reconsidering.
give me a reminder if i don't post up in a couple of days!